Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Monday Food Log

Food Log? Sounds kind of disgusting like a cheese log or something. Wonder what a food log would be...ground up bits of leftovers shaped into a log? Gross. There has got to be a better title than anything that uses the word "log."

Maybe Food Diary? "Dear food, my day was good. I met a new food today and I think he really likes me." Nah. Guess it will remain food log for now.

Not a lot of pictures today and the munching was not very exciting. Sorry. Mondays are difficult after being gone for a while and then having to get everything back together.

Breakfast: oatmeal and SF Rock Star (2 pts; 140 calories)

Had to go get the dogs from my mom's. She kept them while we were camping. We could have brought the pups but it's so much nicer (for me) camping without them. Unfortunately, my mom lives about 2 hours away. So it's quite a drive to her house and back.

Stopped by McD's on the way for lunch. But I brought my own goodies! The thought of facing the scale on Weds has me behaving like Saint Kelly of Weight Watchers.

Lunch: gnu bar (2 pts; 140 calories); apple (1 pt; 81 calories); WW string cheese (1 pt; 50 calories)

Spent some time with the folks. She gave me a morning glory plant which I hope not to kill but with my track record...well.....let's just say my house is death row for plants.

On the way home I was so hungry but only had 2 Fiber One bars in the car. Of course I gave them to the kids like a good mom.

Snack once at home: gnu bar (2 pts; 140 calories) and a slice of wasa rye cracker (0 pt; 30 calories)

Dinner: veggie chicken patty, Ranch and bacon sandwich with FF swiss cheese; baked fries (11 pts; 470 calories)
Dessert: cream filled Holey Donut (4 pts; 200 calories) and a cup of green tea
While on our camping trip I finished reading Master Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels. There's some scary stuff in there! It makes you afraid of your pantry. I always thought eating clean meant you washed your food and plates first.
.
The bottom line of the book is that we eat so many chemically laden foods that our hormones get totally out of whack and make us fat and give us health problems. The book teaches you which foods are hormone triggers and inhibitors. It's more than food though; it's about getting enough rest, exercising, staying stress free, etc. It's a great book and I plan on reading it again. If you are a vegetarian be warned because this book does recommend meats and fish.
.
The motto of the book could be summed up as "if it didn't have a mother or doesn't come from the ground, don't eat it." You would be surprised at how many chemicals we eat every day and each one of those does have an effect.
.
Let's play a game: *Name That Food* I'll give you the ingredient list of a food and see if you can figure out what it is. Oh, come on, it'll be fun. Ready?
.
Textured vegetable protein (soy protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, wheat gluten, water for hydration), water, bleached wheat flour, enriched flour (wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), corn oil, cornstarch, yellow corn flour, contains two percent or less of wheat starch, salt, wheat gluten, dextrose, methylcellulose, modified corn starch, hydrolyzed corn and soy protein, potassium chloride, sugar, natural and artificial flavors from non-meat sources, autolyzed yeast extract, yeast extract, soybean oil, maltodextrin, soy protein isolate, leavening (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda),disodium inosinate, onion, dried yeast, caramel color, inulin from chicory root, spices, xanthan gum, tapioca dextrin, sodium alginate, guar gum, paprika extract for color, cellulose gum, citric acid, lactic acid, annatto extract for color, garlic, paprika, disodium guanylate, celery extract, wheat fiber, turmeric for color, barley extract, niacinamide, nonfat dry milk, egg whites, succinic acid, iron (ferrous sulfate), thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin B12
.
These are the ingredients taken straight from the box. How many ingredients do you recognize? Should food come from a chemical plant?
.
So did you guess what the mystery food was? Any one? It's the Morningstar Chick Patty I had on my sandwich tonight. Yep. I ate a chemistry lab for dinner.
.
I'm going to start trying to eat better but it will take small steps. Any improvement is a step in the right direction.
.
Points: 22/24
.
Calories Burned 1995
Calorie Intake: 1251
Calorie Deficit: 744

5 comments:

  1. I highly recommend In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan. It's a great read, and really turned my head around about processed foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...i had NO idea what those ingredients were in...wowzers!!!

    it's great to be aware tho...good luck!!

    hope you have a terrific tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job getting back in gear, St. Kelly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I skimmed through Jillian's new book at the bookstore and it looked really interesting. I have it on a waiting list at the library :)

    Wow that's a HUGE list of ingredients for that chick patty! Geez. I had no idea it had that many!

    I aim to eat foods where I can recognize most (if not all) of the ingredients, but every so often I think it's okay to eat processed foods like that chick patty-- that's better than a mcdonald's hamburger, or doritos! It's about moderation and balance, not all-or-nothing :) Small steps sound like a great idea.

    Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, lots and lots of made up food. I am a huge fan of clean eating. Some artifical sweetners sneak in from time to time but I do my best to stay away.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)