Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Eat Clean" Recipes: Thai Lime Chicken & Ice Cream Sandwiches

Hello blogger buddies. Guess what: I got on the scale today and it said I had lost 2.9 pounds of the 3.3 pound gain from the weekend. So it's really any body's guess what the lovely scale will say tomorrow. I don't know whether to offer a cupcake to the scale god or threaten its life. Maybe I'll go neutral and see what happens.

Breakfast: watermelon; Carb Check Bagel with eggbeaters & cheese
I really need to look for an alternative to the processed American cheese slices. I really like the taste and texture though. Any one out there with a suggestion?
.
Did my EA Sports Active today. OMG, I so hate the squat holds and the lunge jumps. Lucky me: I had to do both today. Twice. My legs were shaking. I have noticed a wee bit more muscle tone. It's worth it for that. Yes, you can get a decent workout with that game.
.
Afterwards I did Leslie Sanson's 4 Mile Super Challenge. I forgot I even had this and it was too hot to walk outside. Got a very nice sweat going with this one. It's also very easy on the joints unlike EA Sports Active and the Shred. It seems like I remember some of Leslie's videos also using a rubber band for some light strength training. This one does not. :(

Getting all hot and sweaty made me not-so-hungry for lunch so I just made a protein shake with a banana, Jay Robb chocolate protein, some Greek yogurt, water, ice and agave nectar. VERY tasty! I want to have this again. Not a very big lunch but I got carbs & protein so I was happy.
Dinner: Thai Lime Chicken; rice & spinach Great dinner and it came together fast. The spinach & rice was just something I threw together and it worked out nicely. Just cook rice then stir in some thawed spinach with garlic powder, onion powder and salt.
Thai Lime Chicken
From Clean Eating Magazine July/August 2009 issue


1/3 cup unsalted dry-roasted peanuts
1.5 Tbs. garlic powder
1.5 tsp. ginger, ground (oops! I think I used 1.5 Tbs!)
1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 lime

(I doubled everything to make it serve 4)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a mini food processor (or blender) grind peanuts until fine but not to a paste. In a small bowl, combine peanuts, garlic powder and ginger. Place chicken on a cookie sheet and squeeze lime juice from lime overtop. Then roll chicken in peanut mixture until well-coated. Bake chicken in oven for 25 minutes or until no longer pink in center.

Makes 2 servings, 4-oz each
Calories 360; Total Fat 16 g; Sat Fat 3g; Carbs 11g; Fiber 3g; Protein 42g



Also had a bowl of watermelon with dinner.

Dessert: 1 "clean eating" ice cream sandwich So good. The fro yo was just ok. I might just try to find some fro yo at the store to use next time.
CE "Ice Cream" Sandwiches

From Clean Eating Magazine July/August 2009

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

1.5 cups strained low fat plain yogurt

1/4 cup agave nectar

2 tsp vanilla

In a mixing bowl, combine strained yogurt, agave, and vanilla. Stir until blended, then spoon mixture into a shallow 9x9" non-reactive freezer-safe container.

Transfer container to freezer and chill until mixture is starting to freeze slightly around edges, about 45 minutes. Scrape ice crystals from edges with a spatula and mix thoroughly back into yogurt mixture. Continue to blend until creamy again, about 2 minutes. Return container to freezer and repeat this process 2 more times, for a total of 3 times. Each time the mixture will get thicker and harder to blend. After third mixing, return container to freezer until ready to eat, about 2-3 hours. For best results, store tightly sealed in freezer and use within 2-3 days.

Chocolate-Spiked Oatmeal Cookies

olive oil cooking spray

1 1/4 cup quick-cook old-fashioned oats

1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour

2 tsp flaxseed meal

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup agave nectar

1 large egg white

2 tsp. unsalted almond butter

1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup dark mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray 2 baking sheets with olive oil.

In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together agave, egg white, almond butter and vanilla. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients all at once and combine. Stir in chocolate chips.

Divide batter equally into 16 mounds and arrange evenly spaced on prepared baking sheets. Using the back of a slightly dampened spoon, flatten each mound into 2.5 inch circles. Bake 9-10 minutes, until golden. Cool on sheets for an additional 10 minutes before transferring to racks to cool completely. Stored in an airtight container, cookies will keep fresh for 2-3 days.

(These are so yummy)

"Ice Cream" Sandwiches

To assemble sandwiches, spoon 3 Tbs frozen yogurt between 2 cookies. If yogurt is too hard to scoop, allow it to warm slightly for a few minutes on counter until desired consistency. Repeat for remaining cookies. Eat immediately of transfer to freezer-safe container and store in freezer until ready to eat. For best results, eat within 2-3 hours of filling cookies.

Makes 8 cookie sandwiches

Per sandwich:

calories 260; total fat 4.5g; carbs 50g; fiber 3g; protein 8g
Chuck and I went to Bass Pro Shop tonight and I saw this salsa and thought of Jack Sh*t....even though he did hint that I look like a dork in my bodybugg. Ahem. Let's move on. Anyway, the label cracked me up so I had to get it. :) This one's for you Mr. Sh*t.
Speaking of Mr Jack Sh*t, he is having a cool challenge. The stakes are low: lose 1/2 pound in a week. If you do it he will include your name in a poem. Can't wait for that one. You can bet that I'll be working hard. (Please don't make a rhyme with Kelly and Belly....I just might be offended. LOL)


Calories Burned: 3337 (!)

I burned approx 200 calories doing EA Sports Active but the Leslie Sansone DVD made me burn almost 800 calories!!! Can you guess what exercise I'll be doing today? :) I'm impressed.

6 comments:

  1. Those frogurt sandwiches look summertime delicious. Does the agave nectar have a distinct flavour? I was thinking of getting some to try, as I've never been fond of honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no insightful comment here but:

    are you freakin melting in this heat as am I?

    the Toddler is already bored with the summersunshine.
    send help :)


    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  3. That chicken looks AWESOME! I'm printing and keeping that one for next month for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SeaShore, agave is very neutral in flavor and is relatively low on the glycemic index compared to honey and sugar. It works out beautifully in baking because it doesn't give food its own flavor. Give it a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MizFit, it's crazy hot. I'm beginning to melt. Let's go tubing the Frio River to cool off. Hey, don't you guys have Barton Springs and McKinney Falls?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)