Thursday, June 11, 2009

Opa! Mini Greek Fest; Tzaziki recipe

Breakfast: 8 grain hot cereal with strawberry protein powder; watermelon
After breakfast I geared up and went for a walk. I haven't been running in a while because the back of my left leg would hurt after each run and into the next day. So I tried running for 4 sessions but the calf started hurting again. I'm just going to have to break down and go to the doctor. I HATE going to the doctor. Except the dentist because he gives me good stuff like Halcion and laughing gas. I LOVE going to the dentist. Hmmm....is it time for a root canal yet?
.
Anyway, I walked/ran for 1 hour. Only made it 3.5 miles because it was so freakin hot outside. I'm going to have to start putting some money aside for a treadmill.
.
Crawled back to the house, drank huge quantities of water and then did EA Sports Active. Still struggling with those squat jumps. Come on, guys. Is that even a real exercise or did Satan slip that one into the game program? Also not a big fan of kickbacks or squat holds. I am noticing more definition in my legs though. Yeah!
.
Got cleaned up (I can really sweat!) and changed bird cages. Big birds make big messes.
.
Speaking of birds.......TOMORROW I get to go pet the penguins at Moody Gardens. I am SO excited. Giggly excited. I hope the penguin is ready. I will love him and pat and squeeze him and hold him and call him George. (reference to old Looney Tunes) You know I'll be posting pics. I'm pumped!
.
Lunch: leftover stir fry; honeydew melon
Afternoon snack: Gnu Chocolate Brownie Bar (I like these a lot)
Dinner: Greek Salad with kalamata olives, fat free feta and pepperoncini peppers; falafel pitas with hummus & tzaziki; dolmas with tzaziki
(I only ate 2 of the dolmas) The falafel is from a mix where you just add water and then saute the patties in a little olive oil or bake. Awesome!
This is some awesome tzaziki. I've been to my share of Greek restaurants and this one is up there with the best. You want the recipe? See below. :)
Tzaziki (Cucumber Yogurt Dip/Sauce)
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup plain yogurt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbs. fresh mint, finely chopped
1 Tbs. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 Tbs. lemon juice
1/4 tsp pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
.
Salt chopped cucumber and let stand in a colander about 1 hour. Mix other ingredients together and stir in cucumber.
.
PS: Nourishing Traditions is an awesome cookbook and filled with cool info.
.
It's been a busy day so I am signing off early. I hope I'll be able to sleep tonight. :) So.Very.Excited.
.
OH NO! Rachel is making more cupcakes and they smell so good.

8 comments:

  1. LMFAO "I will call him George"

    You know what I was doing Saturday mornings as a kid...

    Have fun with the penguins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book! And the "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" book too...but I didn't do something right becasue I ate fat, kept fat.

    Have fun with George!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an exercising maniac! Great job!!

    I heart greek food. Love all your eats tonight.

    Have a great time tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun with the penguins!! I can't wait to hear how it goes. Mmm I just bought some falafel mix today. I can't wait to use it! Your dinner looks delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tzaziki sauce!! Thanks for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY PENGUIN PETTING!!

    get us some photos please.

    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I'm so excited for penguin pics! Can't wait to hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greek food is awesome, healthy and I LOVE tzatzkiki. I got addicted to it when I lived in Greece during my stint in the Air Force. Was stationed on the island of Crete for a year and a half. I found a recipe that reminds me exactly of what it tasted like. (I've gone to Greek restaurants here in the states and it usually isn't as good.) One tip if you make this with fat free yogurt - put it in cheesecloth in a strainer with a bowl underneath in the fridge overnight. It will drain off most of the water and give you a creamier consistency.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)