Saturday, June 26, 2010

Run, Run as Fast as You Can.....

Sadly, Chuck's grandfather passed away on the evening of June 24th at 5:45pm. He was removed from life support and passed peacefully away. He had lived a full life in his 88 years including a happy marriage to his wife of 65 years.

He will definitely be missed. This is the last photo taken of him on Father's Day this year. The next day he was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in the lung). He never recovered.

He was really ready to go. Every day he missed his wife. I can't even imagine losing my Chuck. I'm so glad that Grandpa was able to spend all of his days coherent and mobile until the end. No suffering with a long disease. The wake is Sunday (I hate wakes with a purple passion) and the funeral will be Monday.
Friday night we had tickets for members' night at the George Observatory through the Houston Museum of Natural Science. It was fantastic! They had free snacks and drinks for us and we got a behind the scenes tour of their largest telescope. We also got to see the space station pass right over our heads!!! Oh yeah. It was cool.

Later we got to see the moon rise and then we went back tot he large telescope to see the rings of Saturn and two of its moons. It was incredible! I could have stared at it all night. Beautiful.

Then we went to the "smaller" telescope, which is still huge, and got to see the M13 globule of stars. Thousands and thousands of them. It looked like looking at a cotton ball there were so many.

If you ever get a chance to go to an observatory GO! It's amazing.

It's now Saturday morning and I hit the new jogging trail in my neighborhood. Using my Garmin I found out that it's .6 miles which drives me a little nuts because I'd like it to either be a full mile or a clean half mile. Not .6! I guess when I was a child I was touched by the obsessive compulsive angel. :D

It's a sad state of affairs when 7:15am is too hot to go for a run. Really. But I did it. Woohoo! OK, I really took it easy because it was so friggin' hot and my foot still wasn't 100%. The foot didn't give me too much trouble though. I guess that means I'm back to the running schedule now.

Hope you have a great weekend. :)

7 comments:

  1. Run, Kelly, Run! Funny, I say that as I am planning on cutting back! More on that later :(

    Sorry about Chuck's grandfather :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about Chuck's dad passing. Loss is never easy. Hugs and prayers to you and your family.

    Way to go on the morning run! It is so hot, we almost need to exercise at midnight :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet picture of Chuck's Granspa...he will be missed. My sympathies to your entire family.

    I am glad to hear that the .6 bugs you, because where I run on Sundays, neither path is a standard distance and it bothers me, too! Sole sisters, indeed, lol!!!

    Good on ya for running - it isn't easy in this heat, but it's sure nice to get it over with so early, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。.................................................................                           

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poverty tries friends..................................................................                           

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear about your loss.

    Awesome job on the running. The .6 would drive me nuts too! Who makes a trail that is only .6? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Blog ,I love it, and please feel free to check my site~

    Have fun to watch my Blog Live Internet TV

    Foremylife

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)