Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tender Chicken in Gravy Recipe (5 pts)

Tomorrow is my weigh in day. Tomorrow I report whether I lost 1/2 pound for the Jack Sh*t Half Pound Challenge. If I haven't lost that .5 pound there is a chance that I will resort to this plastic knife and do my own liposuction. There won't be any suction though. Just cuttin'. I must win this challenge.
Breakfast: Swamp Water with Amazing Greens, spinach, kefir, banana, chia, ice and stevia Have you tried a Green Smoothie yet? If not, what are you waiting for? It's not bad. I promise. Please try this:
*handful of spinach leaves
*about 1 cup almond milk, soy milk, regular milk or even water (better with milk though)
*1 banana
*1 orange (optional..can also use pineapple, berries, kiwi, etc)
*about 1-2 handfuls ice
*some sweetener like agave, honey, stevia
*1 Tbs flax seed or chia seed (optional)
Blend. Drink. Now go do it and let me know what you think. :)


Lunch: tuna salad and spinach leaves on whole wheat toast; fresh pineapple That's some of the sweetest pineapple I've had in a long time.
Exercise time: did The Shred Level 1 The hardest parts were the push ups and the arm raises where you lift weights to eye level. Lets me know that I need to work on upper body strength.
.
Drank some water and then did Leslie Sansone's 4 Mile Super Challenge. It's not a terribly difficult DVD but it does burn the calories. Bodybugg said I burned 600 calories today on this DVD. A little over 300 doing Jillian's workout.
.
Leslie has a 5 mile walk that I am going to lobby for. Chuck, if you are reading this.....I sure would like to have this. :)
.
Dinner: Tender Chicken in Gravy over brown rice; Broccoli with a sprinkling of cheese; (not shown) cantaloupe The chicken was pretty good. Good comfort food.
Tender Chicken in Gravy (5 pts)
from Weight Watchers 20 Minute Recipes mag
.
cooking spray
1.5 pounds chicken breast tenders
1 (14 oz) can fat free less sodium chicken broth (I used organic)
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup fat free evaporated milk
2 Tbs. all purpose flour
1 Tbs. light butter
2 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley, divided
.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken, and cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn chicken; add broth thyme, garlic powder, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove chicken from pan; set aside, and keep warm.
.
Combine milk and flour in small bowl; stir with a whisk. Bring broth mixture to a boil. Cook 4 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Slowly stir in milk mixture, butter, and 1 Tbs parsley. Cook, stirring constantly, until gravy thickens. Serve over chicken; sprinkle with remaining parsley. Yield: 4 servings (about 3 chicken tenders with 1/4 cup gravy)
.
Calories 254; Fat 4g; Protein 43.5g; Carb 8.2g; Fiber .4g 5 Points

My cupcake maker, Rachel, made another cute creation for me. I told her I would eat it after weigh in. She tried to make it healthier by using applesauce instead of oil but the toppings are not healthy at all. I think it's just the cutest! The "potatoes" are cream cheese frosting; the gravy is caramel; the butter is a laffy taffy. Love it!
That's it for today. We finally got some good rain and boy did we need it.
Wish me luck on the weigh in tomorrow. :)
Giveaway Alert: * Zesty Cook is giving away some POM. I've been wanting to try this.
*J. Leigh Designz is having a giveaway of a really cool product called Sport Brella. This would be great for hiking and canoe trips or just a day at the beach.

14 comments:

  1. Kelly - hello from a fellow Texas who loves your blog! You are out to win the .5# challenge!
    I mentioned how impressed I was with those seeds...thanks for telling all about them... could I give a shout-out to you about them? I would love to blog about how wonderful Chia seeds are. I hope that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly, Love your daughter's cupcakes. They are adorable. I've always said cupcakes are the world's most perfect food! :)

    The chicken looks good too, I'm going to have to try it. Thanks for recipe.

    STEP AWAY FROM ALL PLASTIC CUTLERY! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your weigh-in goes well, and that there's no need for plastic knives! Haha. That cupcake is adorable. The toppings may not be healthy, but they sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't tried a green thing yet. I might handle the taste okay, but the color! lol How many points are your swamps?

    Your daughter has a wonderful creative streak. Love her latest cupcake!

    lol at the plastic knife. Remember before weigh in to shave your legs, clip your nails, trim your hair, pluck your eyebrows...just kidding. I know you'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your WI, Kelly. I'm rootin' for ya!

    Thanks for turning me on to the WAP again. I like having something else different to add to the exercise routine.

    I have been meaning to try that chicken recipe; glad to know you thought it was good!

    And tell Rachel that is the most adorable cupcake I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about those effin arm raises. My shoulders must be super weak. Also, I'm getting so bored of level one that I'm considering doing level 2. Am I crazy?

    Cupcake is soooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments yesterday :)

    Good luck on Weigh In, though I doubt you need it! I have the WATP 5 Mile Walk (Walk Like a Runner) and really enjoy it. I think you can find it on Amazon for a pretty good price, at least that is where I found mine.

    Your daughter has a great talent for the cupcakes, which would be evil for me since I LOVE Cupcakes. When I got to NYC next week, I'm heading to Sweet Revenge, they do beer and wine pairings with Cupcakes, and it will be truly not WW friendly lol.

    My blender is being a bit of a pain in the a$$ so I am thinking of getting one of the Magic Bullets for myself shortly! Once I do, I will be giving the Green Monster a try...I hate spinach, but it's so good for ya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you aren't laying in the kitchen bleeding after trying self-amputation or something... :-)

    Wow, I keep resisting the green smoothies because #1) I think I would still want to chew some food, and #2) I can't shake the memory of the one we made with kale. Yuk!! I love kale, but that was one of the worse things I have ever tasted. But your recipe is pretty tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter should try spaghetti and meatball cupcakes those are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love my smoothies but have not gone green with them. I actually saw kefir at the store yesterday and wondered if you used it. (Guess I haven't been paying close enough attention :)

    But I noticed you say you use it but didn't list it in ingredients of the Swamp Water. Is that what you use for your liquid? ie: almond milk, soy milk, kefir etc?

    I just may have to try one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa, I use kefir in place of almond milk when I have it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anne, of course! Shout outs are fun. :) Do love them ch-ch-ch-chia seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a recent convert to green smoothies and love them! (I use frozen banana, a couple cups of spinach, non fat milk, yogurt, and a lime or two for my citrus because it tastes...green!).

    I'll have to check out that chicken recipe--it sounds delicious and doesn't look like the ingredients are too evil.

    And that cupcake is adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)