Saturday, June 5, 2010

Happy Trails To You

Today, June 5th, is National Trails Day. It's a great excuse to get outside today or tomorrow and enjoy the trails that volunteers work hard to keep in good condition. You can do a small part by picking up a piece of trash you see along the way. Hey, it's a fun way to burn those calories, right?

Ironically, I will not be on the trails this weekend. Rachel's 15th birthday is tomorrow so I'm busy getting ready for that. I can't believe she is growing up so fast. Where does the time go?!


Friday we met a group at Huntsville State Park for a picnic, socializing and swimming. I brought my two canoes and a few folks went paddling on Lake Raven. Chuck and I took the boat out a couple of times and got to see several birds, two alligators, gar, several large fish, a green bittern's nest complete with eggs, wood ducks and some young wood ducks.

The wood duck young were amazing. They had most of their feathers but their heads still had fuzz on them. To hide from us they dove into the aquatic plants below the surface of the water. They can hold their breath for a very long time! Slowly a head would start to rise above the surface of the water. First just the eyes and beak then the back of the young duck would rise. Chuck and I sat motionless in the canoe and just watched the duck trying to be as still as possible.

It was a very nice day spent on the water. We didn't get home until 8:30pm. The kids were pretty tired. Swimming always wears them out. :)

I didn't get any pictures. I forget that it is my job to organize everything and I must have forgotten the camera. Oops. Of course I always forget it on the times we see amazing wildlife. Oh, did I mention that we found a nice little waterfall and came across a deer?!

Sunday we are taking Rachel and some of her friends to Kemah for her birthday. Should be a great day to burn off some more calories. I haven't been on the scale and frankly I like it that way. I'm going to gauge my progress by how my clothes fit for a while and see how that works out.

Tomorrow evening I need to run!!! Must get ready for the half marathon. So far I am on schedule on my training. Yeah!

Hope you have a great weekend. :)

4 comments:

  1. So cute about the baby ducks hiding from you!

    Happy Birthday Rachel! Hope you have a wonderful day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy BDay!
    The trash on the road side.....
    I pick it up, too.
    It will always be there.
    5 feet away from a trash can.
    so I pick it up!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)