Saturday, February 20, 2010

Greetings From San Antonio

Today's post comes to you from the historical Menger Hotel of San Antonio.
Several presidents and movie stars have stayed at this beautiful place. Teddy Roosevelt recruited his Rough Riders at the bar of this hotel. Robert E Lee rode his horse right into the lobby. The founder of the King Ranch died here. From the web site: " It is the Menger that has housed personalities such as Theodore Roosevelt (pictured), Sidney Lanier, Babe Ruth, Mae West, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant, Sarah Bernhardt, and Gutzon Borglum, just to name a few."
It is also supposed to be haunted!
.
Friday started at home with a BIG sandwich of eggbeaters, bacon bits and cheese on toast with a Rock Star.
After running quite a few errands we stopped at Gringo's. I had 1 chalupa (out of the 3 shown) with beans and fajita beef. Also had about an ounce of queso and some chips.
On the road to San Antonio we stopped at Bucees in Luling off of I-10. It's just something we do. :) We always get a big box of fudge, cappuccino and Beaver Nuggets. This time, however, I got a York Peppermint pattie (140 calories) and a SF Red Bull. I was getting tired and needed a pick-me-up.
.
Finally arrive at the gorgeous hotel and checked in. We were so hungry by this time so we headed over to Lulu's. This is the place featured on Man Vs Food with the giant cinnamon rolls (3 pounds!) and giant chicken fried steaks. Chuck and I decided to split the chicken fried steak but it was still the craziest sized portion I've ever soon. That's Rachel's hand in the picture to give you an idea of how large this thing was.
I did not even come close to finishing my portion. I had about 5 fries, a few pieces of okra, most of my roll and a bite of mashed potatoes. I was stupid full.
Toured the hotel a little after we got back and then I got ready for bed. That greasy food was doing a number on my belly.
.
I crawled into bed then the kids wanted to go see the Alamo at night. It's right next door so Chuck to them and I stayed in the room and had a nightcap: 2 oz of sweet tea vodka.
While at the Alamo, a night guard gave Charlie a little history lesson which was very cool!
The kids in front of the Alamo.
It was a great day and we all slept hard. Caloriewise I about broke even. I may have been over about 100 calories or so. I tried to estimate it high to make sure I was covered.
.
Saturday is a busy day of touring San Antonio. Hope you all have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. The Alamo looks so pretty at night - glad your kids got to see it that way. Have a wonderful time today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you NEED to go eat at Guenther House omg that place for breakfast is the bomb. our oldest goes to UTSA so we eat there when we can James does business in SA so we always try to go with him :) love the place so much to see and do
    hope you have a blast

    ReplyDelete
  3. We ate at this tex-mex restaurant at the market that was the best food we have ever eaten- you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible the things that happen to a person when they start to drink Rock Star.
    Very cool that you are there and get to do such fun things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like a fun time!! i cannot believe how big that chicken fried steak is...WOW!!!

    oh and i read your post about your fears....girl you are AWESOME!! conquering 3 in just a day...amazing!! PS congrats on finishing your run, you're doing SO great!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, how gorgeous that hotel is! So jealous!

    I also saw that episode of Man vs Food. How awesome you got to go there. Yikes! That's one large piece of chicken fried steak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great pics
    have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great time!

    I miss Bucees. That place is so cool. I've only been a couple times when we went to visit my brother's ex-girlfriend in Wharton. We're from Dallas and don't have one :(. It's the best road trip stop ever!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)