Monday, March 29, 2010

My Weekend: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Friday:
Finished up C25K (yay!) and took the kids to 4H. That lasted until 3pm. Drove home (it's an hour drive each way) and packed up for my weekend away with Chuck. Not as romantic as it sounds. You see Chuck was taking a tactical shooting class on Saturday and Sunday. I would see him in the evenings but during the day I was on my own.

Took the kids to the in-laws' house and then headed to Waller, TX.

It had been a long week. There were family tensions going on and it just made the week drag by. Time for a much needed date night with my hubby. He took me to Carabba's. We haven't been in months and months. We had a couple of bellinis, salad and our entrees. I had one of my favorites: mezzaluna. It's pasta filled with a chicken, spinach, ricotta mixture topped with a tomato basil cream sauce. Yum! I could not finish it all and we didn't even have dessert this time.

On the way back to the hotel we stopped by the pharmacy for some bottled water & razors. Then came the emergency situation. My stomach said, "Oh no. Something's not right here. Everybody & everything out. Now!" I did not see a public restroom anywhere. I broke out in a cold sweat. I told Chuck, "I need to get back to the hotel right this minute."

Things turned very bad at this point. I had been touched by food poisoning. The rest of the night was spent getting to know the bathroom area on an intimate basis. Between that and the rock hard bed, little sleep was had.

Saturday:
The hotel had free breakfast so we got up early to partake. I got an english muffin with some egg on top, a yogurt and a cinnamon roll. Filled a cup with orange juice. On the way to the table my flip flop caught on the carpet and I tripped and stumbled all.the.friggin'.way to the table spilling orange juice all over the place. I kid you not. At least I didn't fall flat on my face.

Breakfast was really good. Raced back to the hotel room to deal with the food poisoning further. Took Chuck to his shooting class. This place was out in the middle of nowhere. It's down a small road and there are no signs. This is someone's cow pasture. Chuck unlocks the gate and we drive my miniature van through potholes the size of the Grand Canyon. Big ones! I maneuver like the driving pro I am and we finally make it back to the class and shooting area. There are bunkers and old cars and a bus. I think they either shoot at or shoot from these cars. I drop Chuck off and get the hell out of there. It really looks like something you'd see in an Talliban training video. Fortunately the guy teaching this class is Houston P.D. and level headed. As level headed as you can be to enjoy shooting at and from cars and then teach others how to do it for 8 hours a day on a weekend.
I get to the gate and realize I don't have a man to get out and open it for me. The dirt road is muddy and I have on flip flops. Ick!

Rush back to the hotel and just spend most of the day fighting off food poison and trying to keep hydrated. I did manage to go to a nearby (30 minutes away) Barnes and Noble and pick up The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide for Women (hilarious book!!) and Running for Mortals. Then I raced back to the hotel to go to battle with the food poisoning again.

The Non-Runner's Marathon Guide book is so funny. It's written by a woman who ran a marathon and hates running. She complains most of the time about every aspect of it but does offer good advice. I can't say that this book will inspire you to run but it will make you laugh if you already run.
Haven't started the Running for Mortals yet.

Saturday night Chuck and I drive in to Brenham to eat at BT Longhorn Saloon and Steakhouse. We both order a St Arnold's Spring Bock beer and a burger. Both of us only ate half of our burgers but they were so darn good! Worth the trip. And afterwards I raced back to the hotel. :)

I did sleep better Saturday night just because of the exhaustion from no sleep on Friday and fighting stomach issues all day on Saturday.

Sunday:
Breakfast again at the hotel. It was quite good and I didn't even spill my orange juice. I was also feeling much better.

On the way to drop Chuck off at redneck camp (just joking, sweety), we passed a bike race. How cool! I've never seen one before. Those guys do some serious mileage! Makes me want a bike. I need some sort of transformer bike so I can ride the roads and the trails. Wonder if they have one.

Going back to the hotel my stomach started to rumble. Then my low fuel light came on. Hmmm....which do I listen to? I decided it would be very bad to run out of gas so I stop for gas and just deal with the stomach cramps. Fill up the tank and fly to the hotel. Darn it! I thought I was through with the food poisoning episode!

I had to check out of the hotel by myself. Load everything up on the cart. The whole deal. I'm only mentioning this because, you see, I got married when I was 19 to Chucky-baby. I've never had to do much on my own. He does all the man stuff like loading the luggage and stuff like that. I've been a kept woman and I like it that way. I've never fought one of those luggage carts on an elevator or had to do things like that. I was pretty proud of myself for doing it all on my own. Sad, no?

The bad part is that check out time was noon and Chuck didn't get out of class until almost 5pm. So I had a lot of time on my hands. No trusty bathroom nearby. And I checked out at 10:30.

I went to a park about 20 miles away and decided to go for a run. The wind was really bad. So bad that gusts would push on the van while I was driving. S0 maybe there would be trees at the park to shield me from the wind? Sadly, no. But there were bathrooms! Bonus!

I strap on my heart rate monitor and my big ole Garmin and start walking. I forgot to bring a pony tail holder so my mane was wild and free in the wind. It was kind of chilly with the wind blowing the way it was but it felt nice. There was actually a track of sorts. I use the word track loosely because it was not even and had a few pot holes. You had to watch where you stepped or risk a twisted ankle.

I start running after a 5 minute warm up walk. You must admit, I've reached super running bad ass status now. I've not only done this in the rain but in strong winds after fighting food poisoning.

The run was one of the best I've had to date. I was super slow. I had to fight against the wind. Birds were laughing at me. You may say they were singing but I'm telling you they were laughing! I kept inhaling my hair as I tried to breathe. But I felt terrific. It was one of those very rare times when I actually enjoyed running and felt like I could keep going for miles and miles. After 35 minutes I decided to stop (wind really was getting annoying) and do my 5 minute cool down walk. 3.26 miles.

Started making my way to the min van. I had tucked my keys into the side of my sport bra so I wouldn't lose them. My lovely spandex pants have no pockets and I hate wearing my fanny pack. My fanny has enough problems without me adding some more bulk to bounce around on it. I pushed the button to unlock my doors and nothing happens. Push it again. Nothing. Huh. Maybe this is the wrong van. I look inside. Nope. It's definitely mine. I start blowing on the key thinking maybe there's sweat in it. Then I sit on the curb in front of the car thinking about what I can do.

My key is a weird key. It's not like a normal metal key. It's a weird piece of plastic thing. This is exactly what it looks like. How the hell am I going to get in my car?! How was I supposed to know that my boobs are kryptonite to electronic devices?! Then I remember that there is a real key tucked inside the plastic thing so that I can unlock the door! Woohoo! I was worried that the car wouldn't start since everything else wasn't working now but it did! So now I'm worried that it has one of those auto-shut-off devices that makes it stop running if it's been stolen. I drive 1 mile. Then 5 miles. Then 10 miles and it keeps working. Whew! Relief.

Where do you runner people put your keys?! Is there some secret runner gadget that holds keys that I should know about? Please don't say fanny pack. :)

So relieved to get in to my car. Eat a banana and head over to Stephen F Austin state park. Hey, I've got time on my hands. Stop to get some peanut butter crackers for lunch (it just sounded good) and get to the park after driving for an hour on small country back roads.

I park in the shade, open a mojito and crackers and listen to Glen Miller on the radio while a breeze comes through window. Ahhhhh. Yes. This is nice.

I don't have a map but I decide to hit the trails and just see where they take me.
The Brazos River is really high right now.
Saw a cute green tree frog. Can you spot him?
Went back to the river and found an old log to sit on along the bank. I carved my initials and Chuck's. I wonder where that log will end up. Somewhere floating to the Gulf of Mexico maybe. It was right beside the river. It won't be there for long.
After wondering many, many trails in the solitude of the woods, I went back to the car. Just then Chuck called and said to start heading his way. Yeah!
.
Picked him up and took him back to the state park. We walked for a while in the woods. I walked a total of 5.3 miles through the woods. That's a total of 8.5 miles on Sunday!
.
Picked up the kids and got home. It felt so good to get home. Time to relax. You know you've had a good day running when you have to ice something. I sat with an ice pack on my left ankle. It was a good day.
.
It was a tiring weekend. I'm glad to be home and back to "normal."
.
If you have made it this far through my weekend recap, you deserve a sticker. :)

10 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better! Great job getting a workout in!

    As for keys...I have definitely done your trick before in the sports bra. I've also strung a key on my shoelaces if there is a hole/keyring to do that with.

    I don't know if it ever gets cold enough for you in TX to need a windbreaker or light jacket, but I wear one in the spring/fall on my runs and usually these types of clothing have pockets to put my keys in!

    I also have this neat thing from Lululemon...that I don't see on their website now, of course! It's a wristband for $8. You tuck your key in the middle part and slip it on your wrist and it stays put. I was a bit skeptical at first but I've never had a problem. I've also used it to hold my iPod nano without a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a pouch at Academy - Nike maybe - that attaches to your shoelaces which would work...did you have your cell with you? If not, you should, for the gps and safety (sorry the mom in me is coming out!).

    Didn't know you were so sick while we were emailing on Saturday...that must have really sucked!

    Good job with all of the running!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kelly, that was a rough weekend! I am so proud of you for getting in your run after all that. I would have wanted to attach myself permanently to the bed! YOU ARE BAD ASS!

    Glad you're home and feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had been there, I would have FOR SURE been your Nurse, and taken GREAT CARE of you.
    Bless your runnin' heart!
    I'm back from my Splendid vacation now, so I can catch up on your news and views!
    ps- I took a RockStar with me everywhere I went and thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kelly...what a weekend...your title sums it up pretty well!!

    i have a little pouch that velcros to my shoes and it zips. i usually just put chap-stick in it, but it would work great for keys too. my lil sis got it for me at a running store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That sounds like one crazy weekend!

    As far as keys go, I read about this thing on the blog Endurance Isn't Only Physical and then saw it a few weeks later in a sporting goods store.

    http://www.ifitnessinc.com/products.htm

    That's a link to an example. The one I saw was at Dick's Sporting Goods, but I can't seem to find it online. Shucks. It was much smaller than those.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, too bad you were sick on the weekend but way to go getting all those miles in. I don't have any suggestions for your keys as I have the same issue - but if I am out on my own, I have more than just my keys so I tend to use the fanny pack even if I hate the dumb thing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great run! The key, well, my trisuit has a tiny pocket in the back that zips up. Just enough room for id and key.

    You might also consider the shoe wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why not put your keys right next to the holster on your thigh?

    Oh... wait. You don't carry a thigh rig. That's right.

    Seriously.... we should look for the wrist thingy. That would be a good place to put it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your C25K graduation...I finished last week and had my first post C25K run too proving to myself that the program was just the start of being a runner. My GPS and heart rate monitor arrives tomorrow, fingers crossed.

    Oh...my wife is law enforcement so I also learned how to shoot too...can be fun, but haven't gone in awhile...ammo is expensive!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)