Thursday, March 18, 2010

Running My *ss Off

(pictures taken with cell phone. Sorry for the quality or lack thereof.)

Since I first started running to lose weight (not to get an addiction to 5K tee shirts) I thought I would call my running posts "Running My *ss Off." That way you can skip reading it all together if you care nothing about running or reading about running. See? I care about you and your reading enjoyment. :D

Today was week 8 Day 3 of Couch to 5K program. I had my sugar free Rock Star and was ready for a run with a caffeine buzz. Woohoo!

Gorgeous day. If there were only more days that started out this great.....well, it would be nice.

The view down my street as I started my warm up walk. No, we do not believe in trees in this neighborhood. Trees bad. Actually they just haven't grown yet. By the time I'm 90 they should be beautiful oaks.
The goal: warm up 5 minutes, run 28 minutes, cool down walk 5 minutes. My view of the fountain as I come up to 1/2 mile finished.
This is the bench that I could have stopped to sit on and rest but I ran right past. Yes, I did take that picture while running. Impressive, no?
This is also the bench I sat on while trying to walk a half marathon last year and failed.
I love this part of the neighborhood. There were two ducks on the "lake" and the sun was shining and the air was cool. Perfect. And I was feeling terrific!
I did experiment with a couple of walk breaks to see if the whole run-walk-run method really does help with energy levels in a run. Guess what. It does! I felt like I could have kept going! I'm looking forward to training like that.
.
Total time including 5 minute warm up walk, 5 minute cool down walk and run: 38 minutes
Distance: 3.04 miles
Pace: 12:30 or 4.8 mph (but that does include the two 5 minute walks at the beginning and end)
.
Exciting news!! At least for me. :) Hubby surprised me by ordering a Garmin Forerunner 305 as a weigh loss reward gift. Hehe! I'm so excited. I am a lover of all gadgets. I'm going to look like Robo-Cop when I go running with my mp3 player, sleeve for my cell phone to be worn on arm, bodybugg and watch, and Garmin. Love it. Should be here next Friday!
.
More news: I signed up for a 5K this Saturday. There's also a free health expo. Woohoo! Bonus! Unfortunately I did not check the weather before signing up and it's an 80% chance of rain. Not just rain but thunderstorms. Either way, I'm running that baby. :)

7 comments:

  1. Sweet, sweet, sweet! I can't wait to be able to call myself a runner! You go girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. The pics are pretty good too! Nice place to run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trees? Trees? We don't need no steenkin' trees!!!

    Cool pictures - I have never brought my camera on a run but I should try. Love your bench where you DIDN'T sit - good on ya!!!

    Chuck will definitely have to take a picture of you when you are all decked out in your gadget geekdom - can't wait to hear how you like the Garmin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're doing so great! :) Sounds like you have lots of gadgets- I love them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are all over that!
    The ducks on the take....
    Funny!
    Awesome pics, too, Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the pics! Saw the post on sparkpeople about your 5k time. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pics. I'm all into gadgets too and have the Garmin 405. I like it as it tracks my mileage and tells me how fast I am walking/running. Since I can't run right now, it works for my walking training sessions. My next want is the body bugg :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)