Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Push It! Push It Real Good!

Salt and Pepa's here, and we're in effect
Want you to push it, babe
Coolin' by day then at night working up a sweat
C'mon girls, let's go show the guys that we know
How to become number one in a hot party show
Now push it
.
ahhhh, the eloquent words of Salt n' Pepa. Bad grammar. Bad spelling. Unfortunately it was the song that kept coming to mind as I was pushing my body beyond its limits. Just push it! Push it real good!
.
Started out the day with breakfast:
egg beaters, slice of cheese on toast and a big cup o' coffee with hazelnut creamer. See the alligator on my coffee mug? Isn't it cute? Got that on a camping trip. :)
Got the kids ready for their Junior Gardening Club meeting. We had to stop and get a ton of supplies.

Ate some fast food on the way. mmmmmm, banana.

It was such a nasty rainy day. When we got to the meeting the leaders told me that they weren't going to do the project that I had bought all of the supplies for because of the rain. Oh well. The kids had fun and learned a lot.

Got home and it was time to Push It real good!

First, The Shred. Level 2. I survived it but I did have to do the modified versions a lot. I burned about 200 calories and had Jello legs afterwards.

Recovered from the workout for a few minutes, ate a Fiber One bar, then hit the wet streets for C25K program. This is week 3 day 1 for me. I was intimidated.
The plan: after a 5 minute warm up,
  • run 90 seconds
  • walk 90 seconds
  • run 3 minutes
  • walk 3 minutes

Repeat then cool down for 5 minutes. Burned 300 calories.

Running has been a struggle for me. Running 3 minutes seemed nearly impossible. Usually at the end of my little run sessions it feels like my heart is going to burst and I have trouble catching my breath. But I want to be able to run so badly that I keep pushing myself! Not only did I have the 3 minute run sessions but it was right after doing a very intense Shred workout.

Guess what: I did it!!!! It was difficult but not nearly as difficult as I had played it out in my head. It's funny how we play head games with ourselves. I think it may be one reason that the trainers push the contestants on The Biggest Loser so much. People have limitations in their own minds and they have to be pushed to do things they never thought they could do. Once you start doing things that your mind told you that you couldn't, you reach a new level...a more confident level. A level where anything is possible. A level that makes you feel powerful. I think it's good to push yourself beyond the limits of your mind.

And that's what I did yesterday. In my mind there was no way I could do level 2 of Shred. I did it.

In my mind, there was no way I could run for 2 3-minute sessions (especially after doing the Shred). I did it.

It made me feel strong. It made me feel that there is nothing that I can't do. Have you pushed yourself lately?

After my run I had a pretty bad headache. I don't do well in cold weather even though it was only about 53 degrees. I know, that's warm for some of you guys out there. For you folks living on ice caps up there, do you cover your head when you run? How do you exercise outside in cold weather? Layers? Help me out here. The cold hurts my ears and makes my head hurt. Guess I'll have to use the treadmill until it gets a wee bit warmer here.

Dinner: Pei Wei Caramel Shrimp (stock velveted) over brown rice. I had half the portion. (310 calories for shrimp, 170 calories for rice) This stuff is incredible! Sweet, spicy, shrimp, pineapple, bell peppers, carrots, cucumber and a little cilantro. One of the best dishes I've had there. If you order from Pei Wei, be sure to get your protein "stock velveted." I'm not exactly sure what that means but you do save on calories and fat. Still tastes fabulous. And remember: the nutritional values on their web site are usually for HALF of the order.

Dessert: attune bar dark chocolate and then Greek yogurt with honey and 1/4 cup blueberries

I have to share something with you. I was going through my blog list and wanted to check in on some folks that haven't posted in a while. Usually when someone stops blogging it's because they've derailed in their quest to healthy. Usually, not always. I was sad to see that two of the blogs had been deleted. I wish I could reach those folks.

If you deleted your blog because you've "fallen off the wagon" or gained back some weight, please don't give up. Please. No one will judge you here because any one that has lost weight knows that it's a struggle. We've been there. And you have the ability to make your very next choice a healthy one. Don't give up. You're worth it. It's not hopeless. Small steps=big results. Make one change in your life right now. Just one. How about just moving for 10 minutes a day? You CAN do it!

On a happier note, did you watch Biggest Loser last night? OMG, I have not been a fan of green team but Miggy earned my respect. That girl had her appendix taken out and walked 13 miles the next day!! And she still lost 5 pounds. That's a tough momma right there! Was sad to see Captain Caveman go home. Glad to see he shaved off that beaver that was attached to his neck after he got home.

One last thing: check out Clean Eating magazine this month. They have deep dish pizza and Greek food (I'm talking gyros!) in there. A very good issue.

Calories Burned: 2577

Calorie intake: 1116

Deficit: -1461


23 comments:

  1. i used a heart rate monitor
    and yes did all 3 levels back to back

    i do that at least once a week
    its my normal

    i think that was my highest burn though yet

    you burnt more than me though lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on great workouts...your tough! I agree on Miggy...I didn't like her before, but I have an appreciation for her hard work this week. I think a switch flipped for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on the running!

    I hate cold weather (good thing I live in the Northeast, lol!) and haven't run outside since early December. I did run outside a bit in November/December and when I did I wore a headband over my ears and then gloves on my hand. I wore one of my usual workout tanks in the good wicking material and then wore a hoodie over that. I start out with the sleeves down but by the end I roll them up to my elbows. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS meant to say I was so sad to see the remaining brown team member go home this week; I wanted to see the smirks wiped off the faces of the red team! I can't stand them! Miggy is kind of nuts but I think she is getting a little more cheerful which is a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEE, that's amazing. All 3 levels of Shred back to back? My brain still has trouble grasping the concept. :) Oh and part of my calorie burn is just my BMR.

    Thanks, Angie!! And I agree about Miggy. She even seems happier.

    Not Just Celery, thanks for the running tips. I'm going to try them out if the weather cooperates. We've been having so much rain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK, first I have to say that your eyelashes look fab!!!


    As to the running, how fast are you going? I'm pretty slow - I think my pace is in the 11 - 12 minute range for a mile (will know for sure once I get my Nike+ going!). Just wondering if you are running too fast? Any case, you did it, so great job and congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shelley, thanks! I love them too.
    I can promise you that I am not running too fast. I am slow as molasses. LOL I'll have to enter my run and see how fast (or slow) it is. I am sure you are running faster than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will help you learn to embrace the cold. There are good things to say about the cold. It forces you to move, for one thing.

    I wish "The Biggest Loser" would ditch all the cr@ppy drama and just show us how they work out more. Let the scale do the judging.

    But that's just me.

    Your work yesterday has inspired me to go running. I figure if ol' Miggy can walk thirteen miles after an appendectomy, I can start running with a lame neck. Tonight is the night!

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chuck, I'm so proud of you but please don't push it too hard. I worry about your neck. Walking is fine for burning calories. There are even folks who WALK marathons and half marathons. It's easy on your joints but you still burn a lot of calories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. FINALLY I am catching up. Congratulations on your loss (figured it was easier to do all of the commenting on one post!) and all of the hard work you've been doing. Especially awesome is finishing the bootcamp! You go lady!

    I cant believe you did Level 2 of the Shred AND then ran the C25K. I too am sort of amazed that I am making it through the three minute intervals. I just keep telling myself "it's only three minutes, you can do anything for three minutes" which is the exact same mantra that I told myself during the 60 second intervals ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, scalewarfare! We can do this!! I saw them do the same thing on BL last night. They were told to run 5 minutes and they all just kind of looked at each other like, "whah? Did she just say 5 minutes?!" But they kept telling themselves "we can do this. It's just 5 minutes. we can do this." And they did it!!!

    Let's not even talk about week 4 of C25K. :-0

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey good for you. I need to start running again on the tredmill, I think I will wait till the girls go down when im done breastfeeding the little guy.. Don't need any black eyes at the moment.. yuck yuck...

    ReplyDelete
  13. WAY TO GO KELLY!!! (if i could make those caps bigger for my excitement & proud-ness for you i would!!) keep pushing girl and you are going to get more endurance & run that 5K like a pro!!

    and you are just too sweet, i loved your paragraph at the end about bloggers who hadn't blogged in a while! good msg!!

    one more thing, thanks for letting me know who went home! i feel asleep in the last 10 minutes & kyle did too so we didn't know what happened!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WW Wannabe: get yourself a good sport bra. That'll tame the wildest of girls. A must have!

    Darci, I hope I didn't spoil the BL for you! Did you record it?? And a BIG thanks for the pat on the back. It's nice to have that sometimes. :) And yes I will be nagging you if you stop blogging again. I'm just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome job on the 30 day shred AND c25k. That's my plan for next week! :) I'm proud of you for doing level 2. I have to say that I'm somewhat scared of it, but I think I'm getting close to where I could advance to level 2.

    I don't workout outside when it's cold out. I find it bothers my lungs for one thing. So it's indoors for me from November until Spring! Can't wait to get outside again though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am going to my parents this weekend so I'll be bringing the DVD along. So not a big deal for me. It would be a little harder in a hotel...but hey...who cares if the people below you hear all kinds of bouncing around, you'll never see them again...or not at all unless they come upstairs to yell at you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mae Flowers, you could do level 2 of Shred. TRUST me on that one. It's not as bad as you may think plus there are modifications if you need them (like I did).

    Yeah, I guess I'll just have to be a die hard Shred-head and do it in the hotel room. That's if we even go anywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. hooray! I didn't watch biggest loser yet but now i know what happened! ;) I need to stick with the shred . . . it's like 30 minutes, right? Perhaps I will give it another go tomorrow after class . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, jessi, I hope I didn't ruin BL for you! I need to start putting a spoiler warning before I start yapping about it. :)
    No, girl, the Shred is only 20 minutes!!!! Woohoo! 20 minutes of pure torture.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't believe that you did the shred and then went running!! Holy Molly kiddo you rock :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG I so LOVE that song!!! haha, great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the encouragement, especially the exercise which has become a burden due to health concerns and also a certain population at the gym.

    However, my blogging is not strictly for health. It is an all subject block the smallest part of which is devoted to health issues.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)