Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Let's Work it Out

The best kind of exercise is when you're having so much fun that you don't even realize you're burning off calories. You're not worried about calories and speed and distance. Just having a good time.

Tuesday Rachel had her last chemistry class which lasts 2 hours. I needed to get some exercise so I took Charlie walking through the neighborhood by the class. There were geocaches all along the route and he had a great time spotting them. We laughed and talked and the time flew by. At our 9th cache I looked at my watch and realized I only had 30 minutes before I had to get Rachel. Oh no!!!

We walked really fast on the way back and that's when the whining started. Exercise isn't exercise when you're having fun but as soon as the fun ends the whining starts. Charlie acted like he was about to die but as soon as we got within sight of the van he miraculously was alive again and started running towards the car. Kids. :-/

In all we did 3.78 miles in 1 hour 43 minutes. The best part is that I got to take a lovely walk with my son.

I had a great calorie burn for the day: 2565 My deficit was -1310!! And my weight is down to 187. It feels good to be dropping this weight.

Wednesday is my run day according to my handy dandy notebook. I once again dragged Rachel along for the fun. During our warm up walk we were talking about her goal race (the Galveston Seawall 10K) and I was trying to get her excited about it. She shared that she is afraid of the race. I understand completely. I'm pretty scared of the half marathon. But that's why we train now. Our training will prepare us for our goals. Right now we'd have a tough time finishing either race. I'm not saying it would be impossible but it would be difficult, to say the least.

Monday we ran a 2:1 ratio (2 minutes running, 1 minute walking) for 30 minutes. There was weeping and gnashing of teeth. Today I thought we would try a 30:30 ratio (run 30 seconds, walk 30 seconds) for 30 minutes to see how it went. There was still general complaining but I did not hear "I can't" once from her. Yeah! Small victories. There was a little drama when a side stitch decided to show up on the scene but we discussed that side stitches are really harmless though painful. Deep breaths should be taken, not shallow little gasps. And we worked through it.

The last 30 second interval I asked her to give it all she had and I was going to do the same. It's ok if we have different ideas of what that might be. Just run your butt off for those 30 seconds. We both did it! 2.16 miles in 31.20 minutes

I got another high five and "I did it" from her. Want to end the runs on an encouraging note. :)

I must say that I felt freakin' terrific after those intervals. I could have kept going and going. I still had energy after it was all over. And I'm so thankful for my Garmin Forerunner so I don't have to watch the time. It beeps when it's time to run and when it's time to walk and does a little digital victory "song" when the whole thing is over. Love me some gadgets.


I don't mean to sound impatient but I'm so ready to be out of this whole weight loss mindset and into maintenance. I'm ready to be at goal and wearing the cutest of clothes. I'm ready for this huge belly roll to be history. It takes time, I know, but sometimes I get a little bit sick of the day to day struggles.

It can take me an hour to burn 400 calories but only 5 minutes to take in 400 calories. It can take a week for me to burn off 3500 calories but only a meal or two to take in 3500 calories. That's why it's so difficult to lose this stuff but so easy to gain weight.

The struggle continues. I am happy to say that I've been enjoying the journey to fit. There have been so many new experiences and more in the plans. I'd like to make it as much like my walk with Charlie as possible: I'm having so much fun along the way that I don't even realize that I'm working towards my goal.

10 comments:

  1. Great workouts :)

    Im having a giveaway on my blog:
    http://dailylifewithm.blogspot.com/2010/05/giveaway-classy-and-sassy-charms.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to see that you are doing something great for your body, and you are including your children in it, too! It's very inspiring and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with the running and setting a good example with your kids! I am sure you and Rachel will rock your races this fall!

    Honestly I would say take your time and enjoy weight loss mode. I find maintenance (basically what I've been doing for the last year, even though I'd like to lose another 20 lbs or so) much harder. People get used to how you look and the compliments/encouragement doesn't come as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but what is the best way to keep track of your time when you are doing the run/walk method? Are you constantly resetting a stopwatch? I'm interested in running, but not really sure where to start. I'm at the beginning of my weight loss journey and have a LONG way to go. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how I feel too. I wanna enjoy this whole process instead of dreading it so much. You're doing SO great, Kelly. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another day of training in the books! Great job, all of ya!

    And man, what you wrote about how much effort it takes to burn calories vs how easy it is to ingest them is so scary and true. I know how you feel about wanting to be done with losing - it's hard to work so much and still have the flab, but you are really rocking the weight loss/muscle gain now and I'll bet your body is changing so much right now - a couple of months and you won't recognize yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly, I have a Garmin Forerunner which looks like a HUGE watch. I can set the interval times and it beeps when it's time to run.

    There are also podcasts such as the one for the Couch to 5k that you can download to an mp3 player that tell you when to run and walk.

    Here is a free podcast with 30:30 interval: http://www.motiontraxx.com/jeffgalloway/

    For $20 you can get a run/walk interval timer here: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/detail.aspx?ID=49

    Or there are watches like the Timex Ironman Triathlon watch for about $60.

    Good luck on your journey. You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great workouts Kelly. I think it's great you get your kids involved. I am so enjoying my time with my daughter training for our walking adventure in September.
    I too love my Garmin. When I am doing my running intervals outside, I set it to what I want and off I go. Sometimes I can't hear that little beep though and need to make sure my watch is not covered up. Otherwise, I LOVE my Garmin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are an exemplary parent to get your kids so active along with you...simply terrific!

    The only difference between losing the weight and maintaining the weight should be the lack of a caloric deficit.

    Yes...it is a well duh type of statement but take heart that you are already doing terrific with your new lifestyle...you are already living it.

    If the other remaining difference is the cute clothes, don't wait...you deserve some rewards along the way too...buy something nice!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)