Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The REAL Cinco de Mayo; Margaritas Galore; Frito Pie

**Warning: This blog post was made after 2 margaritas.

Happy Cinco de Mayo. I've been reading much today about the history of this holiday. Now I'd like to share the REAL history.

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico. But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York. The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observe to this day.The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

OK. It's a joke. We don't actually celebrate the holiday in this house because we're still a little upset about the whole Alamo incident. OK, again I am joking. Smile. :)

Breakfast: Green Smoothie with spinach, sugar fee coconut syrup for flavor, stevia (sweetener), orange, banana, 1/2 pack Jay Robb vanilla protein powder, 1 cup water, 1 cup ice. (4 pts) I blended everything except the protein powder and then "pulsed" the powder in until blended. Helped keep the foam down. And I had 4 servings of fruits and veggies in by 9am. Love it!
Today I joined Team Mizfit in the Woman Challenge. You set your own goals, take quizzes and learn along the journey. Why don't you join the team? At least look in to it? Just click the "Woman Challenge" badge on the side bar of my blog. You can also find out a lot of info on Mizfit's blog.
.
If the hummus/cheese combo is a "crack wrap" (founder of crack wrap here..I got confirmation from an email from her) then this combo of 98% fat free ham, dijonaise and FF Swiss cheese is a heroine wrap. OMG!!! Darci made it and I went straight out to get the ingredients. I almost cried it was so good.
.
Lunch: "heroine wrap"; carrot chips with salsa (3 pts) Found these carrot chips in the produce section of Kroger and they are great 0 point chips. Loved them with the salsa.
I have been totally hating the green tea shots from the past couple of days. Today I picked up the lemongrass and mint green tea combo and it was wonderful. No more canned tea for me.
Snack: green tea and 100 calorie Snickers bar (2 pts) Hey, I've already gotten all my fruits and veggies servings in for the day!

I don't know if you remember or not but about a month ago Charlie split his head open on the trunk of my miniature van. Over the past few days a scab has developed that keeps getting bigger and bigger and finally it started oozing stuff. I'll spare you the details. I've been so worried about him. I took him to the doctor today and it's infected and the injury has opened back up. So I'm to keep it clean, apply Neosporin and give him antibiotics. He'll probably have a small bald spot there. Fortunately he has a head of thick hair that should cover it. That boy goes to the ER about once a year. He will be the cause of all of my gray hairs and the emptying of many bottles of vodka.

Afternoon snack: watermelon and WW string cheese (2 pts) Watermelon is my favorite fruit.

Dinner: Frito Pie and salad (5 pts) I served my Frito pie festival style. I remember my first Frito pie. I had gone to a small town church Halloween carnival with my dad. He bought me one and I was hooked. The only place to really get them now are festivals and Sonic.

Frito Pie= Fritos, chili and cheese. A Texas tradition.

I consider myself somewhat of a margarita expert. I love sipping fine tequilas on ice and can blend a pretty darn good 'rita. If you're ever in my neck of the woods I'll make one for you. Shaken or frozen, they're both great.

I found this zero calorie, zero point, sugar free margarita mix at Specs (a local liquor store). Add some ice and tequila and you have a 2 point rita! It was pretty good. Very strong and reminds me of some of the cheaper ritas you get at restaurants. I like to taste more tequila in my ritas but that's just me. This tastes almost exactly like the bottled rita mixers you get at the store but without all the sugar.

margarita (2 pts)

Our next margarita mix is unique. I love that it was designed to be taken to restaurants so you can have a 2 pt margarita when you go out. I also love that the web site promotes this as a way to lose weight. LOL Now that's my kind of diet!! I also love the fact that it's made right down the road from me in The Woodlands, TX.

This mix is not as strong as the Baja Bob's. It gives the rita a truer color. The only bad thing is that it does not mix as easily because it's a powder. But you can take it with you out to your favorite restaurant and order a tequila and water on ice (I'll skip the water, thank you) and mix in a packet for a 2 point rita. Not bad at all. I'm stashing some in my purse! Oh, and it's called Zilch as in there are zilch calories in each packet.

Dessert: Holey Donut (3 pts) I love these so much.

As usual, Biggest Loser was totally inspiring and Tara kicked butt. I love that girl. She is so beautiful and amazing. I can not believe that all of these people (including Ron, though barely) did a full marathon. I want to be a person who can do that.

Tonight was the last night to enter the results of the Pound for Pound Challenge for Biggest Loser. For every pound you lost they would donate a pound of food to a food bank. I signed up a little late so my challenge was only 1 month. I was able to donate 9 pounds of food because of the weight I lost. yeah!

Back to marathons: Dawn at Excuses Don't Burn Calories has been such an inspiration to me. Not only has she lost a lot of weight but has run her own marathon. Her videos made me cry because I want to be able to do that so much. And one day I will. I am determined. Hell, if Ron can walk one surely I can do a run/walk combo and finish one!

I'd like to give a shout out to Sarah who is also an inspiration and needs to get her own blog going. She could inspire so many people. Thanks for your sweet emails and I hope you are doing great on Weight Watchers.

Tonight did a 31 minute run/walk with Chuck. 5 minute warm up walk; 1 minute run, 2 minutes walk, repeat 7 times; 5 minute cool down walk. I really struggled tonight. Every run was difficult but I felt great afterwards. 2.1 miles total.

evening snack: popcorn (1 pt)

Points 24/24

Activity: 31 minute walk/run +2 points

Things I'm looking forward to:

  • zip line adventure
  • mother/daughter spa day Friday
  • moonlight paddle on Oyster Creek in Sugarland Friday night
  • Rachel and Charlie's 5k and 1k Saturday
  • Edible wild plants class
  • my 5k in June
  • my birthday trip to Dinosaur Valley State Park to walk in dinosaur footprints

13 comments:

  1. OMG....you're "drunk posting". It's kind of like drunk dialing, only via blog posts. LMAO!!!!!!

    And PS, he oozing wound blurb sounds like something I would need to write about. I've lost count of how many ER trips we've made over the years for Kent. I'm the hospital is "watching" me. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sinko De Mayo=Hilarious.

    I'm going to have to order some of the powdered margarita mix! I'm a sucker for a margarita on the rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute joke! :)

    I haven't seen the 100-calorie packs of Fritos before, those must be new! Like I need more excuses to eat chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just an FYI: the Frito portion in those bags is miniscule. Very very tiny. But I love my Fritos from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post!!!
    I am going to sign up for the Chevron 1/2 marathon in January. Its something I always wanted to do..you should join me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ro I'd LOVE to join you but I can't even run a mile yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been reading your blog from time to time, and I have to say that I really enjoy it. I have started on the weight loss trek yet once again, and I love your blog b/c you are real. You still eat chips and donuts. I dont mind eating "healthy" but I also want my "junk" food too. Anyway, thanks again for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep eyeing that smoothie...I need to get brave and try it.

    lol about the Cinco de Mayo story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Try the smoothie. It's really tasty and you get mega fruits/veggies servings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should have assigned a "designated blogger" if you were going to be getting your margarita on. No worries... entertaining stuff, as always.

    However, just the sight of corn chips brings up some unpleasant binging memories. Think I'll continue to steer clear...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wrap and watermelon looks so good. I want that wrap.

    Go check out my blog. I left something for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh My Gosh!!! I feel so special, I'm in your blog!!

    You are such a sweetheart, thank you and I'm still debating the blog thingie. I just know I'm full of blarney just not sure how interesting it would be. :o

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG...watermelon season will be here soon, and the farmer markets will have so many!

    I can't wait to tell someone about the history of Cinco de Mayo. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)