Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Biggest Loser for a Day

I'm sure you've heard of The Biggest Loser which comes on tonight. I know. I know. Some folks can't stand the show saying that's not realistic to lose 13 pounds in a week or they just don't like the gaming aspect of the show. I don't like the game part but that show has motivated me time and again to keep moving forward....even after I've slipped backwards. It was the motivation that made me look at myself at 250 pounds and decide enough is enough. I look at those people doing things that us larger gals aren't supposed to be able to do and I think, "If they can do it then so can I!" It empowers me. So don't be a hater. ;-)

And Tara is still my homegirl. I'd love to meet her. She can do anything she tries! Remember her?

(Abby pictured below)

I recently read a blog of someone who got to meet Abby and Shay from last season's Biggest Loser. She asked them about their calories while on the show. Both of the ladies said they ate 1200 calories per day and had to burn 5000 calories (for Abby) and 6500 calories (for Shay) per day! That's how they get those great numbers! They also work out 4-6 hours per day. Yikes!

My calorie burn target per day is 2750 which is very reasonable but sometimes difficult for me to reach. A couple of times last week I got into the 3000s.

I've always wondered what it would be like on the Biggest Loser. I've wondered if I would survive. I know Jillian would be perched on a treadmill ready to pounce on me like prey and yelling.....which I'd probably find funny. It always cracks me up when she starts yelling. She would hate me. I've seen the contestants crying from exhaustion and throwing up on their first workout.

I think I'm ready to bring the pain. I want to know what it feels like for one day to burn 5000 calories. I already eat about 1250 calories per day. I just want to know....just one day. I'll have to plan in advance because that will definitely be a "me" day. It'll take time to get that kind of burn. You can be certain that I'll let you know as soon as I do it. I'm sure it'll be soon.

Monday I had to brave the grocery store on MLK Day. All of the kids were home from school and folks were home from work. I guess they all decided to go grocery shopping at once while I was there. It was pure madness.

I did my 10 minute strength training on SP and a bonus challenge video of pilates for the lower body. I could feel the burn in my bum. It is so sore today. Glad to share that with you. :)

Then I did my Week 1 day 3 of C25K. For some reason my legs felt very heavy. I felt like a T-Rex from Land of the Lost running. *boom* *boom* *boom* with each step. With the walk/run combo I got in 2 miles in 30 minutes. I'm wondering if running ever gets easier. Each 60 second jog was tough. I don't get it. Shouldn't I be improving a little?

My goal is to be able to run a mile. I actually have dreams that I'm running that mile and I'm not winded at all. Another goal is to run a 5k with Shelley in March. It'll be great to meet her. Things are going to have to pick up the pace around here if I am to reach either goal!

For fun, here is a picture of me coming up to the finish line of my first 5k in the summer of 2007 when I was 230 pounds. I thought I was going to die. A policeman asked me if I wanted a ride even though I wasn't the last person in the race. I must have looked pretty bad. LOL But I did it and I got a tee shirt and a popsicle. :) I still have that number tag.
After running I did 30 minutes of Just Dance on the Wii. A fun way to boost that calorie burn!

I'm always looking for the 4% fat ground beef but I have trouble finding it. It used to not be a problem! Well look what I found: 2% fat ground beef! It only has 120 calories per 4 oz and 2g of fat. That's practically like having chicken! I used it to make spaghetti last night. Paired it with a big salad and a piece of New York Texas Garlic Toast Lite. That garlic toast melts in your mouth and is sooooo good.

Forgot to mention: found the ground beef at Randall's (a Houston area grocery store). For dessert, I made Hungry Girl's Red Hot Apple Pie in a Cup (2 pts; 140 cals).

That is a big soup bowl. You get a very large portion and the taste is terrific. Love it! Even Rachel and Chuck cleaned theirs. Charlie didn't want one. I'll definitely be making these again. They're super easy too.
.
1 med. Fuji apple, cored and cubed
15 red hot candies
1/2 sheet (2 crackers) low fat cinnamon graham crackers
2 Tbs fat free reddi-whip
dash of cinnamon
.
Place apple in a microwaveable cup or mug or bowl. Top with red hots. Cover and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir well. Microwave an additional 1-2 minutes until the apples are soft.
.
Once cup is cool enough to handle, mix contents well. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
.
Top with 1 of the crushed graham crackers followed by Reddi whip. Sprinkle remaining crumbs of crushed graham cracker on top then a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!
Oh, and it's good.
.
1 serving (140 cals; .5g fat; 44mg sodium; 47g carbs; 3.5g fiber; 24.5g sugars; .5g protein) 2 pts
..............................................................................
Calorie Burn: 2971
Calorie Intake: 1408
Deficit: 1563

6 comments:

  1. hey girl - I'm still workin on the C25K too - I actually did week 1 for 2 weeks. It does get easier.

    I'm excited to hear more on this race you and Shelley are doing. What race is it? Maybe I could head that way too!

    I was training to do the Cowtown 5k - but my hip got to hurting so I had to stop running for awhile. I'm slow - but I enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angie - it's the Armadillo Dash on March 7th in College Station...it would be great if you could join us - the more bloggers, the merrier!

    Kelly, the running is going for me, but I'm surprised that my legs are so sore afterward! Knowing that we are working toward the same goal is really helping to push me to go for a run on the weekends when I don't normally workout (except for a bike ride).

    I'm intrigued by your Biggest Loser For A Day - that will be intense!!! Be sure to have epsom salts and your personal masseuse on hand for afterward, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stick with it Kelly...running does get easier!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    And I can't wait to hear about your day when you work out like a BL!!! I've thought about trying to do that...like once a month or something! We'll see tho...obviously it would be easier for me since I don't have any of those kiddos around (yet!).

    How awesome on the ground beef find! Oh and we used to have Randalls here in Iowa...when I was like 5!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo that dessert recipe sounds really good!

    My mom used to make red hot applesauce by melting red hots in unsweetened applesauce on the stove!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Biggest Loser for a day, what a fabulous idea! Youre right, that day is going to have to be all about you for sure!

    I hope you keep blogging about how the C25K training is going, I love hearing about it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)