Thursday, June 4, 2009

Lemon Parsley Chicken (5 pts)

Yesterday I mentioned that I was trying to get better quality foods. Some people may call it clean eating. I've also heard it called whole foods. Our grandparents just called it food.

You'll probably notice that I don't eat 100% terrific. And you may say, "I thought she said she was going to try to eat better. Why is she eating this processed junk?" I still have a lot of processed goodies in the pantry, freezer and fridge. I'm not just going to throw it out. And occasionally I like some nasty for you stuff like a donut or something. Maybe even some Taco Hell from time to time. Because that's just how I roll. ;-)

This documentary called Food, Inc. looks to be interesting. At least "food for thought." haha

Breakfast: hot cereal with dewberries, walnuts, Greek yogurt and some sugar free syrup; cup of green tea
Freakin cereal!! I tried cooking it twice in the microwave and both times it spilled over the bowls and made big messes. First time was too much wasted to even claim it. So I get a BIG bowl to cook it in. It does the same darn thing! How can 1/4 cup of cereal make such a mess?! I ask you! I salvaged what I could and just got on with my life.

Had some munchies today.
Munchies: 1 peep; 1/2 of brownie

Lunch: spicy tuna sushi and a bowl of cantaloupe
Did my EA Sports Active on wii on high intensity. It totally handed me my butt today. My legs were quivering on the side lunges and I thought I was going to die during the fast kickbacks. But I got 36 minutes of exercise in. Yeah! Also did 20 modified push ups.
.
Snack: cup of organic coffee and a prune
.
Cooking with "whole" ingredients makes a bigger mess than cooking out of the box. It also takes a little more prep time but the flavors are so good. I think Chuck likes it too. Don't ya, Chuck?
.
Dinner: lemon parsley chicken; rice with toasted sesame seeds and green onion; steamed broccoli
I thought I had some brown rice but I couldn't find it. I had forgotten how good white rice is. :P

Lemon Parsley Chicken (5 pts; 215 calories)

from a Weight Watcher magazine

4 (6 oz) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 cup finely chopped parsley

2 tsp grated lemon rind

2 tsp olive oil

1 tsp light butter

Place chicken breast halves between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound to 1/4" thickness using meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.

Combine parsley and lemon rind in a small bowl; toss gently. Press half of parsley mixture evenly onto 1 side of each chicken breast.

Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Add oil and butter to pan, and heat until butter melts. Add chicken, herb side down, and cook 4-5 minutes or until chicken begins to brown. Top chicken breasts with remaining parsley mixture; turn and cook 4-5 minutes or until done.

Yield: 4 servings

Dessert: some licorice and shared some popcorn with Chuck

I had planned on going walking tonight but my legs are jelly and we needed to go shopping for Rachel's birthday. She'll be 14 on Saturday. :( Where does the time go?

Calories Burned: 2401

14 comments:

  1. I have the same issues with oatmeal in the micro. I've finally learned to cook it on level 7 for 40 seconds and then stir and then repeat. Of course, I stand there eyeballing it the whole time cause I don't have time in the AM to clean up the mess!

    I'll be trying that lemon chicken recipe! yum. I like to think I mostly eat clean with a little dirt for good measure! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the food! I've got a couple comments lately about how I need to enjoy "real" food and blahblahblah.... I'm like, geez, I'm eating what I like! So what if I eat "lighter" foods sometimes, or whatever? That's just how I am.
    So don't worry about eating 100% perfect-- you'll go crazy!

    I know, I hate making microwave oats. I always use a gigantic bowl, and even then I have to watch it like a hawk and hit STOP right as it's about to bubble over.

    That cantaloupe looks delicious, and fantastic dinner!

    Have a great night :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a message for you in the comments of my last post, but got to thinking about it and wanted to add something to it. When I got back into riding, I had a Huffy Mountain Bike. It had 18 speeds, I think. I loved it and even though it was heavy and bulky, I rode it in the MS150! It never got a flat like some of those foo-foo high-priced bikes and I was very comfortable on it.

    My point is, riding a bike is about having fun and getting exercise all at the same time. My son's girlfriend bought a Schwinn from WalMart and loves it. It's a pretty blue color, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only eat clean 85% of the time. I like candy too much. ;)You should get Clean Eating magazine, it has some really wonderful recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man that chicken looks great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It all looks sooooo good, Kelly! I like thinking what I choose to do is called moderation. Some clean eating. Some Taco Hell now and then. It works for me. I know you'll clear that pantry and find a groove that works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great, Kelly! I agree with Piday - Clean Eating Mag has some terrific recipes - I'll be trying one this weekend for black bean meatballs!

    BTW, about the tofu - I think my Lite Tofu is firm, but extra firm is even better for baked tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw that Clean Eating amagazine online! I want to subscribe but have to wait until payday. Too many expenses all at once. :(

    Tena, I got a bike from Wal Mart that looked very cool and retro. Like something that needed a basket on the front to carry fresh cut flowers or something. It sucked so bad that I could never ride it. It wasn't good for street or trails. Ugh.

    I just want to make sure I get a decent bike. I don't mind saving for one if I can enjoy it. But I'm not going to pay $8K for some of those bikes like the super fancy triathlon bike. No way. Guess I need to head over to Bike Barn and look around.

    I'm super impressed that you road a Huffy mountain bike in the MS150! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I looked at that EA Active game last night, but I just want to get outside while the weather's nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The oatbran does the same thing in the microwave! I keep an eye on it and when it starts to bubble up a bit I stir it a bit and then start the microwave again. Cant leave the blasted stuff alone!

    Are dewberries the same as blackberries??

    You are right about how are grandparents just called all of what we ate food :) I was making sugar snap peas the other night that I got from the farmers market, and as I was snapping and unzipping them (pulling the string out) I had memories of sitting on my grandparents porch doing the same thing as a kid. They grew them in their yard, and it wasnt thought of as organic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mmmm the chicken sounds/looks so good!! i'll have to try that out!! i just love how you're always trying new things!! keep em coming! :)

    happy friday!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang that breakfast looks yummy!

    Eating clean most of the time is better than not at all, so give yourself credit for doing what you can!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dewberries=blackberries on steroids Grow wild around here and peak season is May-early June. I grew up eating tons of these right off the vine in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, what granny said!! Just "food". And granny would never, ever through away food, and she also tuned me on to coke (the drink) and red velvet cake. Just small steps, most of the time, in the right direction. That really is all we have to do.

    I watched Michael Pollen do an interview last night (he is part of the movie Food, Inc.). Meh. The interview didn't do the movie or his work justice. I have several of his books, and they are a worth while read for anyone struggling with the whole foods/clean eating vs. SAD (Standard American Diet) issue.

    Congrats on the .08, Sista!! :-) have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)