Friday, February 12, 2010

Run, Kelly, RUN!

Thursday:

What a drizzly, nasty day. It stayed about 43 degrees all day.
Breakfast: 1 c. Kashi GoLean and 1/2 cup milk and a SF Rock Star
The kids both had science classes at the Museum of Natural Science so we braved the weather. The classes only lasted an hour. Afterwards we were waiting in line for the elevators to the parking garage when I got a little idea: "Let's have a race up the stairs!" Charlie won the race up 5 flights but we were all breathing pretty heavy when we got there. I should mention that no one else in line chose to race us. It was just me and the kids. :)
.
Got home and had lunch: Bean burrito (made with fat free refried beans, cheese slice and Taco Bell hot sauce on a low carb tortilla) and cantaloupe
I had just sat down to eat when the doorbell rang. It was UPS with my Valentine's gift from Chuck! A pair of diamond studs!! I've wanted a pair for a while but would never spend the money for them. I love them!!! I'm not wearing them until our date Friday night. :)Time to head to the Y for C25K workout. On the way a big 18-wheeler truck has a tire blow out right beside me! Talk about exciting! There were pieces flying everywhere and I was dodging them. One huge piece landed in front of me and it was still smoking. Then I guess he had another blowout because a big piece of tire flew waaaaaaay up in the air. I slowed and pulled to the side to see where it would land. It was just crazy. Like something out of a movie. Pieces flying around smoking and me dodging them. It was awesome! LOL I like a little excitement from time to time. :)
.
.
I've decided to walk through the free weight area every time I go to the Y so that I become more comfortable with it. Today it was packed!
.
After my "get to know you better" stroll through the free weights I headed to the treadmill. For some reason today's run session was a little tougher. I think because my hamstrings are so sore from pulling those weeds. Guess that's a muscle I need to work more!
.
I completed Week 4 Day 2 of the program. Yeah, it was hard but I did it! I was even able to run .45 of a mile in one session. Getting closer to that 1 mile goal. I will get there!
.
This is what I looked like after the workout:
As soon as I was finished with the run I asked one of the trainers to show me the squat rack and how to use it. Just taking small steps to learn more about that intimidating room. :) I didn't know there were two different types! A Smith machine and the other type without assistance. Good to know. Next time I'm going to ask about free weight room etiquette. Are there some things I should know? Rules? Unwritten rules? Don't want to tick off any of the regulars.
.
My post workout snack was a Primal Strip Texas BBQ flavor (10 g protein) I like these strips ok. They're not my favorite but they're very portable. I'm going to be a little snooty here so skip ahead if you'd rather not read a rant.
.
Texas BBQ? This is a vegan product from Taiwan! Call it BBQ flavored if you like but don't call it Texas BBQ. That's not right. You can not take the name of Texas in vain. I won't buy this flavor again on principle.
After the gym I had to go by the store to get some firewood for the night. It was raining sideways but I ran in, got some wood, beer, apples and an Oxygen magazine and ran back to the van. I should mention that the only parking place was very far away from the door. More running!
.
Then I had to go to the pet store to get frozen rats and mice for the snakes, crickets for the beaded dragon, dog food and reptile bedding. More running through bad rain!
.
Then my "low fuel" light came on. Ratcha fratchin' *(&$*@#&* !!!!! So I also needed to get gas in this horrible weather. On the bright side: I burned some more calories! :D
.
As soon as I got home it was time to make dinner. My kids reminded me of a nest full of baby birds with their mouths open begging the momma bird for some dinner.
.
Dinner: Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry with Orange Sauce over Soba Noodles (from Clean Eating Magazine March/April 2010 issue) and a salad
A cup of stir fry was 270 calories and full of flavor. The kids even liked this recipe and asked for seconds! Wow!
.
After dinner I had a camera shy Chobani blueberry yogurt. I can't get enough of that stuff. :)
.
Then a snack later: popcorn and a Texas Iced Tea (I made that up...I don't know what it's really called but it's SO good!)
You need sweet tea vodka, diet Sprite and sugar free sweet n sour mix.
I usually use 3 oz of tea vodka but tonight I only used 1.5 oz to save some calories. After all, Friday night is going to be a calorie train wreck at The Melting Pot!
.
Directions: (the way I usually make it)
Fill a glass with ice. Add 3 oz of tea vodka. Add a splash of sweet and sour mix. Fill the rest with Sprite. Stir and enjoy. Can also garnish with a lemon and/or mint sprig. Tastes like tea and is so good!!!
.
Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka is 66 calories per oz. FYI. :)
.
Calories Burned: 2695
Calorie Intake: 1242
Deficit: -1453

11 comments:

  1. Good grief! Look at that deficit!

    You are doing an incredible job! Now, let's get ready to spend some of the calories you've saved....

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure those are real diamonds? I'd take a hammer to 'em to make sure Chuck isn't pawning off some diamelles on you. I wouldn't put it past him!

    I bet you and the kids were a sight dashing up those stairs. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great running, Kelly!! You are finding ways to get in random acts of exercise all throughout your day. You are one active, healthy girlie!

    Never knew there was such a thing as sweet tea VODKA!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I totally <3 Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka. For the longest time it was only sold in South Carolina, so everytime I was down visiting my Mom in Hilton Head I'd buy a couple of handles of it. I love that stuff :) The originaly drink is Sweet Tea Vodka and Lemonade, equal parts. I do it with the light lemonade to save on calories and points! It so doesnt taste like vodka, but it does the trick!

    Big advice on Sweat Tea vodka though, stick with the Firefly brand, the others don't taste very good :)

    Yay on the running lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing like an angry Texan, lol! Do not take the name of our great state in vain!!! Love that you won't buy that flavor again on principle!

    Ahem, where was I? Oh yes - THOSE EARRINGS!!! Wow. Chuck did good! Very pretty - I've always wanted diamond studs, too. Still wanting...

    You crack me up what with enjoying the excitement of the tire bits flying everywhere (I would have been a wreck) - you like roller coasters, too, I'll bet.

    Have a good day - stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that you ran up the stairs with your kids, way to be an active mom! And those earrings are gorgeous, so simple, yet so elegant! I am also doing the C25k ( I should finish it up this week!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sacrilege! Texas is nothing without it's beef! Vegans be damned :P Good call, Kellz, I'm with you.

    Awesome earrings! I've been wanting some diamond studs myself. Good job, Chuck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice diamonds!

    And congrats on onderland!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW your exercise regimen is exhausting to read by this 70= year old!

    My exercise INCREASED after hiring a house cleaner...I know just opposite of the expected. but I have to follow her around to answer questions, etc. Today I am very tired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the variety of items you picked up at the grocery store. lol

    How sweet of your husband! :) Have a Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The squat rack - one of my favorite pieces of equipment! (stay away from the Smith machine).

    Etiquette in the free weight area? Wipe off the benches when you are done. Let someone work in a set in between yours if they need it (and don't be afraid to ask yourself). Rerack the weights when you are finished.
    Don't let the weights crash to the floor.
    Get in there and have fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)