Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Product Review: Gnu Bars

The nice folks at Gnu Foods sent me a variety pack of their bars to try. You may have seen me mention them a few times in my food logs?


Flavors in order of my favorites:


  1. Peanut Butter Bar

  2. Chocolate Brownie Bar

  3. Orange Cranberry Bar

  4. Cinnamon Raisin Bar

  5. Banana Walnut Bar

The texture is chewy with tiny bits of flax and millet and sometimes puffed rice.

As soon as you open the package you get a burst of orange or peanut butter or banana, etc. smell depending on which variety you are eating.

These are not as sweet as the Fiber One bars which is probably a good thing. but they are sweet.

I found that the bars really fill me up. With 12g of fiber, these really keep you satisfied. I love that they have 8g of soluble fiber and 4 g. of insoluble fiber. It's good to get a mix.

My daughter was hesitant to try one. They don't look exactly appetizing. She tried the peanut butter bar and really liked it. I would be thrilled to get my kids to eat these on hiking trips instead of the Fiber One bars.

Nutrition: (this is for the chocolate brownie bar but other flavors are similar)

Calories: 140; Total Fat 4 g; Sat. Fat 1g; Trans Fat 0 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 30 mg; Total Carbohydrate 30g; Dietary Fiber 12g; soluble fiber 8g; insoluble fiber 4g; Sugars 9g; Other Carbohydrate 9g; Protein 4g

If you are a Weight Watcher this will cost you 2 points...the same as your Fiber One bar but much healthier.

Gnu Bars are:

  • High Fiber: 12g per bar
  • made with 6 whole grains
  • fruit juice sweetened
  • only 130-140 calories
  • made with organic whole wheat and kamut flours
  • made with aluminum free baking powder
  • loaded with both soluble and insoluble fiber
  • vegan
  • kosher-dairy

Gnu Bars Have:

  • no high fructose corn syrup
  • no refined sugars (except chips in chocolate brownie bar)
  • no cholesterol
  • no trans fat
  • no hydrogenated oils
  • no preservatives
  • no artificial flavors
  • no artificial colorings
  • no sugar alcohols
  • no dairy or whey
  • no maltodextrin

You can find a store near you that carries these bars by visiting their web site: http://www.gnufoods.com/

Bottom line: I am thrilled with these bars. I do wish they had more protein. I'll be packing these for hiking trips from now on.

6 comments:

  1. These sound good - like you, I wish they had more protein, but I do like that they are more natural.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I think they are a great bar for only 2 POINTS. What I found is that they don't trigger me to want to eat/crave more. They are satisfying and good enough on their own (which is good for me!). I don't need any extra snacking encouragement - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good. Where do you buy them? I wish they had more protein, too. Maybe a few almonds with it would be good.

    My son bought me the fit & fresh bowl, so I'll check with him and see where he got it. There are a few things about it I don't like: lid is hard to get off, dressing container falls out (LOL), the little fork thingy is flimsy. Otherwise, it keeps the sald fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tena, you can get the bars in the Houston area at Central Market, Rice Epicurean markets and the Vitamin Shoppe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've tried the cinnamon raisin one before and liked it. I agree, more protein would be nice. But they're tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will have to try these. The "no" list is great, and the fact they have soluble fiber...great.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)