Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Food Log: 3/9/09; Hunger; Shred; Anger

I have been hungry all day! Whats the deal? Is it the time change? The change of seasons? All of the above? That little Hungry Monster has been following me around all day.

Breakfast: the ever exciting oatmeal (2 pts).
Midmorning snack: apple (1 pt)
Doing mountains of laundry today. Doesn't that sound fun? Plus cleaning up the place. I would be embarrassed to have a maid see it. I hate cleaning house.

Lunch break: leftover spaghetti (5 pts) and some grapes (1 pt).

I thought for a snack I would try the golden corn vitatops that I had bought. I have been wanting some cornbread. These things are nasty! I took one bite and tossed it. I'm somewhat disappointed but feel confident that my life will go on. So much for easy, low point cornbread.
I still wanted that snack though so I reached for a tried and true bag of 100 calorie Chips Ahoy cookies. (2 pts) Always good.
After more laundry duty, I heard Jillian calling. I have been avoiding her lately. But I answered the call of the few, the brave and the shredded.
Here she is kicking my ass all over the place. Don't you just love her?


For some reason my 8 year old son just can't stand it when I exercise. He always needs something. All I ask is 20 minutes of mommy time. Today was no different. The boy wanted an apple right during cardio part 2 and started crying when he couldn't cut his apple. I freaked. I'm not proud of it but I freaked out.

I told him that there is no crying over fruit in this house! You eat the thing like everyone else does. And why oh why can't I have just 20 minutes to exercise?

I put on my running shoes and headed out the door. Chuck was mowing grass and realized quickly that I needed a little alone time.

I walked for quite a while and jogged off and on. It was good and by the time I got home it was getting dark. Time to cook dinner.

My little guy told me he was sorry. I think his dad had something to do with the apology. :) We hugged and made up. We'll see how the next exercise session goes.

I had bought these precooked grilled chicken at the store to try. Rachel had one for lunch and it was great. And only 2 points per breast! They're already pre-trimmed so there's no fat to cut off. I'm going to buy some more.

I made an Asian Chicken Salad (4 pts) with the chicken. I'll include the recipe at the end of the post. It's great!

For a snack I tried these Jalapeno Cheese crackers (2 pts) in the shape of Texas. These are seriously some of the best crackers I've had. And just like their name implies, these crackers are crack for me! LOVE THEM!
Gotta have dessert, people! So it was a skinny cow Caramel Cone (3 pts).

Later, before bed I popped some popcorn (1 pt).

I heard it was Purim tonight. So in honor of the holiday I had a beer (1 pt). I have to do my part to celebrate. :)
Chuck, thanks for getting me a beer and taking a picture for me. It was good.
Then it was bedtime.


Points: 22/28
Activity: 3 pts earned
Shred Level 1
Walk/jog
Calories burned: 2508
Steps: 7565
Chinese Chicken Chop
from Hungry Girl cookbook
2 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
1 cup shredded green cabbage
3 oz cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
1/2 cup canned mandarin oranges in juice, drained
1/2 cup canned sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
2 Tablespoons minced scallions
2 Tablespoons Fiber One bran cereal (original)
Place lettuce and cabbage in large bowl and toss.
Add oranges and water chestnuts, and then top with chicken.
Sprinkle scallions and Fiber One over salad.
Entire recipe makes 1 serving at 4 pts.
I like to serve it with that Asian Silk spray dressing. Delicious! I had to use pineapple in my salad because I thought I had some oranges but I was wrong!

7 comments:

  1. Your chicen salad looks great and I hear you on not being able to exercise without interuption. I have a four year old and 10 month old. I wait until the 10 month old is down for a nap and I feel like I am yelling at my four year old the entire time I do Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred. It makes me so angry because I can barely talk let alone yell while I am doing it. you wouldn't think that 20 minutes is to long to ask for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a HUGE vitatop fan either, but for 1 point I like them once in awhile.

    The CranBran are my favorite, the chocolate (any) ones are OK, but best for dessert warmed up with a scoop of light vanilla ice cream! LOL...

    For the corn ones, I actually enjoy them, but they definately need something else. What I do is heat it up (20-30 sec) in the microwave, the slice it across and spread a tablespoon of light whipped butter (I like the Brummel & Brown yogurt spread) and then a little salt sprinkled on top. It becomes 2 points with the light butter, but it tastes a lot better than by itself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer on the vitatops. I can't seem to find them anywhere around where I live. the chocolate ones look so good.

    i'm so jealous you guys are mowing the lawn...i'm ready for summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darci, go to vitalicious.com and enter your zip code. it shoudl tell you what stores have them. I have even found some in the healthy frozen foods at Kroger.

    We're not only mowing lawns but wearing shorts. I'm supposed to go swimming on Thursday. Woohoo! Come to Texas for a visit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been impressed with vitatops either. Blech. I make my own corn mini-muffins, subbing in applesauce instead of butter and they turn out pretty well, and 1 pt each (they're pretty small, bite sized, but hey!)

    I hear you on the workout thing. My daughter is the same... unless she decides to work out with me, which sometimes she does, especially if I'm doing yoga. There's something discouraging about the fact that my 5 year old does a better tree pose than I do.

    On the plus side, I get down to the gym a few times a week for some ALONE TIME. Just had my first session with a personal trainer who is helping me make the most of my gym time.

    Good luck! I might try that salad sometime, but with the oranges because I'm allergic to pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Go here: http://darcithelbloser.blogspot.com/2008/12/day-31-wednesday-123.html

    to see what a cross ramp is! I don't know what to call it 'cause i think it is different than the elliptical.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I have adult children that run and hide when I work out. ;-) My favorite 100 cal snack pack is the Fudge Shoppe Grasshopper cookies. Taste just like GS Thin Mints without the disgusting slime left in your mouth afterwards! lol You are awesome!
    Path to Health

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)