Monday, April 27, 2009

Morningstar Italian Sausage Review

I've always loved the flavor of sausage but hated the chunks of fat and gristle in it. I also wasn't too fond of the casings they came in. Yuck. So I was excited to find these vegetarian Italian sausages at my local HEB store. I haven't seen them at Kroger yet. But Kroger still doesn't have the Morningstar Riblets yet either. Get with it, Kroger!

Nutrition info from the box is below. If you're a Weight Watcher, the points are 3 per sausage.
I decided to grill up some peppers and sweet onion with a spray of olive oil and serve it sort of like is pictured on the box. The sausages take about 4.5 minutes if you use the griddle or about 1.5 minutes in the microwave. I prefer the griddle since it gets browned and picks up some of the onion and pepper flavor. I chose to wrap mine in half of a whole wheat naan bread (Indian bread) that I heated over a gas burner. For Weight Watchers, half of the naan was 3 pts and the peppers are 1.



The flavor is intense and delicious. It has a strong caraway taste that is complemented by the peppers and onions. I bet this sausage would be awesome made into a calzone! Just use some pizza dough, pizza sauce and low fat mozzarella. I'll try that next.


My impression: worth buying and keeping on hand for fast fixes. It seems that most Morningstar products are 3 WW points. My husband was VERY impressed and went back to make another. He loves it!


I give it 5 out of 5 stars for flavor, texture and points/calorie value. Do go out and get some.


If you would like to know some more about this product or would like some recipes, go to the Morningstar web site.

6 comments:

  1. We must be in food sync or something, I'm having turkey kielbasa w/ peppers & onions for dinner!

    This looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finding that I really like the Morningstar farms, and Boca, meat alternatives too! I'm definitely going to give this a try the next time I go to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, I love Morningstar products but I haven't tried any of the sausage products for fear that they will fall short. Because I looooove sausage.

    I'll have to add this to my list though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew these were out but totally forgot to look for them this weekend when I was getting stuff to make lasagna. We ended up with just straight up spinach lasagna with no meat. It was still good though and a HUGE portion for 7 points.

    I'll have to try these next time though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, I absolutely love Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage because it tastes so close to the real thing. Seasonings are spot on. And no icky gristle.

    Now that I've read your great review I can't wait to try their Italian flavor! Of course, I'll have to wait until my liquid diet is finished first. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all of the MS products. Use them all the time. And you're right about Kroger being SLOOOOOW to get in any of the new stuff. They're delayed by at least one month compared to other stores. Losers. lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)