Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Good and the Bad

Don't you just love it when people say, "Do you want the good news or the bad news first?" Is there really ever a good time to receive bad news?

I'll give you the good news first. At least it was good for me.

I stuck to my exercise plan yesterday even though I didn't really want to and started thinking of excuses to get out of it. But I did it! That deserves a big high five!

45 minutes of Just Dance on the Wii and about 30 minutes of strength training.

The strength training is a dumbbell routine for a beach body from June issue of Oxygen magazine. I'm a little sore today.

Some Just Dance news: they're coming out with Just Dance 2 on October 12th! I'm pretty excited. There will be more features including a "sweat it out" program for those of us who use it to torch calories. Check out the video here.

I also tried chicken, spinach and feta sausages for the first time. 200 calories for 4 oz isn't too bad and they taste great. Sorry, forgot to take a picture.

Today is Tuesday and I'm supposed to run for 30 minutes. My foot did give me a reminder this morning to be gentle with it. I'm going to give it a try this evening when things cool off. This heat is something else!

Monday was the summer solstice. Happy Solstice! Now we can start counting down to fall, right? I'll tell you how hot it is here: there was a picture on the news of a feeder road (you out-of-towners may know it as a service road) that had buckled up because of the heat. People said they heard noise like thunder and thought we were having an earthquake. Right, in Houston. Anyway, they think it was caused by the intense heat.


Now for some bad news. Chuck's grandfather is in the hospital and not doing well. He was down in our area for Father's Day and was returning home with his daughter to the Austin area and complained that he didn't feel well and was having some trouble breathing. They took him to the ER and it was found that he has a blood clot in his lung. He's 88 years old. I'm not sure of the full story but I do know that he was sedated and that they had to resuscitate him 5 or 6 times. I expected him to die last night but he's a tough old bird and made it.

The bad thing is that he is ready to go. He lost his wife of over 60 years about 4 years ago and has missed her every single day since. He has told Chuck several times that he misses her and he's ready to go. Poor guy. I can't imagine.

It's tough losing someone. Funerals and near-death experiences make us face our own mortality and it's never easy. But they also have a good side in that they make you appreciate the people that you may take for granted. They make you realize how short life is and how it's important to seize every opportunity for happiness. They make you want to do the things that are on the "bucket list" instead of waiting for them to happen. They make you see a sunset in a new light.

As my fortune cookie says that I have on the fridge, "Many pleasurable and memorable adventures are in store for you!"

The other fortune says, "Don't put off till tomorrow what can be enjoyed today."

Hug someone you love today and seek adventure.

10 comments:

  1. Great job sticking with your exercise! I am sorry to hear about Chuck's grandfather, I hope everything turns out OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa is in my prayers...

    GREAT job on the workout yesterday!

    This heat is miserable...how do we forget year to year just how bad it is?

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ::High Five::

    Good going with the exercise!!!

    Hope your run went well this morning and you foot didn't bother you too much.

    Sorry about Chuck's Grandpa - that's hard, especially when he has verbalized that he's done. I hope today is a peaceful one for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man! Sorry for Chuck's grandpa! That's tough. It's so sad too that he has been so sad since losing his wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a NDE about 5 years ago...
    I think it's why I am work Hospice now...
    I know there is nothing to fear.

    Still its hard, and sad at times....hope Chuck's Grandfather and you can share some of those hugs you wrote about!

    And great about the dancing and working out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending prayers for Chuck's grandpa and all of you. Very sad to know he's in such grief.

    Super job on the workout! The Dance thing sounds like a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the exercise program. I don't know how you do it in the such heat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Grandpa is in my thoughts and prayers. My Dad was killed instantly in a car accident on April 13th. You are right, funerals, death and funeral homes definitely are a time for reflection.

    Jen
    http://jenslosinit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay cool and remember that this too, will pass.

    btw, Janna's right, you deserve a big congrats on your workout yesterday. I know how hard it can be to get motivated for a workout.

    I have to recommend Isabel's work over at www.TheDietSolutionProgram.com. You need to check it out when you get a chance.

    Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)