Monday, June 21, 2010

Birthday and Father's Day

Friday was my sweet hubby's birthday. For breakfast I took him out for to IHOP. Did you know that they have a menu where all of the items are 600 calories or less? I got the 400 calorie Two x Two x Two for me. I chopped up the turkey bacon and mixed it with my eggs and removed the butter from the pancakes. Very good and filling breakfast and low in calories!
Chuck has been battling a stomach virus and still wasn't feeling great so we just took it easy most of the day. We did drive out to a wildlife refuge but it was so hot that we just stayed in the car and enjoyed the drive. No hiking today.

It sucks to be sick on your birthday! Chuck doesn't really like celebrating birthdays anyway.

I was having trouble deciding what to get him for his birthday. Don't laugh but I got him a big water gun and a big styrofoam airplane and a bunch of his favorite candies. He worries about aging sometimes and I wanted to get something to make him feel like a kid. I got the kids and I water guns too so we could have a big water gun fight (which he haven't done yet). Looking back on it, I guess it was a cheesy gift. Oh well. I had good intentions! That counts for something, right?


Saturday my man was feeling better so we did a short geocaching trip to Hudson Woods. We only hiked for close to two miles but the heat sucked all of the energy out of us. We did end up with 5 caches found though!

The heat brings up another topic: exercise. More specifically: running.

I have been fretting over training for this half marathon in November. I'm so worried I won't be ready. My foot has been hurt and the heat kills me every time I even think about running. What am I supposed to do? I guess I could start trying to get up before the sun even rises but I'm just not sure I like running enough to do that. For this night owl to get up that early it better be for something I really love. Running doesn't make it in to that category.

You see, I have a love/hate relationship with running. I hate it almost every step of the way but I love the way I feel afterwards. Weird, right? So why would someone who really doesn't like the sport want to even train for a half marathon? I think to prove to myself that I can do it. Plus the swag is a big tempter. Yes, I want the medal. I want the right to get a "13.1" sticker for my miniature van.

I think I'm just going to do the best I can with running during the summer (running in the evenings, perhaps?) and see where I am in the fall. I should be able to give myself the permission to say "I'm just not ready" if the time should come and I'm still struggling. It's not the end of the world if I can't do it but I also don't want to let anyway down. Does that make sense?

We'll just see how it goes. I plan to run Tuesday and Thursday this week and see how my foot feels. Then, if things are going well, I'll try a longer run this weekend.

Sunday was Father's Day and Rachel made the cutest cake for Chuck!
The kids and I gave Chuck cards along with gift certificates to an online store and he loved everything. :)

My goal for this week:
Monday: 45 minutes cardio & strength training
Tuesday: 30 minutes running
Wednesday: 45 minutes cardio & strength training
Thursday: 30 minutes running
Friday: 45 minutes cardio
Saturday: off
Sunday: running or off. depends on how my foot feels

There. Now that it's in "print" I have to do it. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

  1. That cake is too cute. I love the feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday to Chuck! Today is Jeff's birthday - too funny! The cake is perfect! And I love the water gun idea for gifties...it's hard to come up with things, especially with their birthdays and Fathers day so close together.

    Now, about the running. I think you are worrying too much about it. November is a long way off and you have plenty of time to get ready for the half...and you absolutely can do it! Also, don't forget that there will be 5K races to run in October (I'm sure there will be some in your area; I know of two already here) and that will get you into the racing excitement again. Don't be too hard on yourself - just run a little bit while it's so freakin' hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding?
    The gifts were all perfect. Nothing cheezy about them whatsoever.

    LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. My half is the same weekend as yours! I run on that Sunday!

    I can relate to your running woes. I feel the same way off and on. Some days I think running and signing up for a half is just about the worst idea I ever had ;) Maybe we can try to help each other through it??? We have lots of time to train. I'm planning on doing Galloway for it. It's been the best for my IT band issues so far.:)

    Hope Chuck is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Cute cake! Happy Birthday to Chuck! I didn't know that IHOP has the delicious looking low cal menu, thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)