Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sad Day for Happy Texans

Last night I posted about our little trip to Dallas and then took a Unisom. I was so tired I was afraid I would have trouble sleeping. Ever been like that?

Our old Collie, Laddie, kept crying. We have to keep him outside because he's old and when he has to go to the bathroom he just goes. I brought him in to sleep in the garage but he kept crying. I don't want to go into the details but we knew that the time had come to put him to sleep. We weren't even sure if he would make it through the night.

This is Rachel's first dog. We adopted him a couple of years ago from a rescue organization. He was old when we got him but the past few months he has gone down hill rapidly and it has been difficult for everyone to watch but especially for Rachel.

Rachel was already in bed so I woke her up and broke the bad news to her. I asked her if she wanted to go with Chuck to the vet and she did. So the two of them and Laddie went for one last ride together. It was heartbreaking to see Rachel grieve over her dog. She was so distraught, understandably. And unfortunately there is nothing you can say to take the pain away. It just takes time.

After she and Chuck got home Rachel was crying and wanted to stay up for a while. So we watched TV and I gave her something to ease her headache. Poor kid.

Here is a pic of Rachel and Laddie doing schoolwork together in happier times. To be honest with you, I need to tell you that I had 2 Reese's cups and 2 chocolate covered marshmallow eggs in my distress. Note to self, food doesn't make the pain go away at all. Just leaves lumpy thighs.

After the ordeal and a fat check to an ER vet, I went into my Unisom-induced coma.

This morning I was exhausted.

Breakfast: Carb Check bagel with FF cream cheese (3 pts) and coconut chai tea (0 pts) I love that tea.

I just couldn't wake up even though I was supposed to run today. Instead I took a 1.5 hour nap. Plus it's been just plain gloomy around here with intermittent periods of tears.

Lunch: buffalo chicken wrap (recipe from the new Hungry Girl cookbook) (4 pts); 1/2 mango (1 pt) and 1 of Rachel's fries (0 pts)Snack: my favorite Smart Food honey popcorn clusters (1 pt)

Snack 2: Honey Greek Yogurt with a tbs of Grape Nuts (3 pts)

Snack 3 while studying: Kettle corn (1 pt)

Chuck took the kids to the in laws to watch some old home movies while I stayed home and studied. I got hungry so I fixed a quick dinner: Morningstar Riblets on hot dog bun with pickles (5 pts); FF Pringles BBQ chips (1 pt) and strawberries (1 pt) Dessert: the most excellent Holey Donut vanilla frosted donut (3 delicious pts)
Sorry the post isn't more upbeat. It's been a long, sad day. I think I will go to bed early and sleep it away. Maybe I'll have some herbal tea first. :)

HEY! Rachel just laughed watching the Simpsons. That's a good sign. :)

Points: 23/24

Activity: none

22 comments:

  1. my heart broke when i read this on twitter last night and this morning..my thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am SO sorry! When you lose a pet like that, it's like losing a member of your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet post, Love.
    Ya know, it's not so much the loss of an old friend (which is hard), but the stress caused by watching our child experience this level of grief. I am glad you are here to go through this with me. Couldn't do it without you.
    All my love....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kelly. I'm so sorry. Poor Rachel! TV therapy is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry for your loss. It is never easy. Never.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so very sorry for the loss of your pet. It really is like losing a family member. I hope you're finding comfort in the knowledge that you did the right thing for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He was such a pretty dog! love the picture of them reading together. :) Sorry about your family's loss.

    Your food looks good. I hear you on the chocolate snacking. Still haven't completely reigned mine in. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm crying with you. I love my doggies, and we recently lost our great old German Shepherd...

    I always get choked up when I read things. I'm so happy that you gave the beautiful boy a good home for his final years.

    Sniff, sniff. HUGS

    My son says to tell your daughter how sorry he is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs for you and your family. Losing a family pet is always a difficult thing. Some people just don't realize how much they are part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Losing a pet is really sad, but I think it is exponentially harder when you have to watch a child lose a pet. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry about your pup. I've lost my share of pets, some recently and it is always hard. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww, poor Laddie, and poor you guys. He was a cutie. Sorry, that is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly-

    What a gorgeous dog. I am so sorry for your families loss. It's amazing how pets become part of the family, they are non-judgemental and love unconditionally. He was so lucky to have such a great family rescue him. I also have a rescue dog, and they really are extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, Kelly soooo sorry:( Hugs to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's rough to see your kids go through it and know that there's nothing you can do to change what has happened. My thoughts are with your family today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh gosh I'm so sorry. I was very teary reading your post.
    We've had to put two of our pups down over the last number of years so I know exactly what you and your family are feeling.
    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry for your loss, it's so hard to lose a family pet. You handled it very well with Rachel and she will be fine after some time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful dog! So sorry for the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry for your loss. Laddie was lucky to have found a forver home with y'all, even if it wasn't for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am not a donut person, but that picture is making me want a donut! Might have to try those at some point...

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)