Monday, May 4, 2009

Foodie News; Spinach Lasagna (5 pts)

Monday already? The weekends go by way too fast.



While at the grocery store I found these 100 calorie packs of Craisins (2 pts per bag). Yum!

Breakfast: oatmeal mixed with pack of Craisins and a WW yogurt (5 pts) Hm, I wonder if i can count the Craisins as a serving of fruit. Today I mostly worked with laundry and doing a little maintenance in the kitchen. In other words, I was lazy. It was also my day off from exercise. Gotta let those muscles rest, you know!

I had some leftover burrito stuff in the fridge that I didn't want to go bad so I made a burrito the size of a newborn baby. Not enough green on the plate so I added a spinach leaf. Does that count as a veggie serving? No?
Lunch: bean, little bit of chicken, rice, cheese burrito with Taco Bell hot sauce (6 pts) The tortilla is HUGE and only 1 point by La Tortilla Factory.
My experience with a green tea shot was not pleasant. but I had bought this other can and I wasn't going to let it just sit in the pantry for the rest of its horrible existence. maybe this experience would be different!
.
Nope! It tasted awful! Look at the can. Do you see where it says "The Taste of Balance"? Well, let me tell you: balance tastes like sh!t!! God, how do people drink this stuff? I want to be healthy but if I have to drink this to live longer then just shoot me now. Oh, and 0 pts.

Time for some flava!
.
Snack: Smart Food Cranberry Almond crack (2 pts)
Life Lesson: when tilting the bag back to your mouth to get the last little bit out of the bag, be sure to close your eyes or the little bits of "dust" might blind you so that you feel like you have broken glass in your eyes. Yes, true story.
Mounds and mounds of laundry. Started watching exercise videos while folding clothes. How sick is that? Did I think I would earn activity points by just watching?

My friend at A Losing Battle had a recipe for 7 pt lasagna that I wanted to try. So, why not tonight?!
.
We all know that the points for a dish can vary depending on what products you use. I kept careful track of all of the ingredients as I used them and my dish came out to 5 pts per serving. I'll let you know what I used but be sure to check your numbers if you buy different ingredients to make it.
.
Spinach Lasagna (5 pts per serving)
.
1 24 oz. jar Classico Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic Pasta Sauce (5 pts total)
2 tsp minced garlic
pinch nutmeg
1.5 bags of fresh spinach leaves (0)
1/2 cup fat free egg substitute (like Egg Beaters) (1 pt)
15 oz. fat free ricotta cheese (6 pts)
garlic salt, little onion powder, Italian seasonings (0)
6 pieces no boil lasagna noodles (I used Barilla brand) (7 pts)
3 cups Weight Watchers Mozzarella cheese (16 pts)
2 Tbs. reduced fat Parmesan cheese (1 pt)
.
Spray a pan with cooking spray and turn on medium heat. Put garlic and nutmeg in pan and when it starts to sizzle add spinach leaves. Stir until the spinach leaves are wilted and then remove from heat.
.
In a bowl combine egg, ricotta, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasonings, 1.5 cups Mozzarella, and spinach leaves.
.
Spray a 2 quart pan (mine was an 8x8 pan I think...just use what you want) with cooking spray. Pour about 1/2 jar of sauce on bottom. Top with 3 noodles then top with half of cheese/spinach mixture. Pour next 1/3 jar sauce on top. Repeat with remaining noodles, cheese and sauce. Top with remaining mozzarella and the Parmesan.
.
Cover with foil and place on a cookie sheet (just in case it overflows) and bake at 375 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer. Let set for about 5 minutes after yo remove from the oven.
.
I lost track of my layering while talking on the phone and kind of messed it up but it still turned out just fine. Also, my pan was kind of small and would only fit 2 noodles at a time so I ended up with 3 layers of noodles. It all worked out. This would totally rock with one of those Morningstar Italian sausages in it. :)
.
I cut mine into 4 pieces for 9 points per serving. BUT for my piece I cut it in half again which turned out to be about 5 points. (actually 4.5)
4 servings=9 points per serving
8 servings= 5 points per serving
.
OK, the whole pan of lasagna is 36 points with the ingredients I used. So just divide by how many servings you want to get the points. :)
Here is the finished product before cutting:
Here is my serving of lasagna with garlic bread and salad (6 pts)
Here is Chuck's man sized 9 point serving! Wow that's a lot of food. And like a good boy he cleaned his plate. :)

I know I've mentioned this before but did you know that a small flat bottom cone is 0 points?
Dessert: sugar free low fat Blue Bell butter pecan ice cream scoop in a cone (2 pts)

And a post dessert dessert: piece of lavender chocolate from Yoda's planet (1 pt)
Foodie News!!!
TCBY will be giving out FREE FroYo on Mother's Day. Be sure to go by their web site and check out nutritional info before stopping for a treat.
.
You have the chance of winning two dozen free donuts from Holey Donuts. Yes! Just go to the web site and enter your email in the bottom right corner to be entered. You have until May 7th. I need more donuts!
.
I'll be drawing the winner of the "Sweet Success" giveaway on Friday, May 8th at 10am. Looking forward to announcing a winner! It's not too late to enter. :)
**And my friend Marisa at Trim the Fat is having a great giveaway. This prize set benefits not only you but your dog! how great is that?! Check it out because the drawing is this Friday, May 8th. **
.
Points: 22/24
Activity: none unless folding clothes counts

23 comments:

  1. You can count the Craisins as a serving, but I'm not sure of the serving size that counts. I want to say it's 1/3 cup. I know it says on the bag how much they consider to equal one serving of fruit.

    As for the green tea, I drink just plain ole tea bag green tea every morning. I swear it helps with the weight loss. When I don't drink it regularly, I don't lose as much weight each week. I get either the Lipton brand (the Mixed Berry flavor is the best) or the Bigelow brand (I like the mango and the peach kinds). I just use a packet or two of Splenda.

    I just saw that sugar free Bluebell yesterday. Is it worth it? I love ice cream, especially in a cone! If I'm gonna eat ice cream, I don't mind using a couple of extra points as long it tastes GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me laughing out loud literally about the tea! I really needed a good laugh tonight.

    I can't even drink regular green tea. Maybe I'll have to look for Kristan's Mixed Berry.

    The lasagna looks fantastic. If I cook it for my family, the spinach will have to be finely chopped. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just discovered your blog through "Just Sweet Enough" and I love it. The Lasagne looks so good. As for green tea I drink it with lemon or orange, all you can really taste is the fruit.
    Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously laughed out loud at the watching exercise while doing laundry. That is something I would totally do!

    Lasagna looks tasty. Not sure I like spinach though but hey a good reason to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like I need to try the green tea with some sweetener. Canned shots are not the way to go, I tell you.

    Kristan Anne, the Blue Bell was really good. The texture was lighter in a sorbet sort of way but the flavor was right on. I would buy it again. And I want to try some of that berry green tea. Anything to help with weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this post made me laugh over and over! I'm with you on the smartfood, I always try to get every crumb out of the package! Seriously, if I'm using 2 points on it, I want the ENTIRE 2 points!

    The La Tortilla wraps are so flipping awesome. I dont know how they get that much wrap into 1 point, but I'm not going to argue with them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that popcorn stuff looks delicious! I am going to have to look for it at the store!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROLFLMAO!!!!! I love your newborn - sooo cute ;)

    Oddly, I have tilted said bag of crack in the same fashion. People have asked why my eyes are red. Allergies. That's my story and I'm stickin to it ;)

    Yummy looking lasagna, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That lasagna looks great! I'll try that sometime soon! I love spinach too so that will be a great addition! Thanks again.

    Oh and I see that you have allergies like Marisa from Trim the Fat,right? That's why your eyes are red??

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with ya on the green tea. I've been experimenting with beverages since trying to drop my diet soda addiction (23 days and counting...), but can't find anything that I enjoy more than just plain tap water.

    Had to scroll quickly past the lasagna pic... it was making me drool all over myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy moly! There's so much yummy stuff in this post. The lasagna looks awesome, the burrito looks tasty and filling, and I totally need to find some of that smart food. Yum, yum and YUM!!

    I love green tea, and I like mine fresh, hot and plain. I'm not sure I'd like it in a can...

    ReplyDelete
  12. totally cracking up over "closing your eyes when tipping the bag back"........because been there done that!!! LMAO

    And the tea & watching exercise videos...that was funny too!! Kelly your posts always make me smile...and hungry!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your wrap comment totally cracked me up!! :) good idea to put dijonaise!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The lasagna looks YUMMY. I may have to try that one...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I ordered a big honkin' CRATE full of Holey D's. They will arrive tomorrow. I will be waiting on the front porch with a knife in one hand, a fork in the other, and a bib tied around my neck. I can't wait!!!! And I'm CRACKING up about the bag tilt warning. They should put a disclaimer on the bag for us WW folks who eat ever fleck in the bag. lmao

    ReplyDelete
  16. Heather, I can't wait to hear about your first experience with a Holey Donut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don't you just love craisins?? I eat them almost daily. It is 1/3 cup for a serving by the way. Man, that burrito looks great, and the spinach lasagna, I'm all over that! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok, I signed up to win some doughnuts with all of my working e-mail addresses. :) I still haven't been able to justify ordering some of those, plus my freezer is kinda packed right now.

    I was looking at your list of ingredients and was trying to figure out how you got 5 points out of that lasagna but I see that my portion was bigger. Oh and my store didn't have fat free ricotta so I used low fat. Still can't beat it.

    I've started putting my WW ice cream in one of those cones with the tiniest bit of fat free whipped cream. Makes it seem extra special and makes me eat it slower which is always good.

    Thanks for the link, when I logged in today I was like, whoa I have actual visitors. :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dinner looks SOOO good. I will definitely have to try it once I get over whatever I have.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for all of the encouragement. I plan on measuring myself yet this week but probably wouldn't have thought about it had you not said something. Thanks.

    Day 2 down and doing good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sweet! I'm totally going to try the SF Bluebell.

    I made a veggie lasagna a while back that was really, really good. The husband didn't even care that it was vegetarian.

    http://delicious-disaster.blogspot.com/2009/04/garden-style-lasagna.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. IM GLAD you liked the shred! i cant wait!

    and omg i JUST ATE one of those smartfood popcorns and have dust all over me haha!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)