Monday, June 1, 2009

Birthday Weekend Dinosaur Valley State Park

I'm back! What a wonderfully relaxing weekend. This post is nothing about food. Let's just say I fell off the wagon and didn't even try to climb back on. :) I don't expect any sympathy for what the almighty scale will say when it reads my fortune this Wednesday. Sure was fun though. :P

Thursday May 28
After a very long drive we got to Dinosaur Valley State Park around 5pm and set up. Since we have a travel trailer it didn't take too long plus Chuck and I have gotten a sort of system down where we each know our jobs and just go to it.

Walked down to the Paluxy River for some beautiful views.
Saw some dinosaur footprints in the rocky river bed.
Dark clouds threatened but it never rained. Made for some gorgeous pictures though.
After Charlie slipped and fell in the water (slippery rocks!) we went back to the camp site for grilled fat free hot dogs, baked chips and a birthday cupcake. And maybe a margarita. Hey, it's my birthday! LOL
.
Friday May 29
.
Chuck cooked breakfast: eggs, bacon, tortilla wrap.
.
Played some sort of lacrosse game with Rachel for a while. Lots of fun. Mostly we had to chase the ball around.

Got family together for a hike. It's hard to tell what kind of hike you will get (difficulty?) and how long it will be from the park map. So we just filled up our water bottles and took off on the "blue" trail.
.
Some parts of the trail were rather difficult. You had to use your hands to grip rocks and/or slide carefully down certain areas. Other spots hugged the edge over the river very closely. And once we even got off the trail by accident and got lost. Charlie was sure that we were going to die. LOL
We took a side trail to a beautiful overlook.
Saw some cool lizards and skinks that we don't have around our area.
My bodybugg was practically giving me a standing ovation. I met all my goals just with this 2 hour hike. There were times when my heart rate got up there. I also had to cross a scary bridge (scary for me anyway) with wide slats that didn't seem to meet code standards.
.
Back for lunch and then quickly change to go swimming at the Old Blue Swimming hole. No pics because we were all swimming and having fun. Charlie discovered the joy of jumping off rocks and small cliffs much to his mother's horror. I just knew we were going to have to find a hospital.
.
Found a few shell fossils. Cool. Walked in some dinosaur tracks in the water. Uber cool!!
.
Back to the trailer for grilled burgers, chips and honeydew. It was the best honeydew I've had in a while. It was yellow on the outside and smelled like flowers. If a honeydew smells like flowers, you know you have a good one. After dinner I accidentally fell face first into some chocolate and the only way to survive was to eat my way out. Oh, and I might have also bathed in margaritas. Yeah, where did that wagon go that I fell off?
.
Great night by the campfire.

Saturday May 30
.
Chuck cooked breakfast again (actually he cooked all the meals). Then we got ready and headed to Fossil Rim Wildlife Park.
.
I love this place so much. There were many great pics of the animals but here are just a few.
Wild turkeys!!!


Giraffes were walking around but none were interested in coming over to the car. It was very hot.
Chuck rode in the back of the truck taking pics. He got up close and personal with a few animals.
I love birds. It was a big thrill for me to feed the emus. No ostriches came to the car so Chuck didn't get his usual thrill ride.
There was even a roadrunner running around.
Chuck got toasted and crispy in the bed of the truck.
.
Went back to the park for more swimming.
.
Time to head back to the trailer for grilled chicken with mozzarella and bacon, potatoes, corn and rolls. Maybe a rita too. :) Oh and some chocolate.
.
Sunday May 31
.
The day none of us were ready for: time to go home.
.
First, some pics in dino tracks near the front office.
Pic by entrance sign.
Kids being chased by T. Rex. Run, kids!!
The much gentler apatosaurus.
Headed home and had some more bad eating after unloading the trailer and putting it back in storage.
.
It was a really great birthday and I wish I was still there hiking and swimming and exploring. But it's time to get back to reality and back on the proverbial wagon.
.
Thank you so much for the birthday wishes. :)

16 comments:

  1. WOW, super great pics!! Sounds like you had a blast! I wanna go now!!! What kind of camera were the photos taken with, wow, such clarity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looked so fun! Beautiful pics. I am happy that you hd a GREAT BDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! It's a beutiful area.

    Connie, the camera is a Canon EOS 20D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like it was fun! Two things: 1) I LOVE the pic of the kids being chased by the T-Rex; and 2) That purple outfit, while cute, is too big...you have lost a lot of weight!

    Glad you had such a great time...can't wait for the penguins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...looks like such a fun weekend!! And Happy Birthday btw...looks like tons 'o fun!!

    oh and the pic of the being "chased" by the dino is too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back!!Great pictures...I wouldn't want that vacation to end either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you had an amazing and happy time on your birthday trip :) Sometimes, at least for me, I need a vacation where I'm not so focused on how many points this has, or how many calories I'll burn by doing that. Watch it, this will be the week you lose 5lbs hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow an amazing time and great pictures.Everyone looks so happy and well rested..

    hope you can do it again sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a great trip. Love the pics.

    Glad you had a fun bday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That place looks awesome! I need to google it and find out how far it is from here. I'm glad you enjoyed your b-day trip and hope you are able to jump back on the wagon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you had so much fun! The pictures are great! Those dinosaur tracks are so cool, and I love the animal pics :D

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great animal pictures. I'm so happy you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great bday weekend!

    Glad to have you back; we missed ya!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We went to Fossil Rim and Dino Park a few weeks ago. It looks like you found the hike we were looking for. I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible photos. Looks like an amazing b'day trip. Glad to have you back.
    Path to Health

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)