Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mean People Suck

Wow, it's been a while since I posted! So where have I been? It's kind of a long story but I'll try to make it as short as possible.

My mom came for a visit on May 14th. While we were talking she told me that while she was cutting my grandmother's hair (her MIL), the old coot reached over with a finger and poked her belly fat then shook her head in disgust. Then she asked my mom if I had gained weight too. My mom said, "No. She runs a lot and runs 5Ks." Then my grandmother says, "But is she fat?"

I haven't seen my grandmother in years. She has never been my biggest fan and it used to bother me as a kid. She would do things to make sure I knew that she didn't like me. For instance, at Christmas she would give all of the grandkids some money but leave me out. On purpose! She would also make comments from time to time. And it hurt.

What's weird is that her other granddaughter (my half sister) is overweight but that's ok. She likes her.

Mean people suck!!!

The whole thing messed with my head a little and brought back a grab bag of emotions and insecurities. I stopped wearing my bodybugg, stopped counting calories, stopped running and stopped caring for about a week. I was in my own little depression.

Chuck, my biggest support, made a comment before we went to sleep one night and it really brought me back around: "Please don't give up." Something about the way he said it. It kind of snapped me out of my little funk and helped me come back to myself.

I'm glad I took that time off from running now because the back of my knee is no longer hurting. Yeah! At least some good did come out of it. :)

I'm back to wearing the bodybugg and running now. Sorry for the little disappearing act and little pity party episode. Why are relatives so good at messing with our minds?

Here are a few things that have happened since I last posted:

*Mother and niece and nephew came for a weekend visit
*Rachel baked a birthday cake for niece with a shih tzu on it
*started the Houston Nature Challenge at the kickoff at Discovery Green on a rainy Saturday
*went on a road trip to Lake Texana for a geocaching challenge
*Charlie laughed so hard on that road trip that chocolate malt came out of his nose
*had two different snakes come into my backyard. Both yellow bellied water snakes.
*pet a baby alligator
*ate a bacon and cheese flavored cricket
*took a class to volunteer feeding baby birds at the Texas Wildlife Rehabilitation Coalition
*went mother/daughter geocaching
*taught the kids about ancient Greece then took them to see Clash of the Titans in 3D (it was not 3D and I don't think it was historically accurate)
*Ran 5 miles (1:1 ratio of walk/run)
.
Even though I was in a little funk, I stayed pretty busy. :)
My birthday is this Friday. May 28th. Chuck is taking me on our first overnight canoe trip. We will be sleeping on a sandbar without electricity! I'm a little nervous and very excited. This week I'll be getting ready for that but still finding time for exercise and teaching the kids.
.
I'd like to say a big THANKS to Shelley for checking in on me. It's nice to have people who worry about you when you disappear. :)
**EDIT: 1 (1.4 gram) box of crickets is 9 calories, 1 gram of fat, .2g carbs and .5 g protein.

22 comments:

  1. Glad all is well. I stopped by last week to see if you were around, and noticed it had been some time. Sucks about your grandma but I am so glad you have let it go!
    You've been busy doing some pretty interesting stuff :)
    Have a great week Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back to blogging, I was wondering how you were doing! Your title says it all, mean people do suck! I have a relative that likes to make comments about how I dress (she thinks my clothes are too tight/revealing) and it always drives me up the wall. I just ignore it now and pretend like I don't hear what she says.

    Sounds like you've been keeping busy, happy early birthday and have fun on your trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly!! So glad to hear from you!! I kinda took my own hiatus...sounds like we were in the same boat for 2 weeks!! But the important thing is that we're back!!

    PS How close are you to Austin, TX?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bah, I had a grandma like that. I remember her starting a rumor that I was fired from a job b/c I was caught stealing and such. I have no clue why! I agree, they SUCK! I'm glad to see you've gotten out of your funk.

    Sounds like you've been pretty busy. It makes me miss TX! (I'll be visiting the Lone Star State in a few weeks, yay!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the best grandmother and the worst grandmother. I can remember the WG poking at my teeth and telling me how ugly they were. I am insecure about my smile b/c of her though people always say I have a great smile. Why are people mean? I am so glad you picked yourself up, dusted yourself off, and are back on track. I bought a shirt last night that had a cute little honey bee on it. It has the bee and then the word "nice." Be Nice. Is it that hard people????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just thought you weren't speaking to any of us :(

    Glad you're back :)

    Wait a minute... you ate what??? How many points is a cricket? My WW book doesn't cover this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about your grandmother! It's a shame, but I'm glad you have supportive family out there that can help you through your funk.

    How many calories were those crickets?? :)

    Happy Early Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad you are back...I went thru my own junk recently too. I think we might have the same grand mother -lol...I totally understand how you feel and mine is just as mean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, glad you're back!

    Chuck > Gramma...any day of the week!

    Rachel's cake skills are growing exponentially! Love the puppy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my GOD! I thought *I* was the only one with a mean granny! MEN PEOPLE DO SUCK! THEY SUCK ASS!!!!Mt granny died 8 years ago, but she never liked me (or my siblings). She favored her sister's children & treated THEM like grandchildren. OHHHHH the stories I could tell about this lady. The #1 thing had to be...she refused to call me by my name. She liked the name Jennifer better, so that's what she called me. It just happened to my my cousin's name. One of the kids she liked. It wasn't by mistake either. She totally did it on purpose. Ridicule us. Give my cousins money left and right. Oh, and she HATED my dad. She was in a nursing home for several years before passing away, she would literally growl like a wild animal at my dad. Showed her teeth and everything. KOOKY!

    ReplyDelete
  11. MEAN people. Not men. lol I said "men people suck" in my last comment. I'm not a man hater. Pinky swear. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are back :) I don't know how some people can't just simply think before they speak! If you can't say something nice ... you know the rest :) Especially a relative! geez! My mother told me the other day I would be shorter if I lost some weight - wtf? I didn't know weight had anything to do with height?! LOL ... guess just a way for her to tell me to get going on losing some inches!! ha ha ... Anyways, I want to tell you that you are a beautiful woman just as you are, even if you didn't lose another pound! You have a wonderful husband who loves you and two awesome children so who gives a rat ass what Grandma thinks anyways!! You go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Kelly...glad to see you're back. That really sucks about your grandma...I can't even imagine having a mean grandma. Want me to send you some socks to make you feel better? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you're back...and that you responded to my email - I worry, you know! :)

    Relatives are the only people who can get away with acting like complete a-holes and we still let them stay in our lives, ONLY because they are related...would you keep a friend who treated you like that? Of course not! I so feel your pain. And I'm sure your mom was not thinking when she told you what your grandma said - there was no need to pass that on.

    Yay Chuck for reminding you that you are doing this for yourself and him and your kids - and they are the ones who deserve a happy, healthy Kelly.

    Now. A cricket? You didn't say...did it taste good? Petting an alligator? Canoe camping? You have more adventure in your little finger than I have in my entire body!

    Glad you are back to running (pain-free, woohoo!) - we have some adventure ahead of us!

    P.S. Rachel's cake is so cute - that dog is perfectly relaxed-looking, and her flowers are so pretty...she's really good at this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I kept coming over and wondering where you were! I had a feeling something was amiss. I'm glad you are back!! I hope my package gives you a little pick-me-up -should be there any day now :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What makes family think they can say whatever the freak they want? I'm sorry she messed with your head. I'd have let it get to me, too. We have to learn not to give power to the crap people say...whoever they are.

    Rachel's cake is absolutely awesome! Crickets? Really? You are such a brave woman. I'm glad your back to writing. Can't wait to hear about your b-day trip. Again, you are so brave :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm definitely going to take up eating crickets at such low calories! :)

    I'm so glad that you're back. I know how someone's rude comments can really set you back. It's hard to act like you don't care sometimes.

    When reading this, I could definitely relate. My GMA passed away recently and I miss her dearly. When she was alive she would always comment on weight and I often felt fat because she would comment on how thin my sister was and would give her money and not me. But the year before she died, she sent me money too. So that kind of made things feel better for me. :) But I know how painful it is! *Hugs*

    BTW, my hubby and I like to geocache too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mean people do suck....
    So glad you are well.....
    I miss you when you are not around.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh girl...lemme just tell you. We ALL have family members like that...and yes, it sucks. It's the worst kind of messing with your head. Family's supposed to love you unconditionally, no matter what...and sometimes, well...you already know. I'm sorry you had to go through that, I really am. I felt the sting and sadness just reading about it. But I am SO GLAD you're back around, and just as glad that you have such an awesome, awesome support in your husband. He really sounds terrific, and sometimes all it takes is just knowing that the one VERY special person in your life really, truly cares and believes in you. I believe in you, too...and I'm glad you're back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. P.S.

    Your daughter is an AMAZING cake decorator...that really blows me away! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Old people suck .. LOL Bin there heard that... ARGGGGGG!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wait...Are we first couisins? That sounds like my grandmother. It's tough. It took me a long time not to feel like a bad person b/c I can stand her. I let that go in college (long story). Dont let her get to you. Glad you're back, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)