Thursday, July 1, 2010

Hip Hop

My Life with Exercise:

I have not been out exercising as consistently as I should. Shame on me!! And I feel so good when I do. I know I sound like a broken record but things have been incredibly busy around here. Plus we have a lovely storm that has decided to park on top of our house. Thanks, Alex! I might go out walking in the rain just for fun.

I do have some running news. Chuck hears me complain about it often but it's not something I like to talk about here. Every time I run (and especially after races, it seems) my hips hurt in the sockets for a few days afterwards. Bad! I usually just think that the cause is my inexperience as a runner. I have the right shoes and I run on a gravel track now. But now the hip joints are kind of achy even though I didn't run. The weather change, maybe?

It hit me yesterday: I totally forgot that I was born breech and both of my legs were out of socket and behind my head. My mom says it looked very strange because my legs were up by my arms on my back. I had to wear a brace and sometimes a leg would pop back out of socket. The last time it popped out was when I was two. The doctor told her I might have trouble later on and that arthritis was a possibility.

I've always had trouble with my legs. My knees turn in. I'm pigeon toed. Until I was 18 sometimes I would lose feeling and control in my legs and just drop to the ground. It was the strangest thing. It's like they just weren't there anymore.

So it has me wondering if some of my hip pain may be from all of that. I don't know. I'm thinking about getting it checked out though. Maybe I need to lose some more weight before it stops hurting. Ugh, I hate limitations!


My Eats:

Eats have been going pretty well. I did make the mistake of trying those Nature Valley Nut Clusters. Oh my! Those things are addictive. Advice: grab your serving then tape the bag shut and put it far away.

I've also been trying some new recipes. Last night I made the most awesome dinner: Chicken and Rotini Pasta with Vodka Cream Sauce; Zucchini Boats with Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomatoes; Light garlic bread.
The recipes for the zucchini and pasta are in the book The Most Decadent Diet Ever. Everything I have made from that book has been delicious. Try the potato chip crusted chicken. My family loves it!

I haven't been counting calories but just trying to eat things that I know are healthier. Well, I do have a little indulgence from time to time. I always have. :)

If this doesn't work for me, then I'll go back to counting calories. It's just such a pain in the arse sometimes.


My Life:

Rachel will be getting her Learner's Permit very soon. She's taking Driver's Ed at a local driving school. She hates it. Don't think I'm petty but I can't stand bad grammar. I know I'm not perfect but when a teacher says, "We ain't got no mo," it worries me. My sarcastic side wants to tell her that she just used a double negative which means she does have more. I've never read How to Make Friends and Influence People. :)

We also had Chuck's grandfather's funeral on Monday. It was a nice service. When we got there I took the kids one way while Chuck went another because he was a pall bearer. Unfortunately I entered the wrong door. I came in right by the open casket. Freakin' hell. My kids didn't want to see their grandfather dead in a casket. I tried to run passed without stopping for "hellos" but I know Rachel saw him and it made things difficult for her. Other than that it was a nice service given by a Presbyterian minister in a Lutheran church. Diversity.

As a mean mom, I'm also doing school with the kids through the summer. I know. How terrible of me! But it's not too bad and I haven't heard many complaints.

We were supposed to go camping this weekend but Hurricane Alex decided to come for a visit. We could have still gone but I don't want to be trapped in a travel trailer with the kids for 3 days. If it were just Chuck and I, it would be a different story. Charlie is a hurricane himself and would be going crazy.

Today my life will consist of grocery shopping, school, driver's ed, reading and laundry.

Hope you have a wonderful day!

7 comments:

  1. Putting a teenage daughter behind the wheel... there's just two things you need to make the experience bearable: vodka and Demerol. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, don't not (haha, I just had to throw that in) go to the doctor until you "lose some more weight" - you have a legitimate concern and really should get checked out NOW. I think we overweight people tend to blame a lot of our health problems on our weight when that is not necessarily so. What you wrote makes a lot of sense concerning the hip pain...and to tell you the truth, if I hurt for DAYS after running I probably wouldn't be running!

    Those zucchini boats look delish! Will have to make that soon - and I'm going to click in that cookbook link when I finish this comment. :)

    My sons didn't like driver's ed either - there were quite a few shady characters in the class which made them nervous. But it's a necessary evil to get them behind the wheel...and then, freedom!

    So far we haven't gotten any rain from Alex - weird. Brought my umbrella to work just in case...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... your hip pain sounds an awful lot like mine. It could be bursitis and the beginning of IT band stuff. I've been using a foam roller and doing lots of stretching IMMEDIATELY after my run and it has helped tremendously! Worth a check with the doctor though. Pain is sucky.

    UGH, driving daughter!!! I can't even bear the thought :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have something in common! I was born with dislocated hips but they didn't even know until I was about 4 months old. Then I was put in a cast (covering my hips, butt, all of one leg and the upper part all the way to my knee of the other). There was an opening in the diaper and that was all! The pictures of me are so funny! My legs are spread wide open and I used to do an army crawl!

    Good luck with the training though. I see your half marathon countdown! Mine is in 1 month from today! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get hip pain after I run also. Usually the night after my run, I am kept awake by pain from my hip down to my ankle. I keep thinking it's my weight too.

    I'm an English major and I am constantly "editing" people when they're talking. ;) I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am in fact doing laundry even as we speak!
    Glad you are not all out of socket about the hip thing!
    Food looks great - like a chef!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU SAID-
    "As a mean mom, I'm also doing school with the kids through the summer. I know. How terrible of me!"

    That doesn't sound mean to me, it sounds like very good parenting.

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Tell me what's on your mind. :)