Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wheat Berry Salad with Goat Cheese Recipe

I really wanted some cereal for breakfast. Nothing fancy. Just some cereal. :)

Breakfast: Grape Nuts & blueberries & milk & stevia
Lunch: Wheat Berry Salad with Goat Cheese (I added some boiled egg on top) & some All Bran crackers Wheat Berry Salad with Goat Cheese
from Cooking Light Magazine July 2009

1 1/4 cups wheat berries
2 1/2 cups chopped English cucumber (I just used regular organic)
2/3 cups sliced green onions
1 1/2 cups loosely packed chopped arugula (I used a mix of spinach & arugula)
6 Tbs. minced fresh flat leaf parsley
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved (I skipped the tomatoes)
1 Tbs grated lemon rind
3 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp sugar (I used some agave)
2 Tbs. olive oil
3/4 cup (3 oz) crumbled goat cheese

Place wheat berries in a medium bowl; cover with water to 2" above wheat berries. Cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain. (I soaked them overnight)

Place wheat berries in a medium saucepan; cover with water to 2" above wheat berries. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cook, uncovered, 1 hour or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well. Place wheat berries in a large bowl; add cucumber and next 4 ingredients (through tomatoes).

Combine rind and next 4 ingredients (through sugar) in a bowl; gradually add oil, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle dressing over salad; toss well to coat. Stir in cheese. (I suggest stirring in the cheese just before serving. mine kind of dissolved) Let stand at least 30 minutes; serve at room temperature.
Yield 6 servings (1 1/3 cups each)
Calories 253; Protein 9.2g; fiber 6.8g; carbs 35.7g

Snack: Amazing Grass bar I wish I could say that I love these but they're just ok. Their drink mixes are a lot better.
Dinner: went out to Spring Creek BBQ and had smoked turkey breast, mac n cheese, fries and 2 rolls don't judge me :(
I have been so hungry and lethargic today. I had planned on going for a nice, long walk this evening but I'd rather just go to bed. The dinner didn't help.
.
Just so you know, I will be selling the activity points I earn this weekend. I'll earn as many as you need. LOL Does that work? Thought I'd try. :)
.
Seriously, I have another busy weekend planned with the family as we try to finish more of our nature challenge missions.
.
Last, but not least, I have a new blog where I am "storing" all of my recipes. Blogger seems to think it's a spam blog so they have it on hold right now. I'll give you the link as soon as it's up. :)
.
Friday Goals:
  • exercise in the morning
  • eat healthy ALL DAY
  • finish at least 2 missions
When you go out do you order whatever you like or try to eat healthy?

10 comments:

  1. We only go out to eat about 2 or 3 times a month. Depending on what it is I splurge. I splurge on Chinese food and get the deep fried stuff that I love, but I only eat about a cup of it so it's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wheatberry salad looks so good, I want to rub it over my body.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the recipe blog!! Sleep well Kelly Girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another photo session blog - your food always looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wheatberry salad looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    When I go out to eat, I try to eat healthy. I always feel better when I put quality food in my body. That's also the food I prefer. With that said, if it's a special occasion and I want a certain meal or a dessert that's not "healthy," I'll go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your food looks so good!

    While we rarely go out, when we do, it's usually someplace pretty nice. So sometimes I'll pick a great dessert to split. But mostly, it's healthy. I do fine with eating healthfully when I'm out - it's the junk at home that sometimes sinks me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love reading your comments about eating out. My toughest times are when out, not at home, because I don't buy a lot of junk food anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not tried wheatberries but that looks yummy. And I love goat cheese.

    When we go out, I order what I want for my main course but try to order sides that aren't too awful (salad, veggies instead of fries). I think we all need splurges because life is for living and enjoying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Wheat Berry Salad looks good. I had wheat berry for the first time a while back and I LOVE them. I guess I must have missed this recipe in the magazine or just forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me!!
    I would love to correspond thru email if you would like!!

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathi, SURE! Send me an email at das.schus@sbcglobal.net :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)