Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wednesday Stuff & New Recipe

Thank you all for the comments about meeting my goal yesterday. I felt like I had a little celebration party with all of you! And thank you for not bringing cake to the party. It would not have ended well. :)

I have a bad habit. A sugar free Rock Star habit. I freely admit it. But if I'm going to have a vice I'd rather it be something tame like drinking an energy beverage.

I was out of my drug so I went to Target to restock. Do you see anything wrong with the sign posted below my Rock Star?
I usually pay $5.89 for it but they're trying to tell me there was a "temporary price cut" (aka A SALE) and now I'm paying $5.99? Think I'll email corporate on this one. Yeah, I still bought some but I still couldn't believe it.

Breakfast: oats with vanilla protein powder, raw almond butter, Polaner Sugar Free Raspberry Jam with fiber. YUM! Very filling too.
Did my Turbo Jam with Rachel. Still having a little trouble getting some of those moves. I do work up a nice sweat quickly!
Time for lunch: rosemary sun dried tomato ham, sugar free wheat bread, 2% cheese, mustard sandwich; falafel chips, 1 c. grapes
The falafel chips taste just like falafel!!! Very yummy. They come in a brown paper bag.
Some nutritional info:
You can view their ingredients here.
Time to do some strength training at the Y. I did my routine of watching the folks in the free weights room for a while. Whoah! What's the contraption with the pulleys?! That's a new one to me. May have to ask for help with that one. You know what? I'm just going to ask for a tour of that darn room. I'm getting tired of just watching. I want to go in there and play.

Today I just used the weight machines and did the regular full body workout. I don't like their back extension machine. It always hurts my backs. Thinks I'll just do some extensions on the balance ball and do some supermans on the floor.
After the workout I had a Muscle Milk Light 100 calorie pack. The taste reminded me of a chocolate malt. I actually liked it! But the name grosses me out. I get horrible mental pictures. Muscle Milk. Something is wrong with that. And it doesn't even contain milk!
Dinner: Honey Mustard Chicken & Rice Pilaf from Clean Eating Magazine March/April 2010 issue
You should just go out and get this issue. There are so many great recipes in it. Everyone loved this one. The honey mustard sauce is incredible. Charlie even cleaned his plate! Greens and all!
.
Recipe:
.
2 cups brown rice
olive oil cooking spray
1# boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips (I just used tenderloins and trimmed them)
1/4 cup white onion, diced (I used dried minced onion)
1 large bunch kale (about 8 oz), stems removed & finely diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2 Tbs raw honey
1/4 c. dijon mustard
1/8 c. apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbs. fresh flat leaf parsley, finely minced (I forgot this part. doesn't change taste)
.
Cook rice according to package directions.
.
Heat a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over high heat for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium high, mist pan with cooking spray and saute chicken for about 5 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink. Remove chicken from heat and set aside.
.
Mist same pan again with cooking spray. Add onion, kale and red pepper and saute over med-high heat until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add rice to veggies and saute until warmed, about 2 more minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
.
In a medium bowl whisk together honey, mustard, vinegar, oil, garlic & 2 Tbs. water. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat pan over med-high heat, add chicken and homey mustard sauce to pan and saute for about 3 minutes.
.
To serve, divide rice pilaf between 4 plates then top with honey-mustard chicken. Sprinkle with parsley.
.
Serving: 2/3 c honey mustard chicken & 1 c rice pilaf. Serves 4
Calories 579; Fat 7g; Sat Fat: 1.25g; Carbs 92g; Fiber 5g; Sugars 10g; Protein 36g; Sodium 526mg; Cholesterol 66mg
.
A couple of hours after dinner I became so hungry. Munchies? I ate an Attune bar hoping it would satisfy me. Nope. So Chuck and I shared some 100 calorie kettle corn. He brought me 3 oz of sweet tea vodka and of course I had to take it. After that I just went to sleep. No sense giving in to urges and eating everything that's not nailed down.
.
Calories Burned: 2438
Calorie Intake: 1872 (a little high)
Deficit: -566
.
Almost forgot to mention: I'm officially signed up for the Armadillo Dash 5K on March 7th. I will get to meet Shelley and run with her. She's way faster and in much better shape than I am so I'm a little nervous. I'm sure I'll at least finish though. It's going to be a lot of fun. :)

13 comments:

  1. Ooo I love falafel! Where did you get those chips!?!

    Have fun with the 5k! Take your time and just enjoy being out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you and your 5K coming up!! Makes me excited for race season!!

    Those chips look really good!! i can hear the crunch now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The honey mustard chicken and rice pilaf looks awesome. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to do great in the 5K and I am so happy that you are going to be running with me AND that we will get to meet!

    BTW, that recipe looks great - thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh, I love falafel! And I love chips!!! I cannot believe some genius put the two together! I must find these!!!

    Great job on meeting your goal, Kelly! You are working so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found the falafel chips at Whole Foods. :) They are VERY yummy. Do get some.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will do great on the 5K. Keep up the practicing!

    I agree, those falafel chips sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had falafel. I may be able to handle it in chip form though...less scary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OHHHH MAN!!!!!!! You just gave me some ideas. I am trying to get into eating oatmeal..not my fav and don't really know what to eat with it-your pic makes(sounds)look more appetizing. And the rest? mmm...thank you
    And now I don't feel so bad for drinking sugar free redbull every now and then :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never had falafel...sounds interesting, and that chicken dish looks delish...so glad you're going to get to see Shelley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am now into Rock Star as much as Monster...Thanks to you!
    I know you'll do fine at the 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck on that 5k!! That will be a lot of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my word I havent had a freaking Falafel in over 6 yrs.... Where ever did you find them....:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)