Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Bathroom Drama; Mad Scientist; Kung Pao Chicken Recipe

Got up early to do some studying. Ugh, I can't believe it's already time to take finals. or in my case, final.

Breakfast: oatmeal with strawberries and WW strawberry yogurt (4 pts). Very filling and good. It was more like a dessert than a breakfast. I'll have to do this again.
When I grow up I want to be a mad scientist. Or at least an angry one. ;-) Now I will share one of my geeky science tricks that I love to do. It usually impresses people. Hope you're impressed! :)
.
You'll need a grape, a plate and a microwave.
.
First, cut the grape so that the skin is still barely intact. You won't cut all the way through. Then turn it cut side down (leaving the skin intact) so that it looks like butt cheeks (or boobs) on the plate.

Place in the microwave for a few seconds and enjoy the show. Take it out as soon as the sparks stop or you will have burnt grape smell. Not a Yankee Candle future fragrance.

I know. I'm such a geek but proud of it. For Mother's Day last year I got a microscope. I like to take samples of the water that the kids swim in and then look at it under the microscope and freak them out.
.
This is my favorite watch that I've had for years. I'll cry when it finally dies. Any other geeks out there or am I the only one?
Took the kids to the "Y" for PE. I had to visit the women's facilities while there. I went to unroll a piece of toilet tissue and it falls off the holder and rolls away under the door! Come on! Really? Why me? I was able to grab a tiny piece from under the door and pull on it but all that did was unravel it further. I got my share, flushed and caught the runaway paper. My life.
.
UPDATE: Forgot to mention that I had a Fiber One Bar on the road while running errands (2 pts)
.
Lunch: spicy tuna sushi with cucumber (6 pts)

Got a last chance workout with Jillian and did Shred Level 1. I haven't done it in a while and boy did I feel it! Ouch. But I did it.

Dinner: Kung Pao Chicken over brown rice (7 pts) VERY good. Another one of those "make this" recipes. Try it. Plus you get some veggies. The chicken itself is only 4 pts. A cup of cooked brown rice will cost you 3 points.
Kung Pao Chicken (4 pts plus whatever you serve it with)
based on a recipe from That's My Home
1 egg white
2 tsp cornstarch
Pinch salt
1/2lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 3/4" cubes
1 TBS Hoisin sauce
1 TBS vinegar
2 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tsp sweetener (Stevia, Splenda, etc)
1/2 tsp hot chili paste
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp olive oil
some crushed red pepper flakes to taste
3 cups steamed broccoli florets
1/4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
.
In a medium bowl, whisk the first 3 ingredients until smooth. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Refrigerate, covered for about 30 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the hoisin through the garlic with 3 TBS of water. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat oil. Add the chicken mixture. Cook tossing lightly, until the chicken becomes translucent (do not brown), 1-2 minutes. Transfer chicken and juices to a plate and keep warm. Return the skillet to the hear; add the hoisin sauce mixture and crushed red peppers and cook, stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Stir in the chicken, broccoli; cook, stirring gently until heated through, 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with the peanuts, serve at once.
.
Makes 4 servings 4 points


Dessert: watermelon (1 pt) And it was so darn good. Love watermelon. I could eat a whole one. Or at least half of one. :)

Points: 21/24
Activity: +2


Tomorrow is weigh in. Wish me luck. :)

8 comments:

  1. He-he-he....Kelly said boobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never done the grape thing...interesting! and your watch is fun...looks like something I would have....my watch doesn't have numbers and i'm always like "it's around 2"!

    and your supper look delish!!

    my fingers & toes are crossed for your wi tomorrow....GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha - love the runaway toilet paper!! Story of my life, too ;)

    Thanks for sharing that Kung Pao Chick recipe -looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously...grapes catch on fire? I know what I'll be showing the kiddies this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The grapes spark more than actually burn. Think of an electrical arc and that's pretty much it. The theory is that an arc is created between the two humps on the grape. It's really quite cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DH is supposed to be running with me when it gets nicer out so I think I'll feel more safe!

    Oh and on the sweet potato fries...I usually just put a tsp of EVOO on them and bake at 425-450 for 20 minutes or so. I like to flip them half way so they are evenly baked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny about the toilet paper!

    And that Kung Pao chicken sounds delicious and looks so appealing in the picture too. You're making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, oh, man, that chicken and brown rice sure is calling my name!

    By the way, I'm a geek too, and proud of it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)