Saturday, January 23, 2010

Old Eating Habits Hurt Now!

Yesterday was gorgeous here in the Houston area. The temp was near 80. The sun was bright and shiny. The sky was blue without a cloud.

I did my BootCamp video then hopped on the treadmill for the C25K Week2Day2 walk/run session. It was easier than the first time I did it. Yeah, I still felt like giving up a couple of times but I didn't. After sweating all over the place I did my Shake Weight workout for the arms. That thing cracks me up but I do feel a burn in the arms if I shake it long enough. (no comments, please. LOL)

Breakfast: oatmeal with a banana and a SF Rock Star (Rock on, Houston!)

Lunch: homemade tomato soup and cheese toast mmmmmm Ultimate comfort food

Then it was time to take the kids to their 4H meeting. Rachel is in the Vet Tech Science program. I have to find a vet who will take her as a volunteer so she can watch and learn. Any one know a willing vet in the Houston area?

After the meeting, it was time for dinner. I was so hungry. I had a No Pudge brownie as a quick snack.

Once a week we go out to eat. At that meal I have whatever I want and don't count a thing. Some people call it a cheat meal. I just call it living. I never feel deprived that way. I never have to think, "Gosh, I'll never be able to have X again because I'm changing how I eat forever." It has worked for me.

Tonight we went to T-Bone Tom's in Kemah. It was featured on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives on TV. Just for kicks I decided to order whatever I wanted but count the calories.

First we shared some fried pickles with Ranch. I had a few. Then I had the chicken fried steak finger basket. It had the steak fingers, steak fries, cream gravy and Texas toast. I had the toast, 3.5 fingers and some fries. To be on the safe side, I counted it as if I had eaten an entire chicken fried steak meal from Chili's.

After the meal, we all started feeling heavy and bloated. Guess our bodies have adapted to eating healthier foods. It wasn't food poisoning or anything like that. It was just a greasy, salty meal. It doesn't even sound good now. If I had it to do over, I would have ordered something else. Something a little healthier? Gasp!!

Perhaps my tastes are changing. My body sure is! When I woke up this morning (Saturday) it felt like I had a hangover. Can you even have a food hangover?

I don't feel guilty about going out. That's just something we do. But I did learn a lesson. :)

After our tummies settled a little last night, we had a family Wii tennis tournament. Chuck won. Then we had a Just Dance dancing tournament. OMG, that was hilarious!!! Rachel won! Then we all watched a movie together. A very nice evening.

This morning I got on the wicked scale just to read my fortune and it said +3 pounds. Now, I know that's just from the greasy, sodium-filled meal. It'll drop back down. But it is a good reminder.


Calories Burned: 2558

Calorie intake estimate: 2662

Calorie SURPLUS: +104 (I'll work it off)

I found my old weight loss journal from when I weighed 250. Wow. I didn't realize how far I've come. I'll share some quotes from it tomorrow.

Have a great Saturday!

8 comments:

  1. I know all too well how you felt after that meal. My "cheat meals" as so different now too...I'm too scared of feeling sick to eat anything fried. All the wii sports sound so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean...a couple of years ago I could have eaten exactly what you ate (well, without the fried pickles...that is just a strange Texas thing that I can't do) and felt fine. Now I would feel like you did and I blame all that darn healthy food I've been eating! My body is too used to decent food to allow me to really enjoy eating what used to be some of my favorite foods!

    Sounds like a nice evening anyway - love your dance contests!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean when you say you had a food hangover. I've said the exact same thing after waking up the next morning after a big, greasy meal. UGH! It always reminds me why I am making healthy changes. Our bodies really do change and it's nice to know that we really won't miss those foods we thought we could never live without when we first began.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had those food hangovers. I'd like to say that I learn my lesson but sometimes those meals just look so good ;)

    I like you idea of calling it living. Allowing ourselves a bit of reality keeps the diet boredom away. We just need to stay away from any place listed on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives - for sure, lol.

    Family Wii stuff - priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome that you are enjoying better foods! I'm totally feeling carb sick if I eat too much proccessed carbs so I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had a very nice evening! I just played Wii with DH. It's nice when he joins in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to that pizza you just put in the oven. It smells DELICIOUS! Especially after all day on my feet.

    My dogs are barkin'!

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely think you can have food hangovers! I know now when I have a big blow-out dinner, I feel completely hungover the next day, headache, nausea, the whole shebang. And I find, too, that it does make me want it less the next time... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)