Thursday, April 16, 2009

Donuts: Before and During Pics; Baked Chicken and Ziti (7 pts)

Today starts my 11th week with Weight Watchers. Yeah!

Breakfast: oatmeal, yogurt and baby banana (4 pts)
I've been working on my essay that's due today. Drinking coconut chai tea (o pts) is so relaxing. I can't wait to try the other flavors.
.
Lunch: bagel pizza with turkey pepperoni and a salad (6 pts)
Off to the salon to get my hairs trimmed. The bangs were getting out of hand. :)
.
Almost as soon as I get home the doorbell rings. My Holey Donuts are here!!! Each one of these beautiful works of art are only 3, soft, delicious points.
These are like the vitamuffins in that they have to be frozen and heated individually.
.
Still working on that darn essay. College is more work than I remembered. I am just taking classes "for fun." This isn't fun any more. ;-)
.
Dinner is Baked Chicken and Ziti. A serving is 1/4th of a 9x13 pan! Huge portion!
Dinner: baked Chicken and Ziti (7 pts), garlic bread (1 pt) and salad (o pts)
Baked Chicken and Ziti (7 pts)
from Weight Watchers Simply the Best Cookbook
.
1/2 pound skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4" strips
1 onion, chopped (I used onion powder)
2 garlic cloves; minced
one 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups ziti or penne
2/3 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
1/3 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
.
Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray; heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned, 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
.
Spray the same skillet with more nonstick cooking spray. Add the onion and garlic; Cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring as needed, until the mixture is thickened slightly, 8-10 minutes.
.
Meanwhile, cook the ziti according to package directions. Drain and mix with the ricotta cheese.
Pour half of the tomato mixture into a 9x13" pan, layer with the ziti mixture, the chicken and the remaining tomato mixture. Sprinkle with the cheeses. Bake until hot and bubbling and the cheese is melted, 15-20 minutes.
.
Note: you may want to season the ricotta some and the tomato sauce a little more. It was certainly a terrific meal but I felt the ricotta needed a little salt. Other than that it was great! Every one loved it.
.
4 servings
per serving calories 381; total fat 5g; total carbs 52 g; dietary fiber 3g
7 points per serving
.

Dessert: strawberry Holey Donut (3 pts)
Oh my dear lord. They are soft and warm and sweet and taste nothing like low fat. If you have wondered if these are worth the price, wonder no longer. They definitely are. I'll be ordering them again. I'm having trouble keeping the kids out of them. haha
.
Oh, speaking of kids....Rachel has lost 17 pounds just by eating the food I cook. She's not counting point or anything. She's only 13. But I am so happy for her. You can really see a difference in her self confidence. I just wish I could have done this for all of us sooner. Oh well, we're doing it now and that's what matters. :)

It's that time. Last month I was not thrilled with the "Before and During" pics. This month is a little better.
.
First, let me take you to the me from last summer. She is fat and unhappy. Not really unhappy but certainly lacking in self esteem and not healthy at all.

Now, fast forward to March 15th 2009: one month after starting Weight Watchers. Better. Better.
And now the me of today..10 weeks of Weight Watchers and 20.8 pounds lighter. Much better. Still a long way to go though.
Thanks for all of your support, blogger friends. You are like my own little support team. I really appreciate each one of you. :)

Points: 21/24
Activity: None. I was supposed to run but I'm just too tired.

24 comments:

  1. Wow, you look great!!!!!!
    You're doing awesome!
    And whooooaa, those donuts look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow girl!! WTG!!! YAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! You look amazing! :)

    Your food looks great, too. Gotta try one of those donuts. I live in the donut capital of North America (a Tim Horton's on every block), so a low fat one that looks that good would sell very well here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa - these pictures rock! You look fantastic and congrats on what you've accomplished

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at you!!! You look sooo good! Congratulations. Your progress is inspiring!

    Those donuts would be a dangerous thing for me to have around the house but....Oh My...they do look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look terrific! WOW!!!! Congrats!

    That ziti looks fantastic, I'll definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - you look fantastic! Your face shows just how happy you are with yourself...good going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so awesome. You look great. I love progress pics, I think they tell the real story, much more than scale numbers. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pictures say it all...you're doing so good. I find it harder to diet when I've got to cook for my family...but you're doing it so successfully. Love your ideas for meals and recipes...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You go girl! You look awesome! And it's great that your family is benefiting from your healthiness too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok, who do we order the donuts from? Have you heard of the Alternative Bagel? Alternative Bagels come in original, blueberry, onion, wheat, cinnamon,and sweet wheat.

    If you are a HUGE peanut butter fan there is a product call PB2. It is 2pts for 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter. The local grocers carry both products; however,the bagels and peanut butter can be ordered on line.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly!! you are look AWESOME!!! What a difference!!! And how awesome the benefits your family is seeing from the change as well!! Very exciting!!!

    Oh and I copied that recipe...I think that is one that DH will LOVE!!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly- I am new to your blog and I just love it. I am a lifetime member of weight watchers and have always loved it. I now find myself needing to lose a few lbs so I am back on it. I really love you recipes. I have tried many and have liked all that I have tried.Your picture you just posted looks AMAZING!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!! Can you tell me hopw you made the 1 point garlic bread.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go Kelly Go!!!! Look at your skinny little middle. And your daughter deserves a HUGE round of applause. My son is about to turn 11, and is already struggling with weight / self esteem issues. What we do for our kids now will help them on down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you SO much guys. Really.

    Dana, I make the garlic bread like this:
    take a whole wheat sugar free hot dog bun, open it and spray it with just a few sprays of I Can't Believe You Call This Butter spray. Sprinkle with a little garlic powder, garlic salt and dried parsley. Heat under broiler until lightly browned. That's it!
    Just be sure to keep your butter sprays under 1 point.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! You look amazing!!! Congrats!

    And congrats to your daughter too. Eating right does work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY WORD!
    1st of all YOU LOOK AWESOME. seriously.....
    and those doughnuts gave me a slight twitch. I am going to need to order them

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look great! And so do those doughnuts. I totally need to make some space in my freezer for some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looking great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holey Donuts is right!!!! They look AMAZING! I may be afraid to order them...very afraid... ;0

    And those pics!! You are getting younger and younger in each one!! So happy for you! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lady you look absolutely fantastic. You can completely see how much happier you look and feel, not to mention the fact that you look 10 years younger :) I love that you have your body bugg on hehe. I was looking at pictures from Disney and I totally have mine on in every picture!

    WOOO HOO to your daughter losing weight too! If I could only go back to High School and have really gotten weight off at that point in my life and really learned how to keep it off, I'd probably be a completely different person (and not to mention I wouldnt have gotten to a point where I had 142 lbs to lose!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You look just gorgeous, and I love your blog. I'm glad to hear you like your Holey Donuts. I've been thinking of ordering some myself. I also really want to try the ziti recipe! What did you use for 1 pt. garlic bread?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wowza! Someone's a hot momma!

    Congrats to you, and congrats to your daughter! Tell her we're all cheering for her too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)