Monday, March 8, 2010

Armadillo Dash 5K Weekend

Friday: I was so excited! Chuck and I packed and headed to College Station. Checked in to the hotel and met the beautiful Shelley and her sweet husband Jeff at Luigi's Italian restaurant. Good choice, Shelley! This place was fantastic. It was decorated so that you feel like you are eating on an outside patio but you're really indoors.

Shelley is just as sweet in person as on her blog. She's beautiful, fit and a delight to be around. As soon as I saw her I recognized her. We hugged and she gave me a gift: Pioneer Woman cookbook! What an appropriate gift. A book written by a blogger.

Shelley and I both ordered the chicken curry dish. It was soooo good. Chicken with curry veggies on rice with coconut, raisins, nuts and pineapple.

Then it was time for dessert! Shelley and Jeff took us to a frozen yogurt shop. It's like our Swirll here in town but much more crowded. Yeah, we hung out with the college crowd on Friday night. LOL The yogurt was lip-smacking good. My Chuck put sweetened condensed milk on his as a topping. haha Love that man.

We sat outside and chatted and laughed while enjoying yogurt. I got to share my experience with running from the police during my first 5K. Apparently the police trail the last runner. I ran from them and they couldn't catch me! We also talked about doing a treadmill 5K with fellow bloggers during the summer. Wouldn't that be fun?!

After the yogurt was gone and the cool breeze had chilled us, we said our goodnights.

Saturday:
Chuck and I woke up LATE. Had some IHOP (did you know they have a great low cal menu??!!) and then picked up the race packet.

The race course was kind of weird: lots of loops and a double back. We decided to go check out the course and the park.

It's a beautiful park with a veterans memorial:


I found a geocache! I love that my droid phone has a geocache app. Cool!
A memorial to 911 and a piece of the World Trade Tower.
After walking most of the race course we did some sight seeing. Messina Hof winery wasn't far away so we went for the grand tour.
I LOVE this chandelier in the entrance of the resort!
We were told by the tour guide that the doors on the resort came from Louis Pasteur's summer house.
The vines do not have leaves on them now. I'd love to come back when they are loaded with grapes and maybe participate in the grape stomping.
The grounds had beautiful statues here and there.

After the complimentary 4 glasses of wine we headed to Olive Garden for some carb loading. I think I took the whole carb loading concept too far. LOL We went a little crazy with dinner.
.
Then back to the hotel where we both took a nap and then just watched TV. Chuck gave me a mini pedicure so my feet would look and feel nice. Thanks, Chuck! What a sweety. :)
.
I was starting to get pretty nervous about the race. I was thinking about chickening out. What if I forgot to set my alarm?! Or what if my ankle started to hurt and I couldn't run?! Oh no.....that would be terrible.
.
But then I got on the computer and I had so many well wishes on my blog and on my SparkPeople page that I decided right there that I was going to run in the race no matter what. It actually did a lot to ease my mind. I'm not even exactly sure what I was afraid of!
.
I did go to sleep early but I woke up throughout the night checking the time. Did I oversleep? Did the alarm not go off?! That happened a lot. :)
.
Sunday:
Up bright and early at 6am. I am not a morning person. My eyes were all puffy and I was staggering around the room like a drunk sailor. Got my clothes on and pinned on my race number crooked. Chuck was sweet and pinned it on for me straight.
.
I ate part of my banana on the way. I'm just not hungry at that hour and I was getting a case of the butterflies. The traffic near the park was insane! Cars were backed up down the highway and into the park. I think the park eventually filled up and people had to park across the street. It was madness.
.
We got there in time to cheer for the half marathoners as they took off on their long race. I didn't envy them even a little.
.
After the crowd had cleared Shelley spotted me. yeah! Someone I know! I got to meet her workout crew. Such a nice group of people. Everyone had on smiles and we were all excited about the race.
.
We were in the back waiting for the start. It was crazy. It took us a good minute before we even crossed the start line!
.
Shelley and I kept pace together for most of the time. We even chatted for a while. We got to our first and only water station. They didn't have water ready for me so I took a Gatorade. Big mistake. It immediately made me feel sick. I tossed it on the ground and caught up with Shelley. I'm proud to say that I ran a full 2 miles and a little further before I needed a short walk break. Taking a walk break was a big mistake. It was so much more difficult to get back into the groove. My legs thought it was quitting time and didn't want to start again.
.
After mile 2 things seemed to go by pretty fast. We were on our way back to the finish line. I could see Shelley up ahead of me. She didn't need a walk break. Go, Shelley, go!!!! As I was coming closer I could hear the lady announce Shelley's name as she crossed the finish line. I was pretty close behind her and was so excited to hear my name. (that's me in the blue shirt)
Look at the beautiful smile on Shelley. It's a great feeling to cross that finish line.
The happy bloggers post race.
My time: 39:13. If I had known that I was that close to the 38s I think I would have pushed a little harder. But I'm very happy with my time. My first 5K was 53 minutes! Yeah, this was better. :) I still want to be able to run the entire thing. I counted the race as C25K Week7 day1 where I am supposed to run 2 miles straight. Done! LOL I'd say I ran for a little more than 75% of the race. I did have to take 3-4 walk breaks after mile 2.
.
Shelley did awesome with a 38:10!
.
We stayed to cheer on the half marathoners as they crossed the finish line. I'm so impressed with them. That's a difficult race right there. Good for them!
.
Then it was time to say our goodbyes. Chuck and I headed back to the hotel so I could get cleaned up and then got some breakfast and headed home.
.
It was such a great weekend. I hated for it to end. I got to meet my blogger friend and earn a tee shirt and spend time with my sweet hubby. It doesn't get much better than that.

16 comments:

  1. I think we could start a little traveling 5k thingy. Lots of people travel the country and collect spoons and other knick knacks. You could travel and collect 5k t-shirts!

    Good job, Hon.

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your race! My hubby and I are starting the Couch to 5K. I can't wait to run my first one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly - love the recap!! You did AMAZING!!! Congrats on your smashing your old 5K time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Kelly!!!!
    Super proud of you and loving the pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great race report thanks for sharing with us!
    Your making great progress with your running so much to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on your race! It makes me want to get up and run another race.

    How fun that you met up with a blogger! You both looked like you were really proud of yourselves as you should be.

    Keep up the great work. When is your next race! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WooHOO! So proud of you. Congrats on a great job on this 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great weekend!! So glad you got to meet Shelley and both of you guys did fantastic...very proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great run Kelly! I love doing runs like that. I think they are so much fun with all the people (even though I'm always exhausted!). Great time too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in on the traveling 5k thing! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did so great on the 5K, and considering that I was running faster with Reagan for that last mile, you weren't that far behind me! I like the traveling 5K idea - will look into that one in Houston when I get a chance to breathe again.

    Thanks for coming up here and running with me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely amazing job!!! What an awesome time lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job girl, Great pictures as well...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you got to meet a blogger friend! And you did a 5K! I don't know which is ore impressive! I wanna play one of these years!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the 5K, so what if you walked some: you CROSSED the finish line!.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)