Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Case of the Missing Blogger

What happens when a blogger is busy from waking hours until it's time for bed? She doesn't blog!

I had wanted to share some recipes as I tried new ones but I just haven't had much success with the new ones. Sorry. :( Lately we've been having quick things like tacos and spaghetti. I've just been a busy mom and don't have much time for grand culinary creations. Perhaps I should get up earlier? Nah.

Rachel, on the other hand, made a beautiful chocolate cake. She's killing me! Lately I've only been maintaining instead of losing weight.
A few of the things we've been doing around the Happy Texan household:

  • visit Sea Center Texas. It's FREE and has several aquariums plus a touch tank. It's a hatchery for redfish run by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

Here are some critters in the touch tank: stone crab and blue crab. There are also fish and anemones. Seems funny to have crabs in a "touch tank" but these have a portion of the claw removed so they can't get you. Gordon the resident grouper died last summer. We had no idea. :(

They have a new grouper who enjoyed checking us out as much as we enjoyed watching him. We took the "grand tour" of the facilities. Our guide, bless her heart, was clueless and juvenile. I was kind of embarrassed for her.

It was cool to see the redfish in a huge outdoor pond. We got to feed them some pelleted food and they seemed to enjoy it. I imagined them covered in some crab and butter sauce. Maybe blackened.* Visit San Bernard National Wildlife Refuge and Brazoria National Wildlife Refuge.

The usual ponds were dried up! We need some rain desperately. We did get to see a pair of crested caracaras (also known as Mexican Eagle). These are usually carrion feeders and it didn't take us long to find out why. There were dead gar everywhere because the water was dried up. Also got to see this cute Black Necked Stilt even though wildlife was scarce due to the heat and drought. On the home front, the kids have been busy with school work. I was so bad last year. Very inconsistent and we didn't get as much done as I would have liked. I'm trying to make up for it now.

One of the fun science projects was dissecting an owl pellet. Owls and other raptors (and even crows) puke up undigested fur, bones and other bits of their prey. And some smart fellow decided to sell the pellets to people and schools to rummage through. I happen to be one of those people who enjoys weird things like that. :)

Incredibly, the kids loved the pellets! They want to know if we can order some more and do it again.

Here Charlie and Rachel go through the fur looking for bones. Yes, that is my kitchen scale on the table. We had to weigh the pellets, after all! In case you are wondering, they are about 7 grams each. And they have been heated to kill any bacteria. :)

Rachel found 3 rodent skulls in hers!
Future adventures that are planned are:

  • Homeschool Day at Sea World
  • Attend lectures by Eugenie Scott at the museum
  • Several classes for the kids at the Houston Museum of Natural Science
  • start exercising at least 2 days per week at the Y and the rest of the week at home
  • a special field research field trip to the Texas City Prairie Preserve
  • a fall canoe/camping trip down Village Creek in the Big Thicket Preserve
  • possible archaeological excavations around Houston area
I also hope to find at least a few recipes that are worthy of sharing with you. The search continues.

23 comments:

  1. My kids did those owl pellets too - they found them gross but interesting.

    I know you're busy, Kelly, but I miss your posts and hope to see you around more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake is gorgeous!!!

    I know exactly why you haven't been blogging, and the time it takes to do what you're doing.

    I'm with Shelley, I really miss your posts. Yet, I do understand because I'm a homeschool mom, too.

    I wish we lived in a big city to have the opportunities you did. Everything we do costs a lot of money because we have to drive and drive to get there.

    I would have a difficult time maintaining with a daughter that baked such wonderful cakes! Kudos on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's still good to see you when we can, you busy lady! Always happy to see your name pop up on my reader :)

    Looks like the kids are having lots of fun learning, that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmm.....cake. Me like cake.

    OK, so I'm totally feeling your pain when it comes to being too busy to blog & cook. I would also like to add that I'm too busy to blink, cry, laugh, breathe, watch TV (not that there's any good shows on these days), ride roller coasters, sew, mow the grass, and poop without someone pounding on the bathroom door to get my attention! I'm so tired. Mainly, I'm tired of summer. I'm ready to get back into my own routine. Will that ever happen, though? I'm starting to think....no. lol

    We'll get our groove back, K. We will. Recipes, cooking videos, life & all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you have been so busy! Your daughter is a fantastic cake artist! Missed you on here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so busy I don't se how you ever have time to post.

    I store subjects as drafts and develop them later. I also schedule them. Everyday posting would burn me out in a hurry.

    I have been going out of town so much I am happy to be maintaining.

    Can't wait till winter. I do very much better on diet, even with Thanksgiving and Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see you, Kelly!! I was just wondering about you today! I was hoping you didn't catch my superfunk!

    I know what it's like being a busy mom and trying to blog; summers are hard since we are so concentrated on the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Kelly. We've missed you around here. Hope you and the family are doing well and that you've got a handle on things the best you can.

    Don't worry about explaining away your lack of blogging of late; Life just gets in the way sometimes.

    Just pop in from time to time and let us know all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool! We did the owl pellets when I taught middle school. It was really cool! Glad you are keeping busy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter did the owl pellet thing in a science co-op and reconstructed a rat skeleton from it. Very cool.

    Once again, a very pretty cake!
    Path to Health

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life does get in the way of blogging.... you and your family are way more important! The cake looks delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your activities with your kids sound like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My wife and I live here in Ft Worth and have been to the Dallas Aquarium several times... We love aquariums and have sooooo many photos from our visits! The Dallas aquarium also has a really cool "Sloth" (Kinda weird for an aquarium but very cute!)

    P.S. I found your blog on the BloggersChoiceAwards website and think it is great! I voted for you, I write for the Our Everyday Earth - Green Blog and wondered if you would vote for us in the best Education blog category;

    http://bloggerschoiceawards.com/blogs/show/78212

    Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We missed you Kelly! Glad you are finding time to blog and update on your happenings :)

    Woah I remember doing the owl pellets as a kid.. somehow I was always nervous that I'd be breathing in/eating the hair unconsciously hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cake is beautiful but I can't say the same for the grouper.

    However beauty in a beast is not everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Youre a busy momma, so it's understandable. At least youre maintaining. I've been GAINING, it's been bad. I'm back though!

    I do miss your posts, hopefully things will settle down soon for ya!

    (Is that your WW scale your using for the owl pellet experiment??)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It appears you are still missing. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. There is something to say about "maintaining" while you are so busy you can't breath. So at least you have accomplished that during this time - so I congratulate you on that.

    Once things "calm down" a bit (they always do when we least expect it) you will be back on the cooking and posting and losing again.

    We look forward to your sharing these parts of your life with us again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didnt want you to be rutheless to the cookies...so here's the comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kelly.....where are you???? Miss reading your posts, but I imagine you're slammed with school stuff right about now. Check in so we know you're alive and kickin'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Kelly - just checking in - hope you're doing ok!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just checking in to say I hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)