Thursday, March 4, 2010

Couch to 5K Update

I am so happy to be finished with week 6 of C25K! This is my last run before my 5K on Sunday. I'm a little nervous but I know I'll finish. It's kind of vain of me but I don't want to be last. I need to get over that.

Today was day 3 of week 6. It was a 5 minute warm up walk, run 25 minutes straight then a 5 minute cool down walk. During the 25 minute run I went 1.9 miles. If I had known I was THAT close to running my first two miles I would have kept going!!! But I'm happy. My pace was 4.5 mph. Not the fastest but that's ok. I'm still training and learning.

One thing that bothered me about 15 minutes into the run is I developed a pain in my foot between my big toe and the toe next to it. Any ideas what that could be?

Only 3 more weeks of C25K then I am a graduate! I was thinking about trying to find a graduation cap to wear during my last run. LOL I know I would get some weird stares but it would be fun and a great way to end the program.

OK, I know I was not going to weigh in during March. But I stepped on the scale this morning. My clothes have just been fitting so much better and I feel pretty darn good. I wasn't really expecting much because of Mother Nature stepping on the scale with me but it said I lost 2 more pounds! I'm down to 196!!!

Things are really going well. I'm starting to be at ease with this whole healthy lifestyle business.
It's taken me a long, long time to realize that weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. There will be ups and downs and times when you eat a decadent meal. That doesn't mean you've derailed. It's just part of life. Just never give up and go right back to eating right and exercising.

Whenever we are starting out on a road trip every one is excited. The kids are hyped up and we're all bright eyed and bushy tailed. Can't wait to get started. Somewhere along the way you settle in and kick off your shoes. You get comfortable and settled. I feel like I am comfortable and settled now. I'm on my way to goal. And who knows--maybe I'll keep going past goal!

Have a wonderful weekend. I don't know how much I'll actually be posting over the weekend. Chuck and I leave tomorrow to go check in to the hotel and then we'll go out to eat with Shelley and her husband. Can't wait!!!! Saturday we'll take it easy, pick up the race pack, and check out the town. Just chillax a little bit. Then Sunday is the big day.

Question for my runner friends: do you eat anything before a race? A banana or something? Any tips?

Wish Shelley and I luck. She'll do great because she is super athletic. I need a little more help still. LOL :)

18 comments:

  1. good luck on your run! enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great attitude - marathon not a sprint, I love it whenever someone says/realizes that!

    Good luck at your 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That 4.5 pace is what I run at for the 5K - I bet you will be able to run the entire thing!

    BTW, I overheard a woman talking to her friend at Academy the other day about the Dash - she was saying that they would run for 2 minutes and walk for 1 - so no worries on being last!

    Looking forward to meeting you tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! Way to go!! I wonder the same thing about pre race food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job on your running. Good luck at that 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ROFLOL! Shelley, you just made my day. You have no idea. :) I'm not worried about being last now.

    Hey, my first 5K I ran/walked in 53 minutes. Surely this one will be better. At least I'll have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you kidding me?
    "Last" is the new "First"!!!
    Who needs "luck" when you are as prepared as you!!
    Cheering you on from here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap is it time to run with Shelley already?? I guess I didn't realize it was this close!! What an exciting weekend!! And I think wearing a graduation cap is a fantastic idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. great job
    great loss
    your an inspiration to me
    have a great weekend as well

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoohoo!! First 5k! Good luck!! you'll do great! I think runs are so much fun, and if it's a "bigger" race with lots of people, you will most likely NOT be last. Some people walk it. It depends.

    When I do runs, I eat a little oatmeal about 1 hour or more before running and then I may eat a banana in the car. But I would at least eat a banana. What do you eat before you run now? You don't really want to change things up right now. You need to try it beforehand, you know? You don't want to get a stomache ache or cramps or something.

    Good luck again! Can't wait to hear all about it.

    And great job on the 196!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a x-post from what I posted on Loser for Life Blog...Thought you might be interested b/c of your new found love of running!! :) I just thought it was so funny!

    "Just got an email about a “warrior” run. The one by me is in Joliet, IL. But there are several throughout the country. It’s a 5k run with obstacles along the way (mud pits, climbing over walls, etc.) I think it sounds like so much fun, but totally lots of training would need to be involved! But I wanted to share the link. This link is for mine but follow the tabs up top to see where it may be in your area."

    http://www.warriordash.com/register2010_midwest.php

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have fun with Shelley tonight - I like to think of her as my blogger BFF!

    I am diabetic, so I have to eat and take insulin before a race - but usually its half a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter - it doesn't upset my stomach at all.

    Good luck on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bravo on finishing week 6! You know, with the race - even if you come in last of all the entrants, you are way ahead of everyone that didn't bother racing this weekend :D Just have fun!

    Prerace fuel. Good carbs and protein. You don't want just a banana because that will just flash through your system. Pair it with toast or oatmeal. 1/2 of a bagel topped with nutbutter is a great fuel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you will finish and will rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will be rooting for you and know you will finish both the race and your weight loss journey.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good Luck!!!! Soooo impressed. Don't worry about being last. You won't be! And if you were, you still finished a 5K!!!! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH YAY!
    I knew it Kelly - I KNEW you would do great!

    I am so happy - I wish I could have been there. I would have jumped up and down, I think!
    Can't wait to read all about it...I guess you athletic types need your sleep, eh?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)