Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Monday 6/15/09; Oriental Tuna Steak Recipe

I was so tired today. I mean really tired. Managed to get out of bed to feed myself at least.

Breakfast: oatmeal with chocolate protein powder; organic pear I hope I don't get pulled over by the food police for saying this but it seems that most organic produce is inferior in quality. I know it's not covered in pesticides, etc but I always have trouble finding apples that aren't bruised worse than a Mike Tyson victim. Is it just me? I'm going to start hitting up the farmer's markets and see if it's better out there.
Lunch: falafel with tzaziki sauce on a low carb pita; cherries; salad
Snack: walnuts with honey Greek yogurt (I love this combo!)
Dinner: Oriental Style Tuna Steak; fresh spinach with garlic; honeydew melon (These tuna steaks are terrific. Just make sure you get very fresh, high quality tuna)
Oriental Style Tuna Steak
(recipe calls for swordfish but I like tuna better)
.
2 pounds tuna steak, about 1 inch thick
2 Tbs olive oil
sea salt and pepper
3 cloves garlic; peeled
1/4 cup fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 Tbs Dijon mustard
1/4 cup naturally fermented soy sauce (I just used what I had in the pantry)
2 Tbs fish sauce (optional) (I opted out of this one)
1 Tbs raw honey
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbs toasted sesame oil
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil (I used much less)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
3 Tbs sesame seeds, toasted in oven (I just used non toasted)
.
Brush steaks with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through on a barbecue or under a broiler. Transfer to heated platter and keep warm until ready to serve. Meanwhile, place garlic, ginger, mustard, optional fish sauce and soy sauce in food processor and process until blended. Add honey and vinegar and process again. With motor running, add the sesame and olive oils gradually so that sauce emulsifies and thickens.
.
Place tuna servings on warmed plates. Spoon sauce over and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. This dish goes well with spinach, chard, Chinese peas and steamed Chinese cabbage.
.
.
I'd like to tell you that I exercised and went to bed early. That's what I'd like to tell you. Wouldn't that just be the perfect dieter's day? Unfortunately being tired and having raging hormones sent me in a different direction. Since this is my journey and I need to be perfectly honest with both the ups and the downs, here it goes: I had a Holey Donut, a couple of York peppermint patties (the small ones), a couple of caramel eggs and a bowl of popcorn. I felt like a bottomless pit but I decided to just go to bed before it got worse.
.
And no, I didn't exercise either. :)
.
This week is going to be one of those weeks.
*need to get part for RV
* need to take Rachel's pants back
*make menu and get groceries for a camping trip this weekend
*take dogs to mom's and pick up niece to go camping with us
*Thursday is my perfect husband's birthday
*get to campsite early to reserve our spot
*come back home to load everything because Chuck has to work that day
*get set up and finally relax...wish it were for a whole week
*Oh! and need to get the birds extra food set up for while we are gone
.
I need to post some pics of my sweet birds. Love em. They're beautiful except for Coco who is naked. She plucked her feathers when we were going through a lot of moves and flooded once, etc.
.
**Update on Walk-It Challenge** I am sad to announce that I will not be doing the 5k that I signed up for. Every single time I run my left calf cramps and hurts so bad that it gives me trouble walking for a few days. I've let it rest for a couple of weeks and then tried again but it's always the same thing. Then I have to get my leg roller thingy out and roll it like crazy. I stretch and do everything I can but the pain runs from behind my knee all the way down my calf. I'm not going to risk an injury by running until I get this checked out. Good news is that I've already done my own 5k a few times while training for this one. :)

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tuna steak recipe... I'm always scared to try making one!

    From what I've read about organic produce is that since the focus isn't creating perfect looking produce, you end up with a few more bruises but in fact the fruit tastes better. I'm not sure how true that is but I know that the weirder the tomato looks the better it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had the same problem with some of the organic stuff, Kelly. Part of its the lack of chemical engineering designed to protect the fruit/veggie on long trips and part of it is supply/demand (simply less to pick from).

    Good idea on the farmer's market. Chances are you'll do better on the organic fare there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing meals today! I am digging the falafel with tzatziki! YUM!

    You should be so proud of yourself for cutting off the snacking and heading to bed. That is a score, if you ask me!

    Hope you're feeling better;)

    Sounds like a fun week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your falafel lunch looks delicious. I love the tuna steak recipe. I haven't had those for awhile!

    Good luck with your week! It sounds like you've got a lot going on. And I hope your leg feels better soon! Injuries are frustrating :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lunch look so yummy! Ugh I need a snack now lol.

    I think I might be lucky living in the area that I do. We have a lot of amazing organic produce that is also pretty. I can tell you that at least at the Farmers Markets, things like apples arent necessarily bruised, but the skins sometimes have an odd or rougher texture. Hopefully you'll have luck at the Farmers Market...or should you win the lottery, there is always the produce at Whole Foods (seriously $8 for a lb of apples is insane.)

    Sounds like a tough day...just conquer one thing on that to do list at a time, and it'll all get taken care of. Moms have the hardest jobs out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about your calf, but glad you're taking good care of yourself. There will be other 5Ks, and as you say, you've already done your own.

    Your food, as always, looks delish.

    We buy little organic because it is cost prohibitive and because there isn't much where I live. I'll have to check our farmer's market, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do that same thing with the oatmeal...and it is ANOTHER THING my husband makes fun of/gags at!

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I just stumbled on your blog! GREAT PICS!
    I agree that the organic produce looks a little beat up but I know it's so much better for me. It's a good idea to try the farmer's market. It doesn't have to be "delivered" the way it does to a grocery store so it's a little prettier! Hope you don't mind if I come back soon!
    -A

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you are going to continue to run you might have to end up getting orthodics. It has helped many of my runner friends. Personally, I only run when being chased. ;) But other people seem to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about your leg giving you troubles!

    The tuna looks wonderful. We love tuna steaks.

    I agree about the apples. I usually buy mine at TJs & they are always bruised. I don't notice a taste difference on those, but boy can I tell a difference with the pineapples & oranges. So much sweeter - no idea why!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your meals look so yummy! How do you make them look so colorful? Mine are always bland hehe (#^.^#)

    Ooh hope you get your leg checked and everything turns out okay. Great job on your own 5k runs!!!! I.. mm.. maybe I'll do a 5k walk :> :>

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah, the grocery distribution system just doesn't work well for organic produce. That is what we try to grow so much. But when I buy at the grocery store, I just buy the freshest regular stuff most of the time.

    You have a very busy week, and you just reached a major goal. Maybe it is a good week to just try and hold steady?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about your leg putting you out of the 5K. Hope you can do another soon.
    Path to Health

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)