Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Beans and Rice Ole (5 pts); Chicken Penne (7 pts)

Well, it's back on track today. I had a close call once when I had a chocolate cupcake in my hand. I was so close to attacking it but put it away. Yay, me! :)


Breakfast: Amazing Grass chocolate mix, almond milk, chocolate Jay Robb protein powder, 1 Tbs. chia seeds, stevia, ice; coffee

Lunch: Beans and Rice Ole; Jazz apple Beans and Rice Ole (5 pts)

from Weight Watchers Simply the Best cookbook


1 19-oz. can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained

2 cups cooked brown rice

1/4 cup salsa

1/4 cup minced parsley

3/4 cup nonfat cheddar cheese



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine beans, rice, salsa and parsley; transfer to a 2 quart casserole. Sprinkle with the cheese and bake, uncovered, until the mixture is heated through and the cheese is melted, about 20 minutes. Serves 4

Per serving: 302 calories; 1 g fat; 6 g fiber; 20 g protein



Snack: honey Greek yogurt with walnuts I love this stuff so much.I opened up a watermelon and it wasn't that great. I am having the toughest time with getting a good watermelon this year and it's really frustrating because I love watermelon!


Does anyone have a trick for picking a good watermelon? Please leave comments because I need some help here. Won't you help a girl in need?


I salvaged some by juicing it in my Omega 8005 juicer and adding some stevia and lemon juice. The juicer is a relic from my juice fast diet a couple of years ago. :)Refreshing watermelon lemonade. I forgot I had these chocolate rocks. They are so cool looking and taste amazing. I didn't eat all. Just a couple. :) But aren't they neat looking?
My recipe for dinner called for a little red wine so I opened up a bottle of Liberty School. I love this stuff. It has the full flavor of an expensive wine but at a fraction of the cost. If you see it, give it a try. And yes, I had a glass.
Dinner: Chicken Penne (7 pts) and a big salad Chicken Penne (7 pts)


from Weight Watchers Simply the Best cookbook


Servings: 2 (I doubled it for my family)

1 tsp olive oil

1 onion, chopped (I used dried minced onions)

1/2 green pepper, seeded and chopped


1 garlic clove, minced


one 14.5 oz. can Italian style stewed tomatoes


1/4 pound skinless boneless chicken breast; cubed


2 Tbs dry red wine


1 cup penne or ziti (I used Ronzoni pasta so the points were probably a little lower)


2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, pepper and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, chicken, and wine; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. (I then took the lid off and simmered a while longer to thicken the sauce)

Meanwhile, cook the penne according to package directions. Drain and place in a serving bowl. Add the chicken mixture; toss to combine. Serve, sprinkled with the cheese.


Per serving: 383 calories; 5 g fat; 6 g fiber (more with Ronzoni pasta); 24 g protein



You may wonder why I am including points if I am doing more of a Filling Foods approach. I know that there are some folks out there counting points and I'd like to help out as much as possible. :) I haven't gone back to counting points yet.

Dessert: Clean Eating Ice Cream SandwichI found out that my favorite chicken, Scooter of Sims Bayou Nature Center, has a blog! Way to go, Scooter!


And now, for a smile, check out this girl's face on the roller coaster. LOL!!!! I know. It's pretty random but we could all use a smile from time to time. :)

Exercise: Wii Outdoor Challenge & EA Sports Active & cleaning house

18 comments:

  1. Every chicken deserves a blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool - you put the donut down....that's very good!

    Still eating chia seeds - I put a link to your blog about them and can't thank you enough for telling us all about them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this about picking a good watermelon: http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Pick_a_Good_Watermelon

    Hope it helps! That watermelon lemonade looks delicious. And those chocolate rocks do look cool :D

    I saw those ice cream sandwiches in clean eating magazine, and thought they looked delicious. Yours looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a night of "Anne's" in the comment section!
    Could you tell us where you got the chocolate rocks! They would be a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always told to thump the watermelon...if it sounds hollow it's a good one...So far, So good with this for me...I've been pretty good picking

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a brilliant juicer! Of course the best juicers are the ones we use regularly... Mine is in the cupboard now, because I don't have adequate counter space. That's such a waste, because of course I don't use it often enough.

    That watermelon juice looks delicious. You could always juice a few sprigs of mint with it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm most enamored with the bottle of wine! I'm always looking for a good, inexpensive red. All the other stuff looks very good and healthy, too.

    I've seen chocolate rocks like that in cake decorating specialty stores (one of my old vices). Are they now more widely available? Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job avoiding the cupcake, Cupcake. It's good to be back on the wagon.
    Dinner was excellent last night. Put that one down on the list of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tricia, I agree. His blog is actually kind of funny.

    Anne H, Glad you are enjoying those seeds. I do too. They keep me full. And I got the rocks at a Candy Bouquet shop in town. BUt I googled and you can buy them online.

    Angie, I thumped all of these. I guess my thumper is broke. I'm not giving up yet. :)

    Roxie, do look for Liberty School. It's usually located with the finer wines but the price is much lower. Of course one of my favorites is still Cakebread. I have a bottle put aside for when I hit goal. :)

    Anne, thanks for the link! I'm going to read it and give it a try. Oh, and the ice cream sandwiches are terrific. Love em.

    Hanlie, I love my juicer but I haven't used it in a while. I researched forever before finally deciding on this one.

    Chuck, glad you liked dinner. I thought it was pretty terrific too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely be on the lookout for that wine too.

    Way to go with winning the cupcake battle!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not as terrific as the chef!
    My compliments to the chef (amongst other things).

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, enough Chuck. remember that line we talked about not crossing? :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Few things:

    The beans and rice look delish, as does the watermelon lemonade.

    I've been having bad luck with ALL melons at the store--cantalope, honeydew, etc. Even when they look ripe, I open them up and they taste like ass. Same thing happened a few months ago when strawberries were in season. I got them from everywhere, and they all tasted bleh.

    Is that a california cab???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Camevil,
    From what I understand, Liberty School was a knock off label of Caymus. You could get a great wine for small $$. Today it's not part of Caymus (at least from what I've read) but is still a good wine at around $10-15 per bottle. It is a Cali Cab. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The beans and rice ole looks great - I'll have to try it!

    I suck at watermelon choosing - I've resorted to buying 1/4 melon at my HEB (for $1.16 - love that price) - at least that way I can see if the flesh is deep pink vs. pale, icky pink.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Liberty School web site: http://libertyschoolwinery.com/home.php

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shelley, I guess I will have to start doing that too. :( Our HEB has a fruit bar so maybe I can taste before I buy. It seems like a sin to go through a summer without a good watermelong. For a while I was getting some kick ass honeydew but those are gone too. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Knock on the watermelon if it sounds hollow it's a good one. It should be heavy for it's size too:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)