Monday, June 8, 2009

Baklava Salmon Recipe

Thanks for all of the kind comments about the before and during pics. It means a lot. I'm just so happy to see results. I had just about given up all hope of ever losing weight so to see a difference and feel so much better.....words can't describe the feeling. I'm just a new person. I just wish I could reach out to anyone out there who feels hopeless like I did and let them know that you really can lose weight and get your life back.

Breakfast: 8 grain hot cereal (didn't overflow today!! Stirring works) with chocolate protein powder, scoop of Greek yogurt and a few walnuts; bowl of sweet honeydew
Did school with the kids. Poor guys. They have to do school all year because we take off so much time throughout the year.

Cleaned out the pantry. Made some crockpot beans to go in salads and wraps. Cheap and tasty protein. :) Folded clothes. It was a productive day. I love days like that.

Did EA Sports Active but my heart really wasn't in to exercising today. I pushed through it but I had a headache today. I drank a lot of water so I don't know if it's diet soda withdrawals or hormone imbalance or what.

The EASA had me doing this thing called a squat hold that ripped my legs up. I could literally feel the burn. Here's how to do it (go ahead and try it..it's fun!): do a squat until your thighs are almost parallel to the ground and then hold it for 35 seconds. Now do it again. OUCH!


Lunch: baked tofu in Frank's hot sauce with hummus and reduced fat blue cheese & greens on low carb tortilla; bowl of honey dew
I think the farmers water the honeydew crop with corn syrup or something. These things are unnaturally sweet. I have 4 1-gallon-sized bags filled with it. :P
Needed some coffee so I made a pot. Didn't relieve headache. Thought I might be having some caffeine withdrawals.
Afternoon snack: smoothie made from frozen strawberries, 1 packet of Stevia, pina colada protein powder; fresh pineapple, banana
Dinner was awesome!! If you like salmon, do try this. And that's my first time to make hollandaise sauce that you see on the asparagus.
Dinner: Baklava Salmon; asparagus with hollandaise sauce; salad
Baklava Salmon from Recipezaar
SERVES 4
1/4 cup melted butter (I used about 2.3 Tbs of light butter)
3 tablespoons whole grain mustardDijon mustard (or your favorite)
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs (I used half breadcrumbs and half panko crumbs)
1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped
4 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
4 (4 ounce) salmon fillets
fresh ground pepper
kosher salt
1 quartered lime or lemon (optional)
Preheat oven to 400°; Line shallow roasting pan with non-stick aluminum foil, or spray with non-stick pan spray.
In small bowl, blend butter, mustard, and honey, set aside; in another bowl, mix together bread crumbs, nuts, and parsley.
Place salmon fillets on prepared pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and brush with honey-mustard mixture; sprinkle tops with crumb/nut mixture; if any remains, press into sides of salmon.
Bake salmon 12-15 minutes in preheated oven, or until it flakes easily with a fork, serve with lime or lemon wedge.
Calories 343
.
Hollandaise sauce from Cooking Light

Yield
About 2/3 cup (serving size: 1 tablespoon)
Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
Preparation
1. Place butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat; cook 5 minutes or until completely melted. Carefully skim solids off the top with a spoon; discard solids. Slowly pour remaining butter out of pan, leaving remaining solids in pan; discard solids.
2. Combine egg yolks and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk until foamy. Place pan over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens slightly. Gradually add 1/4 cup clarified butter, about 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring with a whisk until each addition is incorporated and mixture is thick. Reserve remaining clarified butter for another use.
3. Stir juice and salt into butter mixture, whisking until blended.
(I used light butter stick and clarifying did not work out but the sauce still turned out great)
1 Tbs: Calories 63; Fat 6.5g (sat 3.9g, mono 0.4g, poly 0.1g); Protein 0.5g; Carb 0.2g; Fiber 0g; Chol 57mg; Iron 0.1mg; Sodium 32mg; Calc 5mg

Dessert: chocolate birthday cake How did that cake get on my plate?! I guess I better eat it. I wouldn't want to hurt its feelings. I'm compassionate like that.
I'm trying to eat 3 times per day plus 1 afternoon snack.
Hope every one had an awesome day. :)

15 comments:

  1. Holy Crap!
    The salmon and asparagus was so freakin' good tonight.

    You really surprise me with the food you make. It can't be "diet" food.

    I luv ya.
    Thanks for taking care of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salmon looks amazing! And so does that asparagus. Wow, that is a total fancy restaurant quality dinner.

    Mmm that birthday cake looks incredible. That'd be dangerous around me :D

    Have a lovely night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love an awesomely sweet honeydew melon! Hope ours locally are just as good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how wonderful your husband is, he comments on your blog. Mine won't even read mine! Go, Chuck! You rock!

    You food, once again, makes me drool. I think I need to plan a road-trip to Texas to come visit. Would you cook for me? lol

    School year round? WOW I was s ready for a break. I wish we schooled year round, as we could take more breaks in the year, but my sweet son throws a hissy fit whenever I bring it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck, you deserve a round of applause. I think you just said what every wife/mother would love to hear from their husbands.

    Your food always looks so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So is today your birthday? If so, I sure hope it si agreat one Kelly!!

    Your food looks great...wow.

    About your headache, you might actually be going through a mild detox...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chuck is a sweety. :) He is totally my best friend and my biggest support.

    Patty, my b-day was May 28. The cake was leftover from Rachel's bday on Saturday. It just jumped on my plate and I had to eat it. haha You're probably right about the detox. I've gone through that before and it sucked for 3 days and then I felt terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dinner looks so freaking good, I'm going to need to throw it on my to try list (which has become ginormous!)

    The squat holds are INSANE. Whoever come up with them should be punished...harshly. I close my eyes during them and repeat "im going to be healthy" over and over and over again until I hear the chime to go up hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL I close my eyes throught he squat holds too! I hate them so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything looks so wonderful and healthy today! Heck, even the chocolate cake - chocolate =antioxidants, right:P

    You're doing a great job!

    What did you think of the baked tofu? I'm making some with bbq sauce today; I think that is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marisa, the tofu was pretty good! I would like it to have more of the texture that I get at Pei Wei. I'm still learning. They probably fry theirs or something. :P

    Hey, I like your rationalizing of the chocolate cake. I'll go with that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy crap you look AWESOME!!!!
    Like I didnt even know that was you. Way to go Kelly...really..such inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kelly!!! First of all WOW...what a major difference almost 50lbs makes!!! You have made some amazing progress!!! So proud of you!!! Looking good!! :)

    And Rachels bday weekend looks like so much fun....and oh my that cake!! Mmmmm!!! Yum-o!!!

    I haven't had much good honeydew this year so I gave up...maybe I will have to give it another try after hearing how good yours was!!

    Happy Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Darci, get a yellowish honeydew that smells like flowers for a sweet one. Or get a "regular" one and let ripen on kitchen counter until it yellows and smells great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm making this for dinner tonight. I think I'll try to shoot it, but I don't think it will be as pretty as your picture!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)