Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole

I have a lot of catching up to do. Seems like I've been busy from the time I wake up until the time I went to bed.

Good news: I think I've finally recovered from allergies. I had a couple more off days last week but I think the worst is over. It was tough this year!

OK, I tried a new recipe that was soooooo good. It doesn't look too pretty but the flavor is great. Trust me. Hey, even my kids ate it. That should tell you something. :)

Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole

Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole

1 can fat free cream mushroom soup (I used cream of celery)
1 can fat free cream chicken soup
1 can water
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes with chilies (I blended it so there were no chunks)
1 1/2 c rice
1 pkg taco seasoning
cilantro and green onions chopped (optional)
frozen boneless,skinless chicken breasts (I used defrosted & chopped chicken into chunks)
shredded cheddar cheese

13x9 in glass casserole dish with cooking spray. whisk soups, water and taco seasoning in bowl then pour into bottom of dish. sprinkle rice over soups. place chicken breasts FROZEN over soup and rice. pour beans and tomatoes over chicken, cilantro and green onions sprinkled on top. Cover with foil, bake 350 degrees 1 hour,40 min. remove foil, sprinkle shredded cheese over to melt.

Servings: 12
Calories:240.5
Fat: 2.8g
Carbohydrates: 19.1g
Protein: 32.6g



Friday we took the kids to pick strawberries at Froberg's Vegetable Farm. There were strawberries everywhere! The pictures don't do it justice. I have never seen so many berries. Charlie got right to it.
Rachel is a strawberry fiend. She could have just sat there and eaten them all morning.
There were some really strange shaped ones and some enormous ones.
We picked way more than we had planned. It's kind of hard to stop once you start picking.
Now I have a kitchen counter overflowing with berries. We're going to make a strawberry pie and then freeze most of the rest for making smoothies.
.
The farm had big flats of small strawberries already picked and on sale for $2 per box! We had enough berries to last us a while. :)
.
I have so many pictures to share of Saturday and Sunday happenings but I'll space them out between posts so I don't overwhelm you. LOL
.
Eating has been great up until Friday then it was not too terrific. Saturday was good until dinner time. Friday was not too great but not terrible. Sunday was busy nonstop. Had lunch with Shelley at Pappasitos. I had a few chips and some cheese dip and a bit of burrito. I'll tell you all about that in a post soon. And after grocery shopping and other errands we ended up at our favorite Chinese restaurant. But my calorie burn was fantastic on Sunday. :)
.
Now that the allergies are out of the way I am happy to have my exercise groove back on. I've got to find some time to catch up with blogs!
.
Hope you had a wonderful weekend.

12 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a great time picking strawberries.

    How are things going? I have talked with you for a long time.

    I'm starting over...again... check out my diet blog. You have really encouraged me in the past, I could use it again.

    The rice looks great, I might just have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe looks great and I love Mexican anything.Glad your allergies are better. Mine is in a stop and go mode. We been to N.& S Carolina and not back to Arkansas. I tried all the pollen in 4 states. There is no such thing as good pollen I concluded

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? Space out posts?!? I've never heard of such a thing! (stay tuned for another epic recap tomorrow, lol).

    Those strawberries look so good. I really should do that - although I know I'd end up like you and have way more fresh berries than I could use.

    It was so great to see you again today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love picking fresh fruits. Never been there, must check it out. You look great, btw! Glad the allergies are giving you a break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like SOOO much fun and Oh EM GEE that casserole looks delish!! Glad you're keeping your head up! Allergy are terrible this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's strawberry season again? Yes! That monster berry is an eye-popper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love Strawberries.... and have to try your recipe - you share such yummy ones.

    Answer to your ?? from today - I used to track my food but don't anymore because I kind of eat the same thing all the time. I know what my problem is, and how to correct it - but I don't. And it seems that at my age, doesn't matter how much exercising I am doing, if I don't stop these "bad" habits (even if it is a LOT less frequency than before), then I will never get to where I want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow- that recipe looks amazing! I've saved it!

    I LOVE strawberries and want to visit a patch to pick some this year too!

    Glad that the allergies are over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh those strawberries..... I would be a dangerous person in those patches :D

    Thanks for the recipe - it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The recipe looks amazing!!!! I can't wait to make it! and wow!!! Those strawberries look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made your Mexican dish this morning and brought it to work for all to try. Happy results. Very good.
    Betty

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)