Thursday, April 23, 2009

Walk It Challenge Media and Diet v Exercise

Have you registered for the Walk-It Challenge? Weight Watchers rarely teams up with an outside company but has joined forces with active.com to motivate YOU to get up, get out there, and get moving.

Teams are filling up faster than I think even Weight Watchers could have predicted. But don't let that stop you. Virtual teams are forming. Just sign up at http://www.teamweightwatchers.com/ and get all kinds of great goodies for starting the challenge and completing a 5k. You don't have to run. You can walk the 3.1 mile race and still be a winner. Just do it.

The Walk-It Challenge was mentioned on Good Morning America. Check out the video here.

Is it better to diet alone to lose weight or exercise? According to an article on Yahoo :
"Weight loss is possible by watching what you eat exclusively, but the research says that any successful long-term weight loss program includes a strong exercise component. In fact people who diet often regain all the weight they've lost and then some. Not to mention that constantly restricting food can be irritating, leaving us feeling grumpy, tired and hungry all of the time."

Not what you wanted to hear? I'm just the messenger.

So if you can lose weight with diet alone, why is it important to exercise too? Can't I just cut calories, get to goal weight, and call it a day? Here's why.


  • Exercise changes your metabolism. You burn more calories and who doesn't want that?!
  • Cardio burns calories. You need a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day to lose one pound of fat per week. You could just restrict your calories but that's also going to slow your metabolism. You'll be tired and cranky then and nobody wants that.
  • Activity makes you more active. Well, duh, Kelly. No, seriously. Studies show that folks who exercise are generally more active throughout the day. It's like a body in motion tends to stay in motion...until it reaches the sofa or a cookie. Whichever comes first.
  • Exercise builds muscles. When you're moving you're building muscles. Your body needs to nourish those muscles so it uses stored energy in the form of fat. As your energy requirements go up (more muscles) you burn more calories during exercise and all day long. More muscles=more calorie burn=lose weight Plus you don't want to look all jiggly in that new swimsuit you plan on getting for this summer.

I was listening to Jillian Michael's radio show last night and she was recommending for some serious quick weight loss to exercise 5 hours per week. Want to really boost it? Add in a 30 minute cardio in the evening after your 1 hour morning workout. That woman scares the bejeezus out of me.

Watching your intake is good. But it looks like we also have to move our booties too. Walk, crawl, run, hike, spin, kayak, skate, jump rope, Shred...whatever it takes. Just move. :) We want that weight to come off and stay off.

4 comments:

  1. I joined last week. or was it the week before last. I don't remember. My point is, I've really enjoyed the daily email reminders telling me to get off my butt and go for a walk. I need a push in the right direction each day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last two paragraphs...

    That's why I've started exercising every day, plus to strengthen my heart.

    Today I did my morning workout and forgot we had obedience class. Tonight I walked my dog for an hour in a super hot classroom, and I was sweating bullets. I was so tired, I could barely drive the hour home. Now I'm too numb to sleep.

    Jillian is insane! lol Why would anyone intentionally do two workouts in one day? lol I wonder if I'll be able to function tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I joined last week! One of my best girlfriends lives about 4 hours away from me, so we are going to meet in the middle to do the actual walk in Richmond! We both already walk a lot, so not doing the actual training program. Next year we are thinking of running!

    I could have sworn that I heard Jillian say you had to do 5 hours of excercise everyday and then to boost up do another session (30-45) at night, I listened to it three times. I just figured it was her crazy ass thinking none of us had things to do! 5 hours a week sounds much more reasonable lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. She probably did say 5 hours per day. I listened to it a few times too. Maybe my brain could not comprehend that much and went for 5 hours per week. LOL Either way I am sure we can agree that she's scary.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)