Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tater Tot Casserole

Day by day I'm feeling better and better. I've never had allergies affect me like this. Ever. I read that pollen are really just the sperm cells of plants which grosses me out to no end.

I have healthified my family's favorite casserole as much as possible. I present to you Healthified Tater Tot Casserole.
I forgot to take a picture before I served dinner. Oops!

Tater Tot Casserole
1 lb. ground extra lean turkey
1 can Healthy Request cream of celery soup (you could use cream o' chicken)
about 1/2 cup of milk
1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar
can of corn
1 bag of frozen tater tots
.
Cook the turkey with your favorite seasonings (seasoned salt, pepper, lots of onion powder, etc)
Add the cream of celery. Drain the corn into the soup can. Now add enough milk to the drained corn water in the soup can to fill it up. Add the milk mixture and corn to the turkey. Stir well. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Top with shredded cheese. Top with tater tots. Cook at 350 in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. Place under the broiler until the tater tots are browned and crispy. Serve and enjoy. I serve mine with salad.
.
Yield: 6 servings nutritional info calculated on Spark Recipes Calories 466; Fat 18.7g; Carbs 47.8g; Fiber 4.7g; Protein 27.4g
.
My family loves this so much. We don't have it often but when I do they clean their plates. Plus it's so easy to make.
.
.
Tuesday I took Rachel to her chemistry class. She gets to make cream puffs to study about chemical reactions! When I was in chemistry I had a dirty old man who wore brown leisure suits and smelled like whiskey and cigars. He always hugged me and gave me cupcakes and candy bars then told me how men could have more than one wife in some countries. I never had to study in that class because he always gave me an A. Ugh. I would have rather made cream puffs.
.
.
I've noticed a lot of people running lately. I don't know if there are more people outside running because of the weather or I'm just noticing it more because I feel like I should be running too. I've just not felt right the past couple of weeks. I've got to get my exercise groove back.
.
I've also noticed that people react differently to people running than they do people walking. Exhibit A: I saw a woman running on the side of the highway near our neighborhood. Traffic literally came to a halt around her. But if someone were to walk it would be no big deal.
.
It's a phenomena that I've witnessed more than once. People can't help but stare at runners. But why? If it were only men slowing down to watch women run I'd have a pretty good idea why they were watching. (remember Bay Watch and the slow running scenes?) But women watch other women, men slow down for other men.
.
I think it's because we start wondering why people are running.
"Why are you running so fast?! Should I be running too? Are you running to something or away from something? Are you a criminal? Are you in a hurry? What's going on that would cause you to run?!!! Where are you going?!"
.
So now every time I see someone running, Rachel and I start saying, "Where are you going? Is there a fire? Did you rob a house? Is Godzilla on the loose? Should I be running with you or in the opposite direction?!"
.
I really have to get back on track with exercising. I always made fun of those commercials for pills that showed people unable to leave their homes because they were afraid of flowers and trees. Then they'd take a magical pill and could suddenly mountain climb and hike through forests with a smile. Now I understand.
.
I would like to mention that even though exercise has been MIA I have been watching all of my calories and staying on track. :) Yeah, for small victories.
.
My goal: cross train on Weds by going swimming or walking; run on Thursday; cross train Friday with walking or Turbo Jam; Saturday off except for a bird watching expedition; Sunday 6K with Shelley and my family.

10 comments:

  1. Tator Tot Casserole is seriously both of my brother in laws favorite recipe. Maybe add some greens along with the corn. (although they tell me veggies ruin it completely lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - I love tater tots. I'll have to try your recipe as it look pretty healthy.
    It's hard to get back into the exercising habit once you've taken a short break from it but you've got to just get back at it girl! Once you start up again, you will feel much better. Get going inside where it's safer. Like you mentioned, get those TJ DVDs out and shake your booty, or get on your treadmill. It will be like naturally breathing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That casserole...O.M.G.

    As for the runner theory, my money's on the fast-moving zombies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. stinkin' pollen! doesn't sound fun at all!!

    the tater tot casserole looks AWESOME!! def going to have to try this one out!!

    i know how it is telling yourself you need to get back into your workout groove...im in the same place Kelly!! Ok...so together this week will get back into it!! Deal? Deal!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That video was hysterical! Why would you start running the same way! I would have done what the first guy did, move over and look like "What the f-!" Then keep walking!

    Glad you are starting to feel better.

    I think that casserole would be a recipe for disaster! I would eat the whole thing! I ♥ tator tots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Very Funny Prank clip AND what you and Rachel say when you see runners - you are making me laugh today!!!

    Glad you are feeling well enough to get back to some exercising...so many people around here have been knocked on their butts by allergies this year. Ease into it...and I can't wait to see you guys on Sunday!

    P.S. Your chemistry teacher? Ewww.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what you and Rachel say when you see runners- very funny!

    Great job on the exercise plan.

    The recipe looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How funny is that video..
    Too funny....
    Tater tots ...Kelly, you are the whole package deal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Allergies can kick your butt in ways you didn't even know was possible. I'm lucky pollen isn't a big one of mine since my little green car has a nice yellow tint this week. Glad you are starting to pick back up and escape the land of allergy zombie.

    The tater tot casserole is something my mother would LOVE! I'll have to try it for her whens he visits this spring.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)