Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Tuesday: 2 pt Mac n Cheese; Roasted Potatoes

Breakfast: Carb Check Bagel with Mayhaw Jelly; SF Rock Star; Green TeaWhen I went to visit my mom yesterday, we went to the state park right around the block from where I grew up (Village Creek State Park). In the office they had wild muscadine grape jelly and mayhaw jelly. I may be biased but I think mayhaw jelly is the best jelly in the world. It's not something that I find regularly in the grocery store either. Sooooooo good.


I love mac and cheese. I mean really love. It's up there with brownies. I just hate all of the calories. I picked up a box of this Fiber Gourmet Mac mmmm Cheese in a little store in Beaumont, TX called Basic Foods. Wish I would have bought a truck load!

Lunch: Mac mmm Cheese (2 pts; 160 calories) and an apple
The ingredient list wasn't too terribly bad:
Macaroni & Cheese: Hard Wheat Flour, Modified Wheat Starch (Resistant Starch, a source of fiber), Wheat Gluten. Sauce Mix: Whey, Maltodextrin, Wheat Flour, Salt, Soybean Oil, Cheddar Cheese, Sodium Caseinate, Lactic Acid, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Buttermilk, Natural Flavors, Annato, Tocopherols
OK, the list isn't that great either. :) What is resistant starch anyway?!
.
.
A BIG thank you to MizFit for taking time out of her busy schedule to help me understand what a weight training routine should look like. It totally inspired me to get up and go lift something....anything!
.
I grabbed some weights and lifted a few times. I know how to work my biceps. OK, now I need to work my shoulders. Umm....how do I do that? I'm really clueless how to work my body with weights! At least my biceps benefited. So I am going to do some reading and research in my "spare time" (haha, what's that?) to try to find out how to do various exercises with weights.
.
I've read in more than one place that strength training really boosts your metabolism which is something we want, right? Plus I love the look of cut arms.
..
Dinner was "I didn't go to the grocery store so let's see what we can find in the cupboard and freezer." Hence you will notice a total lack of green stuff today.
Had some potatoes left over from the camping trip. How about roasted potatoes?! These are so darn good. I made them in an old iron skillet that my mom had passed down to me years ago. Many fried steaks and cornbread have been made in this seasoned skillet.
It's really simple to make.
Roasted Potatoes
olive oil
about 5 large potatoes
chili powder
chopped onion or dried minced onion
3-4 cloves minced garlic
salt & pepper
a little bit of chopped rosemary (optional)
.
Cut up potatoes into bite size bits and rinse under water to remove some starch. Mix about 2 Tbs olive oil (maybe more or less, just make sure potatoes are lightly covered in it) and seasoning ingredients. Pour over potatoes and toss together. Place all in a roasting pan or oven safe skillet and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Stir; cook another 30-45 minutes until lightly browned. Will make the house smell edible.
.
Dinner: black bean burger with cheese; roasted potatoes; broccoli rice and cheese (my bun got a little too toasted)

Dessert: Holey Donut

.

Calories Burned: 2058

7 comments:

  1. My day was totally lacking in many green things also! Not because I need to grocery shop, but because I was entirely lazy yesterday on the food front! At least you go some broccoli in at dinner :)

    I'm still jonesing for some carb check bagels. I've emailed the company :D Hopefully I'll get a response or a way to order them online!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're entire menu looked delish. I too Love Love Love mac'n'cheese. Anykind, homemade or not. I could eat a whole box.
    The potatoes look so yummy.
    Good Eats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that fiber gourmet mac & cheese! It's sooo good! Yea the ingredient list isn't stellar, but it's not too bad. Could be worse ;)

    Those potatoes look good, too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. every day i see your "calories burned" i am more and more jealous that you own a body bugg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love mac n cheese too...i need to find that stuff!! **fingers crossed** that i can find it in my grocery store!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey!! Thanks so much for your comment on my blog! It's great to know who's out there reading! Are you a SB follower? I did SB for years...and WW too...

    I love cut arms too...that is my goal this summer! :) You have a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the 2nd picture of "I would kill for those potatoes" I have seen in the past 2 minutes. You know the way most people drool over doughnuts and cakes and stuff? That is what happens to me with potatoes. I'm about ready to go dig one out of the garden and eat it raw!! :-) (I had a really early dinner tonight because I missed lunch so now I'm hungry.)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)