Monday, May 10, 2010

Summer Kick Off 5k and Mother's Day

Saturday was the last Summer Kick Off 5K run. They've had this race for 19 years in honor of James Glenn who died when he was 19 years old from a heart condition.

Chuck was supposed to race with Rachel and I but he was too sick. I hated leaving him at home. This is the first time he was not able to go to one of the races as my pit crew.

We left the house that morning at 6:30am which is waaaay too early for a night owl like me. I put on my beautiful necklace that Shelley had given to me. (Thanks, Shelley. I love it!!!) It was so sweet of her to send this. I really needed that little boost.
We arrived at the race shortly after they started handing out packets. Even though there were so many people here they were efficient and we didn't have to wait in line at all.

Charlie's race was first at 7:30am. I only had my cell phone so the pics are not great. Look at all of those kids!!!
Charlie on the way to the finish line. Go!!! Go!! Go!!!I gave Charlie my car keys and cell phone and had him sit on a curb near the start/finish line. I was a little freaked out leaving him there while I ran but there really wasn't another way. People at these events seem to watch out for each other. So he held my stuff and played his Nintendo DSi.
.
Before the race started my stomach started cramping. Great! I do not need this before the race even starts. Fortunately there were no port-o-potties. We had the real thing here. I've never run a race with stomach problems. I've read about people who have though. I'm telling you that this is one experience that you do not want to have. But the show must go on.
.
There were so many people that it took Rachel and I a few seconds to cross the start line after the race started. Then we were off. For the first quarter mile it was so crowded that you had to really go slow. Slower than usual for me which is really slow. Then the crowd started to disperse and we were on our way.
.
Rachel hung in there with me for the first half mile then had to take a walk break. At mile one I always start wondering the same thing that I always do at races: why am I doing this? I hate running. Can I get out of it right now? I swear I'm never doing this again. Bad attitude, right? Please keep in mind that my stomach was hurting pretty badly, my knee was getting little shots of pain from time to time, one foot was bothering me (time for new shoes I think) and the humidity was 200% (which is really lame of humidity since the law of mathematics says it can only be 100% but it rarely obeys the law in Texas).
.
The last time I struggled so mightily with a race was my first one in 2008 when I ran a 53 minute 5K. I use the term "ran" very loosely here. This one seemed just as tough. Even though it was only 3.1 miles it felt like an endurance race.
.
At one point I asked a policeman if he would give me a ride to the finish line. Of course, I said it half jokingly. We laughed it off and I kept going. "Hahahaha. No, really. Can I have a ride back?"
.
Finally that finish line was within sight. No more walk breaks. I had to get there. I passed a teenage girl puking in some bushes. One old lady passed me running in sandals and denim shorts!! Really? Nice.
.
I slogged all the way in and even had a "cheerleader" comment on my smile. I said, "Yes! I can see the finish line!!!"
.
At the finish there were bubbles blowing and we were each given a cold, wet towel to refresh us. Then there was a water station and we were sent to the post race party. I found Charlie right were I left him and we waited to cheer in Rachel.
.
She told me after she crossed the finish line that after the first water station she almost hurled. She drank the whole cup of water. Not good. Her tummy did not like it and she struggled the rest of the way of the race. But she finished.
.
The post race party had two long lines of tables filled with bagels, cream cheese, cinnamon rolls, Subway sandwiches, cut oranges and bananas. Then there was an ice chest filled to the top with Blue Bell ice cream sandwiches. To the side there were large buckets filled with various bottles of soda and other refreshments. There were door prizes and a band.
.
We didn't have time for the door prizes. We grabbed some goodies and sat on a curb and talked about the race. This is the point where we start to forget about the pain of the race and begin to talk about future races. We were refreshed and the energy of the race kind of sweeps you up. Love it! Even though all of our run times were worse than usual, we had a great time. Do you really want to know my time? Please have mercy. Remember that I had some terrible problems going on. 41:48. Ugh.
.
I should also mention that I can no longer get an XL tee shirt for races. They are just too big. Time to go for L. Yeah!
.
I had to rush to take Rachel to Sims Bayou Urban Nature Center where she volunteered for a spring festival. She brought a change of clothes. Poor kid. We got there right before 10am and she changed and had to work until 3pm.
.
I went home and showered and stayed with my sick hubby. Then we all went to pick Rachel up. Got her home and cleaned up then it was time to meet Chuck's family for dinner at Texas Roadhouse.
.
After dinner we stopped and picked up a geocache at a local park. My Rachel slipped on some rocks and got some nasty cuts. Then it was off to the in-laws' house to visit for a while. Yep, it was a busy day and we all slept very soundly that night.
.
I'd also like to mention that I am so glad I got a running log. I use it for other things than running like what we did on certain days and what my calorie deficits were each day.
Sunday: Mother's Day
.
What a great day! Chuck got up and made us breakfast. He's feeling better. He and the kids had signed a beautiful card for me. Charlie gave me a couple of erasers, a card and a butterfly. Rachel made a cute bracelet with glass chili peppers and beads. I love my family. :)

After breakfast we went out geocaching for the day. I wanted nothing more than to spend the day with my family.
So much fun to find hidden treasures along the roads and in parks. The kids are getting really good at finding these. We found 10!
And we got to see pretty trails along the way.
We stopped for a picnic at Brazos Bend State Park. Cold pizza and soda. LOL mmmm....terrible. We had a good time laughing at Charlie who seemed to keep getting spiders on him. They would crawl right on him and he would start jumping around. Chuck thought it was so funny that Dr Pepper almost came out of his nose once. :)
.
We hiked all over the place out there. The GPS was not working right and we kept heading in different directions. At one point we blazed our own trail through tall weeds. Kind of spooky.
.
I will say that we worked up a sweat out there. I burned some major calories that day. I wish I would have worn my Garmin to tell me how many miles we walked.
.
We were all over the place. We ended up at Stephen F Austin State Park outside of Sealy. It was getting late so we grabbed that cache quickly and left. But there was one more cache outside of the park so we stopped for, what we thought would be, a quick cache. This was rough terrain. It was near the Brazos River which must flood sometimes and change the landscape of these woods. We climbed steep hills covered in brush, trees and thorn bushes. I found a pocketknife! Bonus. I think we all ended up with some bad cuts. We finally decided to give up and found a dead owl on the way out. But Chuck wanted to give it one more try so we headed back into the thick brush. Rachel found the cache at the top of a steep hill! yeah! And she found a tick on her. :(
.
We were a sweaty mess. No going inside a restaurant for us. Instead we went to a Wendy's drive thru and I got a spicy chicken sandwich combo. I haven't had one in a while and these are so good. They also happened to be giving out a free junior frosty with every combo. So we got our victuals and sat in the van under a tree in the parking lot and ate our dinner. Even though it may not sound too great to most, it was a wonderful and memorable Mother's Day for me.
.
And believe it or not, I actually had a decent calorie deficit each day!
.
Some weigh in news:
Finally the scale is moving again. I'm 188 pounds now!!!! I haven't seen the 180s in a long time. It feels good.
Hope your weekend was as great as mine. :)

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on being in the 180's and running the 5k! I always think no matter how long the race (5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon) the first mile or two is the hardest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I was feeling so bad yesterday and the rest of the weekend. Today is a new day, though, and I feel pretty good. Thanks for taking care of me in the midst of everything else you normally do on a given weekend.

    You have truly earned the title of 'Mom'.

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job finishing the 5K even with not feeling well. Congrats on the weight loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked the necklace and that you wore it on your run! I wore mine on Sunday and though of you while I was running along! And I'm so proud of all of you for finishing your races on Saturday!!! Charlie is turning into a real runner, and Rachel - what a trooper to continue even though she felt like puking! As for you, my Sole Sister, way to push through everything - the pain, the tummy troubles, the mental anguish...and I love how you were planning your next race almost immediately after - isn't that always the case?!?

    Congrats on the 188 - you are shrinking!!! Glad that you finally saw that the XL's are way too big on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great fun-filled weekend! Cute necklace! And I love your homemade gifts :)

    I'm a little confused about the geocache thing. I feel like you explained them before but I don't remember. What are they and who puts them there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great weekend, Kelly!

    Congrats on your race - who cares about time, you DID IT! Congrats to Rachel, too! Way to go, girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on the run and the 188!!! I can't wait to be there too

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? 188 pounds??? And running??? Who is this woman Kelly? Great job Kelly, so proud of you!

    And coming from a semi-city girl...what is geocaching? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on finishing the race even though you weren't feeling well! And getting to the 180's is definitely priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Sista, Sole Sista, Go Sista, Flow Sista!
    Lady Sugar Free Marmalade!
    Happy Sweet Mom's Day!

    By the way....I've graduated...up to RedLine!
    Not even Monster can touch this!
    (Can't touch this! Hammer time)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)