Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chicken Mummification; Chicken Enchilada Casserole (5 pts)

My apologies for being the most inconsistent blogger lately. Between trying to exercise, keep the house in shape and doing school with the kids....it can get more than a little overwhelming. The blog suffers. I'll try to do better.

We are studying about ancient Egypt right now. Rachel LOVES this time period and knows more than most about the Egyptian gods/goddesses and culture. It's something that has always fascinated her. So a lot of times she is teaching ME about history instead of vice versa. Charlie.....he's just along for the ride. I'm doing my best to spark an interest in something for him.


Our project for Tuesday was to begin the mummification process for a chicken that was named Pharaoh Cluxor or Clucksor. The spelling is debatable at this point among scholars.

You have to wash out the chicken with water and then with rubbing alcohol and then dry it thoroughly. Charlie was talking about becoming a vegetarian after this which I thought was hilarious.
We also made our own natron mixture. It had all of the elements of the natron that the Egyptians used except for one: sodium sulfate. I also added spices to give it a better smell than mummifying chicken. After all, you don't refrigerate this thing.

Guess how long this process is going to take! 6 weeks!! That's commitment, my friend.

Lunch: maple turkey, pesto, roasted red peppers & mozzarella on whole wheat bread; baked chips; watermelon The sandwich was the best! Such a good combination.
Took Rachel to her cake decorating class. She was stressing because her first cake didn't come out how she wanted. But I think she did pretty good. She's never made a 2-layer cake and homemade frosting before.

Dinner: Chicken Enchilada Casserole; salad; slice of bread I really enjoyed this recipe.
After dinner I had a slice of Rachel's cake. I did take off the icing because she had to use an entire small can of Crisco to make it. That's a lot!!
It wasn't any one's birthday. She just wanted to practice writing with icing.
No exercise today but I still almost met my calorie burn goal because we were so busy.

12 comments:

  1. Chicken mummification?? You are the coolest mom!!

    I am digging your sammie - great flavors!

    I think Rachel's cake looks terrific! I can't frost a cake, if my life depended on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Marisa! You really are the coolest Mom. Youre kids are always doing so many fun educational adventures :)

    Rachesl cake=YUMMO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE the coolest mom. Mummified chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mummified chicken? Man, wish my school did that when I was a kid. So, what does one do with a mummified chicken? Eat it? *shudders*

    Those dishes look amazingly yummy. That's why I like making my own food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will second the Mom of the Year vote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmm, it can be my birthday if I can have a slice of cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the comments about your chicken mummy. We did that our first year of homeschool and it stunk! Our poor chicken resided in the garage. I didn't think to add good-smelling spices.

    Don't you love it when the kids can teach you? That's where we are with science--my son is so far ahead of me. Good thing his dad is a science geek and going to supervise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will third that Mom of the Year proposal! Chicken mummification is pretty impressive. That cake is really pretty--Rachel did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maple turkey sounds REALLY GOOD. Do you buy that in the deli at the grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dawn, it was from the deli and it was Boar Head brand. VERY good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mummifying a chicken? I'm definitely homeschooling!

    I've never actually frosted a cake, because I don't bake... which is fine, because then I also don't eat the cake!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)