Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Sneakin' in the Veggies

I'm not a big fan of the veggies. I'm a big fan of pretty much everything carbolicious (mac n cheese, breads, pastries, etc) and I like proteins (steak, crab legs, chicken). Fruits are ok too. But getting in those servings of veggies is tough. It's even tougher to get the kids to eat them.

We pretty much have salad with every meal. That's at least something. I also get the V8 Fusion light for the kids. That's something. They hate all of the veggies except corn.

Last night I "made" pizza. More like assembled pizza than made. I had Mama Mary's Thin & Crispy crusts. 120 calories for 1/6th. Not too terribly bad. Then I added some pizza sauce. Here's the sneaky part: I piled that sucker high with fresh spinach leaves. The good thing is that the spinach leaves do not change the taste of the pizza at all!
I then added reduced fat mozzarella and turkey pepperoni. No, it's not exactly clean eating but I must have pizza from time to time. I've tried the veggie pepperoni slices but they're just not my favorite. I also add Italian seasoning to the top. The crust gets a spray of olive oil and sprinkled with some garlic salt around the edges.
After it's baked for about 9 minutes, the crust is crispy and the spinach has shrunken. Time for pizza.
The kids devour it! None left. And they're getting a veggie. I serve it with a romaine lettuce salad for even more veggie goodness. Mission complete.
.
.
I don't know if I'm hormonal or what. Yesterday I was feeling down. Kind of bummed out. I get that way sometimes. I start feeling like a failure at everything. I hate that! That's just not me! And what's weird is that in my head I'm thinking, "What the hell is wrong with you, girl? I hate it when you get all weirded out like this. But you'll get over it soon. Just deal with it."
.
Hope you don't think I'm crazy. Good news is that I do get over it. I feel better and everything is ok again.
.
Yesterday I had to take Charlie to the Y for PE. I could either run or do weights while I waited. I have really been neglecting strength training lately so I decided to do the weights for 45 minutes.
.
I got a great workout in. I was able to increase the weight in a couple of exercises. Yeah! And afterwards I was feeling like me again. I don't ever look forward to exercise but I always feel so much better afterwards. It's good therapy.
.
Today my arms are so sore that it hurts to lift my water bottle. LOL I'll take that.
.
Tomorrow we are going camping!! I can't wait. We haven't been since November. There are miles and miles of hiking trails and a big lake. We're going to bring the canoes and paddle. And when we're not paddling we're going to be hiking. Going to burn those calories up!
.
Camping trips are a big challenge for me. I always end up munching on things I shouldn't. This time I've packed a lot of fruits and healthy snacks. Also some popcorn. Our trailer has a microwave so I can pop some micro-corn and sit by the campfire and snack on that while the kids have smores. Well, I may have one smore. After all, I will be burning a lot of calories. :)
.
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend. I'm sure I'll be posting lots of pics when I get back.

13 comments:

  1. Have fun camping!!

    That pizza looks really good and a great way to get those veggies in. I have a hard time getting the veggies in too.

    I know what you mean about the hormonal feelings. I go through the same thing too. It feels like someone else is thinking my thoughts because they're just not like me! But it does go away, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, camping. Can't think of a better way to have fun and get the fitness in. Have fun! The added weights in strength training should definitely pay off.

    P.S. Spinach pizza looks amazing. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to get in veggies! I was thinking about that last night that I don't think I get in enough of those guys!!

    Have fun camping!! Great way to spend Easter weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that pizza looks YUMMY! Where are you going camping? Have fun and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janna, we're heading to Lake Somerville. We've never been there. Any weekend camping is a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been camping! I'm not very outdoorsy, so I admire that about you. When I get to the Houston area, it's all I can do to not camp out right in front of the biggest air conditioner I can find, so I dunno how the heck you deal with all the humidity AND being outside in it, but more power to ya, girl! :P Have a great time, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like spinach on pizza - haven't made my own in a long time, but your pizza is inspiring me - love crispy pepperoni! Good idea about Pamming the crust and adding the garlic salt - sounds so tasty.

    The winds must be blowing some weird things here in Texas - I've been feeling the same as you this week. You ARE doing so good and changes are happening to your body. Look at how strong you are and how far you can run now! Let's hope April will banish those crummy feelings. Enjoy your campout (and a s'more - yum)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG I miss camping - you lucky lady! Have lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pizza looks YUM! and you can do it on the camping trip! I can't wait to hear about it!!
    Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, blossom!
    Have a great time camping!
    And the sneaky spinach pizza looks great!
    I'm having a Monster AND a Rock Star in your honour!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! I want pizza now!

    I sneak veggies in where I can too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pizza! Way to sneak in the veggies :)

    Glad you're feeling better. You MOST CERTAINLY are not a failure!

    Have a fantastic time camping!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Homesick Texan here - just found your blog and intend to follow along as you successfully progress.

    Where is your camping trip? ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)