Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Queen of Maintaining

April has not been a glorious month of weight loss for me. I've been a slacker. There, I admit it. But I have maintained my 190 pounds quite nicely, thank you very much.

Monday I took the kids (including my niece who is spending the week with us) to Brazos Bend State Park for a little hike. It turned into a nice 5 mile hike where we saw all kinds of neat stuff: alligators, bullfrogs, birds, beautiful flowers, blackberries growing wild.

At one point there were three alligators in the path. I wasn't exactly sure what to do. Me, being the Miss Adventure that I am, shooed a gator away. It got up and moved a little out of the way then just layed down with his legs spread out. He made it clear that he didn't want anything to do with us.

There was another part where a very large alligator way trying to sleep on the trail and another was just coming out of the water behind it, which meant we had to walk between two very large gators. When I say very large I mean about 10 feet. That's pretty big to me. But they weren't interested in us either. One of them even closed his eyes and went to sleep. Awwww, cute scary lizard. I shot a video of the whole thing. It was like Walking with Dinosaurs home edition.

Also saw birds eating crawfish, bullfrogs hopping across a path and even one alligator bellowing. Very cool stuff.

At the end of it all, the kids were pretty tired. I think I heard someone snoring from the back seat on the way home.

Tuesday we did school most of the day and then it was time to take Rachel to her dance workshop. She is learning how to two step, jitterbug, and other fun stuff. Some of the girls like to dance barefoot so Rachel thought she would try that too. It probably works out well if your partner knows how to dance. If he doesn't, you end up with a bleeding toe and a crushed toenail. Poor Rachel.

While she was in dance class I took the kids to a scenic park and walked around. It was such a gorgeous day.

Tuesday I was feeling really low about weight loss, exercising....really everything. I even caught myself making negative comments. "I'll never lose this weight so why bother." I was feeling defeated and I'm not really sure why. Was it the scale that seems to go no lower than 190? Was it that I haven't exercised on a regular schedule? What was it? I had some sweet tea vodka and a piece of fudge.

I just felt so poorly about myself and I have no idea why. Biggest Loser was a help. I felt so motivated after watching that. It kind of slapped me back into the right frame of mind. I needed that.

Wednesday: Today I am feeling optimistic again. I am looking forward to May so I can start with a clean slate and make a new start. A renewed dedication to keeping on schedule and watching every single thing that goes into my mouth and losing weight.

Is there anyone else out there that needs May to be a clean slate? A new start? A renewed dedication? You're free to join me and we can encourage each other along the way. Let's face it: weight loss has got to be one of the most difficult goals to achieve. But we can do it! It's not easy but it is worth it.

9 comments:

  1. You can DO IT!

    I just wrote a post last night that I am going to post in the next day or two about things I am looking forward to in May, things I WILL do in May...it made me look forward to May!

    Your trip to the park sounds like SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat Kelly. I'm just about where I started this month. I was losing weight but have gained that few pounds back

    :(

    I'm getting back on board with you ok?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I am ready to join you - let's make May OURS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happened to wonder over here from another blog and thought I would check things out. Like what I see so now I'm following you. Look forward to reading your blog in the future.

    If you get a chance swing by my blog and say hello.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am great at maintaining - have done it for about a year now I think. Sucks.... :)
    I'm planning on the new plan for when I get back from vacation in May. I'm wiping the slate clean and making sure it's clean going in or I'm not eating it. I've been exercising my arse off and still not losing anything. And what I've been putting into my body hasn't been all that bad so I need to think about a different approach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Kelley,

    that hike sounds like it was really fun, you even got to seem some docile gators. I'm glad you didn't let the negative thoughts get to you!

    I found your blog while searching for unique and helpful content on weight loss.  I think you could benefit from sharing your personal story to those seeking connection to other people who are in similar situations regarding weight loss. Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network (HBN) is comprised of over 3,000 of bloggers who motivate and support each other through 150 communities. 

    For more information about joining, please visit http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

    Best,
    Hua
    Director of Blogger Networks

    ReplyDelete
  7. "awe, cute scary lizard."
    snorted and ran iced tea up my nose the wrong way.

    thanks for the flush! ;)

    hugs, kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, do I ever need a fresh start? I've started today but I'd be ready to kick it up a notch in May with you! :) What a crazy hike! I'd be scared to death. You are one brave woman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't alligators run like 35 mph??? lol I don't think I would have been cavorting with the scary lizards, lol.

    April has been MY month, thank God. After SEVERAL months of playing around with the same 10 lbs, I finally got back in the game. Hope I stay there...that fudge sounded damn tasty, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)