Thursday, April 29, 2010

Life's a Beach

Wednesday was such a beautiful day that I just got a wild hair and took the kids to the beach.

I picked up some Little Caesar's pizza (I know..very healthy, right? It was cheap.) and we had a picnic at Galveston Island State Park. We also had some beggars watching us eat.
Galveston is not known for its beautiful beaches but it was very nice today. The beach was clean, the sand was whitish, and the water was blue green. I had also picked up a big bag of sand toys for the kids on the way. They got right to work building sand castles.
Charlie has always enjoyed building. He could spend hours doing this.
The water was still pretty cold. It took a while to get acclimated. Here Rachel and my niece try to decide if they want to stay in the water or get out.
Rachel had fun looking at shells and digging up little clams and watching them burrow back into the sand.
Rachel and Katelyn found some pretty shells and handfuls of clams.
The whole gang decided to go swimming. I put down my camera and its inferior camera, took off my bodybugg, and joined them. It was so cold at first but you get used to it. We rode the waves and splashed around and had a great time.
The park has rinse off showers now and very nice bathrooms. They are still recovering from hurricane Ike. The lady at the office told me that they are going to build a completely new park in a few years. They are working on the plans now. I'm glad because we have so many great memories of camping at this park.
.
For my other camping friends who might be in the area, the park now has some sites with water and electric and they have bathrooms with showers now. The hurricane really did a number on this place. The back row of camping sites is now the front row. Ike has claimed a few yards of the Texas coast and the beach has moved forward.
.
After rinsing off and getting changed into some dry clothes, we headed over to the bay side of the park across the highway. I took the kids on a short trail where Charlie caught a hermit crab for us to watch then release. We also got to see a blue crab.
.
It was a great day. No one really wanted to head home but I insisted at 5pm that it was time to make our way back.
.
Got home and made a healthy chicken teriyaki dish with lots of veggies over rice.
.
And I'd like to share something that I spotted recently:
Dude! I want to drive like a Rock Star! Love the truck.
.
Some sad news: I put it off as long as possible. Last night I got an email from an organizer of the Galloway Training Team in Houston. She was so upbeat and said to look for her and she wanted me on her team, etc. She sent me some postcard attachments of the big kickoff happening this weekend. I finally had to tell her that I can't join this season. Things are kind of dry where my hubby works. They are predicting a lean summer. I have to save money where I can. No big expenses for a while.
.
I did tell her that I wanted to join in next season. And I'm also going to be training on my own. It's disappointing but I won't let it stop me. I'm going to be my own drill sergeant and push myself to run my first half marathon. I want to have my mini van proudly sport an oval 13.1 sticker. :)
.
My friend Connie is going to be having a couple of giveaways this week. Be sure to check out her blog when you get a chance.
.
One more day left in April. May 1st is this Saturday. Time to think about your goals for next month. What do you want to achieve? What is your plan to get to your goal? Please share in the comments. I know we can all glean motivation from each other. Whether you want to lose weight or you want to achieve a fitness goal, leave me a comment and share.
.
I'll be posting my goals tomorrow. And I will be sticking to them. I'll be showing myself some tough love in May.
.
Oh and I also turn 39 in May. But inside I'm still 17. :)







7 comments:

  1. I love your spontaneity! (I also love spell check, LOL). The day at the beach looked so nice - I still can't believe I've never been to a Texas beach. One of these days (hope is still alive, if you know what I mean)...

    Sorry you can't do the Galloway program. I really would like to, but it's just not in the cards. We can create our own training program - god knows between the two of us we've got enough books and magazines on running! And I am looking forward to May 1st - it is SO time to buckle down again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taking the kids to the beach, and now that the weather is warmer I am hoping to go every week. My only regret is that I feel way too big to be enjoying the beach.

    I want to spend as many days on the beach this summer with the boys, so I am overdue for a fitness makeover.

    The Fit & Frugal Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tuesdays a lg peperoni at Little Ceasars is $3.99. I know it's not healthy but sometimes you've gotta eat pizza. And if you're going to do it you may as well not pay a whole lot. :)

    I was trying to think of something fun to do with my girls this afternoon. We don't live close to a beach but there is always the park. Or maybe the library.

    I understand about lean times. I'm not fundraising fr the american cancer society this yr b/c I'm not sure how long my job will be around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, you Cuteness!
    Early, in May, ya know.
    You are just a puppy in this big world.
    And a Rock Star DELUXE!
    Dude!
    Cool pics of a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pics of the family. I wish we lived near water. There's just something about watching a river, lake, or ocean that makes me feel connected to my faith and the world. Thanks for letting me do that through you. Hugs, Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's an award waiting for you on my blog today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the shout out! I'm running behind on getting the items up but hopefully in the morning! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)