Monday, February 8, 2010

Crockpot Beef Stew Recipe & Daily Stuff

Today we actually stayed home! Seems like we go somewhere every single day. It was nice just to hang out, wash some clothes, clean the shower and work out.

While Chuck cooked breakfast, I finished up my C25K Week 3. That last 3 minute run was tough on me. Scares me a little about week 4. I'll be doing that on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes if I survive. :)

Breakfast: 2 egg whites, 2% cheese, 2 center cut bacon on multigrain muffin with hot sauce. And a SF Rock Star. :) Nice filling breakfast. (Thanks, Chuck!)
After letting breakfast settle for a while, Chuck and I did The Shred Level 1. Poor guy was sore from the first time he shredded. But we both made it through ok. Still working on those pushups. Surely they get easier someday.

Time for an after workout protein fix: Chobani strawberry yogurt. This was my first time to try Chobani and I loved it! So creamy and terrific. And 14g of protein. Wow.
Time to drink large quantities of water and cool off. Then lunch: tuna salad on greens with reduced fat feta cheese, light Caesar dressing and 4 multigrain crackers.
Rachel baked some cookie dough from Immaculate Baking Co. How can I resist a fresh cookie? They make the entire house smell edible.
Snack: 1 perfect cookie 80 calories or 2 pts
Cleaned the shower, washed clothes, and watched way too much Ghost Hunters.
.
Dinner: Crockpot Beef Stew with Grands Reduced Fat Buttermilk Biscuit Such perfect comfort food and the taste of the stew is superb. Really. All bowls were cleaned. :)
Crockpot Beef Stew (5 pts)
.
1 1/2 lb Beef Lean Diced
2 c onions (I used onion powder and dried minced onions)
2 c carrots
2 c celery
2 md potatoes,(2 Cups), Cubed
1 t Garlic Cloves,Minced
2 T Tapioca,Minute (found in the pudding mix section of grocery store)
3 c tomato juice
2 dash Tabasco (of course I use more)
.
Cube your beef and cut up all your veggies into large bite-sized pieces. Dump it all in a crock pot, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper (not too much because it can get super spicy!), sprinkle in tapioca, cover with tomato juice, and stir. Cook on low all day: 8-9hours.
Yield: 6 servings; 5 pts per serving
Per serving: Calories 258.7; Fat 4.6g; Carbs 24.6g; Fiber 4g; Protein 28.7g
.
.
The Grands biscuits are 160 calories each or 4 pts.
.
After dinner I read from New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm kind of confused: he says that you should not cut your calories when weight lifting. In other words, all of the dieting advice is wrong in all of the other books? I thought you needed a calorie deficit to lose weight?! But he's saying your body needs the calories in protein to build the muscles you tear down and the new muscle will boost your metabolism so that you burn more calories. He says that cutting calories will make you lose muscle and bone mass. I'm so confused! I've cut calories and doing mild strength training through the Shred and I'm losing weight. Am I doing it wrong?! Ugh. Are they saying that I need to take in as many calories as I burn?!
.
After some confusing reading I slipped off into a nice coma and dreamed I was going on a cruise. I think it's because I've been drooling over pictures of Lori's cruise. :)
.
Calories Burned: 2492
Calorie Intake: 1279
Deficit: -1213

8 comments:

  1. I am addicted to Chobani! Now, the husband is, too. Think they put something in there ??? Seriously, we walk around chanting "must.have.Chobani." :D

    Chuck makes a kick butt egg sammie!

    Alright, I'm bookmarking your beef stew cuz it looks great and you sold me with the biscuits! I think the husband may be happy about this Crocker meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marisa, just cook the stew until the meat falls apart with the back of a spoon. So good! And yes, I'm so hooked on Chobani. It's smooth and perfect. Love it. :) I've been watching you eat it for so long and finally gave in and tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I need a vacation that doesn't involve me daydreaming about somebody else's vacation, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thats a great calorie deficit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a little confused about the whole calories/muscle/protein thing as well - I read something about it on Tammy's blog (From Fat to Fab) - her trainer said something similar. Hmmm, I will have to ask Brad about this tomorrow.

    Your eats looked yummy! And I'm impressed at how far you've come on the running! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. days at home are SO nice!!

    interesting info on the lifting info you posted...hadn't heard it before. confusing to say the least!!

    oh and that cookie is making me drool this VERY minute. reminds me of a subway cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stew looks so good!

    Great job on your workouts! I'll be interested on hearing how your week 4 goes for you! I've been doing week 3 for a while now.

    I have a similar salad quite a bit! Only differences, I use a few pecans and balsamic dresing instead. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also think they put some addictive ingedient in the Chobani!
    Must have it every day. Stew looks great, think that sounds like a great Sunday dinner!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)