Friday, December 4, 2009

Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (4 for 2 pts); Chili Con Carne (4 pts); Healthy Indian Food Recipes

As I've posted earlier, it SNOWED today. Woohoo! I'm glad it snowed but I'm also glad that things should be back to "normal" by tomorrow.

Breakfast: Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies (all 4 for 2 pts) These are really terrific for breakfast on the go. Follow the link for the recipe. Just bake them until they are as crisp as you like. Also had some strawberries (1 pt)
More snow then lunch. I had made this up yesterday so I could have something for lunches besides wraps and sandwiches. And it was so goooooood. This is a great chili recipe. Try it. Be warned: the heat of the salsa will determine the heat of the chili. My chili was H-O-T.
.
I'm somewhat of a chili snob. In Texas, real chili does not contain beans. Or turkey, for that matter. Chuck gave me a good ribbing about this recipe but when you're trying to shrink the waistline you have to make some changes. :)
.
Lunch: Chili Con Carne (4 pts) with 3/4 cup brown rice (2 pts) Perfect for a cold winter day. This recipe gives you a LOT for the points. 1 1/3 cups of chili for those 4 pts. Not bad.
I used this rice in the chili. It was so easy! Just pop it in the microwave for 4 minutes and you have brown rice.
I really didn't want to exercise today but I did it. Chuck was my workout buddy today on the Bowflex. Having someone to exercise with makes it a lot nicer. I have a feeling that I am going to be sore tomorrow. lol But that's good. I want that Bowflex body, darn it!
.
Tonight I had a craving for some Indian food, but healthy. Let me just say that it turned out perfect. The blend of spices. The smell. Ohhhh, it was heavenly. Even the kids liked it and the house smelled so good. Please do try these recipes. Especially the kebabs. mmmmmmm
.
Dinner: Seek Kebab (3 pts); cucumber raita (1 pt for 1/4 cup) (the yogurt dip); saag
aloo (4 pts) (the spinach mixture); lentil curry (2 pts)
Delicious! Follow the links for the recipes.
The lentil curry was actually something from a box that I found at the grocery store. Just microwave the pouch for 2 minutes and it's done. You would not believe the flavor. I wasn't expecting much. I mean, it came in a box. I'll be getting this again.
If you do want to make the seek kebab but have trouble finding the garam masala seasoning, here is a link to a very easy recipe that should give you good results. If you're interested in the cucumber/yogurt recipe just email me and I'll send it to you. I think the tzaziki recipe I have would be a terrific sub. Just follow the link and scroll down.

Dessert: Cream Cheese Baklava Cups (1 pt each)
I stopped myself at two. Chuck did not. ;-)
By the way, the empty phyllo shells aare low in points. You can have 2 for 0 points. So if you come up with any other filling ideas let me know. They're super easy to work with and store well.
.
As you can see, I had a busy day of cooking and exercising. Tonight I feel like a bottomless pit. I wonder if it's because I started exercising regularly again. I'm going to resist the urge to go in the kitchen to clean out those little baklavas. :)

3 comments:

  1. oh, i can't wait to try those oatmeal cookies, how easy!!

    and boy does that chili look good!!! good job on working on when you didn't want to...i think we all have days like that, but happy when we're done with the workout!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made chili last night - all that snow must have been a state-wide trigger! Ours was just ok, so we are going to tweak the recipe a bit - think I will borrow some of your ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Received POMx in mail yesterday and put in fridge. I'll have to drink sparingly. The caffeine burst is probably not a good thing for my b.p.-maybe 1/2 bottle at time. I figured each btl is 3 pts.

    I like coffee, so suspect these will be a pleasant surprise.

    I know the snow is a surprise for y'all especially as far south as it has gone. The front is completely missing Arkansas but the most southern tier or states east of Texas are in for a rare treat.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)