Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Weigh In; Black Bean Brownies (3 pts); Stuffed Bell Peppers (6 pts)

I really want to start buying better quality foods: organic fruits and veggies, grass fed beef, free range bananas, cage free peaches, etc. But it costs so much! If I am going to be able to make any changes I need to cut back in other areas.

One area that I cut back on today was changing to online version of Weight Watchers. I will miss the meetings and my sweet leader Jennifer. If you're in the Sugarland area and are looking for a great WW leader go to Jennifer. She's so wonderful.

Weigh in was at home today. That WW scale never really liked me anyway.
Down .8 pounds which is a shock considering the camping trip food fest. This means I am down 47 pounds from last summer. VERY happy about that.

I won't be able to go 100% organic, etc. just yet. But I think any step I make in that direction is giving my body a boost.

Breakfast: green tea; egg and cheese sandwich

I visited a local farmer's market today for some fruits and veggies. No they're not organic but they are a heck of a lot cheaper than going to the grocery store.
It's called Frober's Vegetable Farm if you are in the area. Worth a visit. Stay away from the fried pies...they're addictive. The store has so many great things including berries, the best watermelons, purple hull peas, and huge dewberries.


Got home and Rachel made Black Bean Brownies. We were all a little skeptical but even Charlie, the bean hater, loved them. These are really good. No bean flavor. Just trust me. :-)
Black Bean Brownies (3 pts; 158 calories)

1 box reduced sugar brownie mix
1 can black beans

Rinse black beans. Put back in can and add water until it barely covers beans. Puree in blender until it is absolutely smooth. Mix with brownie mix. Bake according to instructions but don't add anything else. Makes 9 servings. If cut in smaller portions the calories and points should be less. :)

Lunch: tofu, broccoli, brown rice stir fry My first time to cook tofu and it was really good. I only ate about half of this. Very filling and good.
Picked up some individually wrapped prunes at the store today. Something about having them wrapped makes them extra special. :)
Snack: prune
Did EA Sports Active for wii. I chose to do the high intensity workout and it really worked out my legs. Ouch! Jump squats really got me. 32 minute workout of circuit training

another snack: 100 calorie pack of walnuts & almonds

Dinner: Stuffed Bell Peppers (6 pts; 312 calories) These are ready in 10 minutes! and they taste great. Stuffed Bell Peppers (6 pts; 312 calories)

2 large green bell peppers

3/4 pound ground sirloin

1/4 cup chopped onion

1 tsp Italian seasoning

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1 (8.8 oz) package precooked whole-grain brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's)

1 cup tomato-basil pasta sauce

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (I used WW cheese)

Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place bell pepper halves, cut sides up, in an 11x7 inch baking dish. Microwave at HIGH 6-7 minutes or until tender.

While bell peppers cook, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook beef and onion until browned, stirring to crumble beef. Drain, if necessary; return to pan. Stir in dried Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, brown rice, and pasta sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes or until warm, stirring occasionally.

Fill bell pepper halves with beef mixture; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Microwave at HIGH 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts.

Yield: 4 servings 1/2 pepper each

After dinner Chuck and I took a 30 minute walk together. And then came back and did 20 modified push ups.

Calories Burned: 2470

Lastly, a newly discovered blog (for me anyway) is having a giveaway that I would love to win. Aggie's Kitchen is giving away 2 cookbooks. Check out her blog but I am asking nicely that you don't enter the giveaway. I love cookbooks. :)

14 comments:

  1. Yay congrats on the weigh-in! That's awesome! I've never made black bean brownies-- I was also skeptical-- But I'm glad they were good! They definitely look good, and really easy.

    Your stirfry also looks great. Have a lovely night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That market looks really nice! I've made those brownies many times and you cannot tell the difference. I didn't tell my family what they were made with and my husband kept eating them...I finally had to tell him to stop, otherwise he'd be living in the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the loss, Kel!

    Leaving now. Those brownies are making.me.drool......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to try the brownies. Maybe I'll do that for my next cookout...

    I referenced your calorie intake / weight connection post in my blog today. Loved that one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I talked about needing to save money in my last post . . . I think my first step may be switching to just online...

    If you ever need tofu recipes - let me know! I love it and eat it alllllll the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job on the loss!! i'm sure you'll do just as great doing the online version of WW. I didn't realize that it was cheaper to go that route.

    i wish we had a farmers market like that...ours is TINY!!

    I need to try those black bean brownies, heard a lot about them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If God had meant for beans to be in brownies, He would have put them there. That's just wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay on the weigh in! Lady you are so close to 50lbs, I am in complete awe :)

    The black bean brownies are something I am going to have to try!

    I've been doing the online only for a few weeks now, and honestly, I havent missed the meetings. Then again, I wasnt getting anything from them. I've been weighing in at home on my own scale first thing in the morning and get such great support on here that I actually feel like i'm getting more from doing online WW. Give it a try for a couple of weeks. If you really miss them, they always (or at least seem to) have free registration for the monthly pass members!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been reading your blog for some time now and I love it. You inspired me today and I joined WW online. I have been doing this on my own for 2 months and I just felt I was doing something wrong. I have tried to email you but that email just confuses me :) Anyway just wanted to say thanks. I made the brownies, they were good the first day, but not so good to me the second day.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Betty. Congrats on joining WW. If you'd still like to email me it's das.schus@sbcglobal.net

    I'm thinking the brownies might be visited by some ice cream and chocolate syrup tonight. :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, congrats on the weigh in...47 pounds down from last summer is awesome!!!

    Second, thanks for the link to the apex/biking question. I'm going to try moving my bugg when I bike tonight and see if there is a difference.

    Third, eating more natural, clean foods is expensive, but we stopped eating out so much and haven't really felt the pinch at the grocery store because of that. Taco Bell, much as I love it, just isn't clean eating.

    Your market looks great! I would probably go crazy and overbuy on my first trip there, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, you said not to tell! :-)

    Wow, you food looks amazing...next thing you know you will be putting beets in your chocolate cake.

    http://homecooking.about.com/od/dessertrecipes/r/blc125.htm

    I hope the changes work for you Kelly (and you know that I really think they will!). Honestly, I think when people get the hang of it, you can actually save money when you are buying the higher quality foods. Especially if you can grow a few things yourself!

    And congratulations on the weight loss!! Cage free peaches!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the loss.
    I think you will find that switching to a more clean diet will really help you in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AHHHHHHHHHH those stuffed peppers are calling my name! Congrats on the weight loss! I love doing WW online. I could never afford to go to weekly meetings! Way too much per month for me, and I really didn't groove on the meetings anyways. I do MUCH better at home for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)