Sunday, March 29, 2009

Road Trip to Brenham; Monster Hamburger; Beaver Nuggets

We had such an amazing time in Brenham yesterday that we decided to go back for another road trip today.

Chuck made breakfast again: egg white bagel with bacon and cheese (5 pts) and a Sugar Free Rock Star.
We drove through Chappell Hill and came across the Chappell Hill Lavender Farm. It was so beautiful! They had a field of lavender, a gazebo, pond and gift shop. I got a bar of lavender soap and a lavender candle. Also got some blueberry lavender jam for my MIL. Hey, yesterday she noticed my weight loss....she gets a gift! ;-)
.
The lavender farm was near Washington-on-the Brazos State Park and the Barrington Living History Farm so we stopped there to see what was going on. It was so cool! They had people dressed in period costume doing old farm stuff and demonstrating old farm stuff. They had chickens! I LOVE chickens. Look at this cute rooster looking at me.
And now for the coolest thing of the day: we got to take a ride in a cart pulled by oxen! I was so excited. It doesn't take much.
What would a trip to Brenham be without a picture in the bluebonnets? The wildflowers are amazing this year. Everywhere you go there are flowers and lines of cars pulled over trying to get pictures.
.
Trivia: bluebonnets are the state flower of Texas. Pecan tree is our state tree and chili is our state dish and mockingbird is our state bird and "Texas, Our Texas" is our state song and the horned toad is our state reptile. Do you know what the state gem is? This is a test. LOL
This old barn was in a field by the road. So rustic.
Something about cattle in bluebonnets.
My bagel really kept me feeling full. We didn't go out for lunch/dinner until 3:30. I wanted to try some local fare so we went to the historic downtown area and found a placed called BT Longhorn Saloon and Steakhouse.
.
We had to wait a long, long time for the food but when it arrived....aaaahhhhhh. It was so good! Forget the points. I went in with the idea that I would eat half of the 1/2 pound burger and drink a beer. But this was one of the best burgers I've had.
.
It was called the BT Ultimate and had 1/2 pound of meat, cheddar, fried jalapeno slices and barbecue sauce on a homemade bun with jalapeno slices served with black pepper fries (pointless). I also had two St Arnold beers.
.
St. Arnold is a microbrewery in Houston that gives tours on Saturdays with free beer at the end! It's so good. If you live near the Houston area I highly recommend it.
Yeah, I know I ate poorly but I love trying new places when we do road trips. I don't plan on giving that up. I eat good the rest of the time and exercise so that I can enjoy myself when we go out.
.
On the way home we spotted a new Bucees on Hwy 290! We needed gas so we stopped. Bucees is a gas station/deli/everything franchise that started in Lake Jackson and really tries to be everything to everybody: clean restrooms, fresh fudge, sandwiches, gasoline, tee shirts and Beaver Nuggets!
.
Beaver nuggets are like super sugar coated puffed cereal. We only get them when we stop on road trips and then it takes a couple of months for us to eat them or finally throw them away. They are so sweet that you can only eat a few. I think I had 5 tonight. Not too bad.

That was all I ate today. The bagel really filled me up. Lunch was both lunch and dinner. I think I'll just count it as using all my remaining daily and weekly points just to be safe. And I'll exercise a lot to earn some activity points.
.
So now it's back to being a good girl. :)
.
You know what's weird? On all previous diets I would have hated myself for eating a burger,etc off plan. I would have given up and gained even more weight. But with Weight Watchers I finally realize that this is a lifestyle, not a temporary diet. I will eat out sometimes and enjoy myself without any guilt whatsoever. But the next day I need to be eating healthy stuff and exercising. I can live with that! A diet that tells me that I can never have bread or a fatty burger? I can't do that.
.
I'm finding balance in my life and it feels so good.
.
By the way, I only have 9.2 pounds to lose before I reach my 10% goal and get the coveted WW key chain!

6 comments:

  1. Oh yes to finding balance, you had a wonderful day! So much fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about eating what you want some of the time when you eat so healthfully all of the time.

    That burger looks so darn delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks/sounds like you guys had a great day!!

    and i totally agree with your realization! that is what i love about ww!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree totally with having what you want sometimes...
    Beautiful pics...except the burger one..I damn near hit my head on my computer screen..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be lunch time, my mouth totally started to water when I saw that burger. I think the other commenters are right, you had balance this weekend, there is no way to make it to the end of this never ending journey without a little balance :)

    Go girl, eat your burger once in a while!

    The flowers were so beautiful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your weight loss. I love this pictures in this post. As a New Englander I love pictures of Spring.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)