Monday, April 26, 2010

Battle of San Jacinto and other fun stuff

Friday:

I knew it was going to be a busy day and the only way to get some exercise in would be to get up early and just do it. Since I had my less than stellar run on Thursday, I was just going to walk for 30-45 minutes. Somewhere after mile 1 I decided I really needed to run just to make sure I could still do it. I chose a landmark (a canal) in the neighborhood and ran all the way there. 1.26 miles! Yeah. I can still do it! And it felt great except that the morning was very hot and humid and I sweating even more than I usually do. Way to go, me! :)

My mom came to town with my niece and nephew. It was so good to see everyone again. As soon as they got here we had to leave to take Rachel to her 4H class. While she was in there, we browsed some gardens and just enjoyed the beautiful day.

Rachel's class lets out at 3pm and we are all starving! I stop by Domino's on the way home and pick up some medium cheese and pepperoni pizzas. I figure I'll have one to hold me off until dinner time. Nope. I ate 7 of the darn things. Fortunately for me I had burned quite a few calories throughout the day so in the end I still had a 600 calorie deficit. Still, I should not have had all of that pizza. I felt like a bottomless pit!

Saturday:

Saturday is my exercising day off but I still had an active rest day and burned a decent amount of calories.

After Chuck made a wonderful breakfast for us all, we went to the reenactment of the Battle of San Jacinto. It was so crowded but the weather couldn't have been any more perfect.
The actors really played the crowd and got the kids involved. They had tents set up to show them how they lived and how to do different things. I think they had a lot of fun.
All of them were so friendly. We got to pet the horses too.
The cannons were my favorite. Here a replica of one of the Twin Sisters (two cannons that were gifts to Texas from Cincinnati, Ohio) is being fired. We had a blanket spread out on the ground and got a great view of the whole thing. These cannons would shake the ground. It was amazing.
We were seated closer to the Mexican side of the battle so we saw their part of the battle more clearly. Once some pyrotechnics went off and the hay near their cannons caught on fire. Not part of the plan. They got the fire put out though.
Chuck took so many great pictures. I wish I could share them all.
.
We did a lot of walking to see the sights and also because we had to park so far away. We bought some street food to share with each other for lunch. Did you know that they don't sell any healthy options at these places?! Chuck and I shared some fajita nachos and some shrimp po boy. I didn't have a whole lot so I think I did decently.
.
It was a lot of fun and we were all pretty exhausted by the end of the day.
.
Sunday:
.
Chuck cooks another great breakfast for us all. I had planned to go running but standing up all day on Saturday made my legs hurt pretty bad. Mostly behind my knees. I didn't feel like getting out there and making it worse.
.
Mom has to go home and I have to take Rachel to a teen meet up at the mall. Drop her off and head to Cost Plus World Market. I love that store! So many cool things. I got some wine and this little guy:
Bacon and chocolate together? I was sceptical but I couldn't leave without it. You know what? It's really good! You don't get a bacon taste with it. Mostly just a little smoky salty flavor every now and then. You know it's good. Think about when you've had pancakes and some of the bacon gets in the syrup. That sweet and salty go so well together. I'd love to have a giveaway of some of this stuff. Just so you can say you've tried it. Bacon is, after all, the candy bar of meat. :)
.
Sunday was my worst day as far as eating and calories go. I was just terrible. The rest of the weekend I made sure that I stayed within my calorie range but not on Sunday. So I need to work hard this week.
.
It's Monday now. Back to reality and exercising and counting calories and doing school with the kids. It's going to be another busy week. My niece is staying the week with us. I'll post as often as I can.
.
Hope you all have a terrific week!

10 comments:

  1. Ooo I have been wanting to try that chocolate bar! Next time I see it somewhere I think I will splurge and buy it, I remember seeing the price and thinking wow...but it looks so good/unique!

    Great job getting lots of activity in and not letting one day over your calories turn into more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Santa Anna keeps trying... every year we have this battle, and every year, he loses. I guess the Battleship Texas being on site isn't a big enough deterrent.

    You did really well this weekend! Especially considering how easy it would have been to get totally off track.

    We should start running together in the evening so we can keep each other accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos! Not too sure about the candy bar...a little strange. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, I bought that candy bar on my last day in Texas in December. But then my dad ran over my foot so it stayed in my car for like a month after I got home and by the time I remembered it, it was all melty and weird. I got it at that Spec's Gourmet Food Store downtown...do you ever go there? So much crazy stuff! Even rum cake in a can! I love that store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the run - go you, indeed! I like the idea of picking a landmark to run toward...Jenny has us sprint from light post to light post, which is good, too. Glad you are getting back into running!

    Hmmm, bacon chocolate? Love your description of bacon being the candy bar of meat...so true, but not sure I would try it. That said, you'll probably find me at our local Cost Plus this week, lol!

    Your weekend sounds like fun - and yeah, lots of food, but you don't eat huge portions so you probably didn't eat that much. Back to reality today (for me, too).

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! Rockstar!

    You are doing so great, and it makes me feel pumped to continue running!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bacon is the candy bar of meat? ROFL. Too damn funny. Great photos too, btw. Thanks for the giggles. ;) - Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  8. my hubs loves the bacon chocolate. I think its edible but I wouldn't choose it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Their bacon chocolate covered toffee is really awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bacon is definitely the candy bar of meat!!! Still...not sure I could mix it with chocolate, lol. Good job on the run! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)